Help - Syncro 250 Has No GTAW Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Syncro 250 Has No GTAW Output

I have a low hour Syncro 250 that I bought used about 3 years ago. I had intentions then to learn how to Tig weld and to start actively using it but I was distracted and didn't. Instead, it has sat in my dry and heated basement since then.

I've now decided its time to fire it up and get started but there's a problem which could be me the operator.

I got everything connected but there doesn't seem to be any Tig output. When I step on the footpedal the HF works fine but it seems to stay in HF mode only. Tried recleaning the area where it was grounded which made no difference. The torch and cables are all brand new as well.

I switched over to stick mode to see if it worked and had output which it does...in both DC+ and AC.

I'm a complete novice with this machine and thought I'd ask this group if my problem sounds like something familiar?

Is there something else I should check?

I appreciate this groups help.

Thanks.

Dom

I think I may have solved my own problem.

As I was switching back to TIG mode and was reconnecting the power adapter I decided to reclean with sandpaper the back of it where it makes contact with the output lug of the welder and that seems to have been the problem.

When I fired the welder back up I not only had HF but power to melt metal.

Now I just need to learn how to Tig which means you'll probably hear more from me.

Thanks for listening.

Dom

Comment

I spoke too soon.

My welder worked fine in Tig mode all day yesterday and all day today right up until I decided to install my cable cover to tidy things up. I moved the welders position but didn't unhook any cables or connections.

When I went to practice after installing the cable cover all I got was HF and no power. I took the power adapter off and recleaned it but it didn't make any difference.

Is it possible that the foot pedal or the cable connecting the pedal and welder could be the real problem?

Is there a way I can check it or bypass it in order to determine that its a problem or not?

Thank you

Dom

Comment

Sounds like a cable or connector problem.Problem might lie with the power cable, between the torch and machine. The power cable runs inside the gas hose so you cant visibly see if it has seperated.
        2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
        1- Blue star 185
        1- BOBCAT 250
        1- TRAILBLAZER 302
        1- MILLER DVI
        2- PASSPORT PLUS
        1- DYNASTY 200 DX
        1- DYNASTY 280 DX
        1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
        1- HF-251 BOX
        1- S-74D
        1- S-75DXA
        2- 12-RC SUITCASES
        1- 8-VS SUITCASE
        2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Not that new parts can't be bad, but the torch and cables are all brand new. Although they are three years old, I just took them out of the box a few days ago.

Is there a way to test the power cable?

Comment

One of the Syncrowave 250's in class wouldn't weld (hi-freq lit fine), so I switched pedals with another one. Problem fixed. It's easier when you have spare parts to try out. These welders are old and treated badly and the defective pedal worked intermittantly before it quit.

Since they belong to someone else, no one takes very good care of them. If yours is in good condition, I doubt it's the pedal; I've taken the Miller 'box' pedals apart and they're very well built.
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

Since your cables are new,I dont think that would be it.Are you able to scratch start on your tig with out high freq. ?
              2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
              1- Blue star 185
              1- BOBCAT 250
              1- TRAILBLAZER 302
              1- MILLER DVI
              2- PASSPORT PLUS
              1- DYNASTY 200 DX
              1- DYNASTY 280 DX
              1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
              1- HF-251 BOX
              1- S-74D
              1- S-75DXA
              2- 12-RC SUITCASES
              1- 8-VS SUITCASE
              2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

I'll try to scratch start it today.

I assume to do it I switch amperage adj to panel instead of remote, output control to on and turn off HF?

Then scratch the tungsten quickly on the work piece to see if starts and has weld output based on the amperage setting on the welder panel?

Thanks

Dom

Comment

Sounds like a foot control problem.
                  Take your Amp control switch and put it in panel mode.
                  Adjust your power on front of the machine to match your material thickness. ie. 1/8" .120 wall = about 120Amps

Step on the pedal and see if you have power now.

Andy

Comment

Andy, you are right, its the foot control.

Is there a way I can determine what component is bad in the foot pedal or will I need to replace the entire foot control?

Thanks

Dom

Comment

Take it apart and check that the connections are tight. There are only 5 wires. Although that wasn't the problem with the one in class. Only take out four 1/4" bolts, one on each side of the case; 2 high and 2 low. The pedal and linkage; cable and clamp stay with the top and don't need to be undone.

Miller Pedal:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Craig in Denver; 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM.
                      RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                      sigpic

Comment

Craig, I took the foot pedal apart as you suggested.

Someone had previously put solderless connectors on that looked like they might be getting a little loose so I cut them all off and replaced them. I also checked the continuity between the pins in the plug and the connections in the pedal and all seemed fine.

When I put it back together and initially tried the torch, I had HF and weak power output but then the power was gone after several more tries. Still had HF though. One thing I did notice was that the power output at the torch the few times when the pedal worked, with the welder's amperage set at 100 amps, was far less than when I switched the amperage switch to panel mode at the same 100 amp setting.

Its a guess, but it seems to me the resistor is probably bad?

Or is there a adjustment that can be made to the arm that sweeps the length of the resistor?

Since this is all new to me, I'm wondering if I can contact Miller service to discuss and order whatever parts they think I need? Or do I need to go through a LWS?

Thanks, I think I'm getting closer.

Dom

Comment

Coollx:
                          Jump up to User CP on the left side of any page and fill in your location. If you're anywhere near me, I'll bring ya my pedal.

He!! yes you can contact Miller. These guys 'r awesome. It's why I'm glad to be here.

OK, Andy; yer turn.
                          RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                          sigpic

Comment

Craig, thanks for your generous offer but I'm clear over on the east coast.

I will contact Miller service today however.

Thanks again.

Dom

Comment

Working...
                            X