Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjohn76
    replied
    When the machine shut off (it shut itself off?) did it reset either the power switch or the circuit breaker? When you say you put it back the way it was, did you try it again on the power source your brother used? If he had it on three phase, single phase puts a bit more stress on the input circuit. If you can take some pictures of the inside, we could probably help out a bit more. A picture of the back left (looking at the panel from the front) of the power cord input connections help make sure those are right for single phase. A picture of the top of the two big buss capacitors (2" diameter, 3" tall cylinders) tells whether or not they were overheating. A picture of the front of the top board, just in front of the buss capacitors, there is a component on a heat sink and a resistor just next to it that has gone out for some folks.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Very first welder I ever got I wired it properly by the colors. Problem was whoever had it before me didn’t believe the wire color was important. Once I got the green back to being green and not hot, she chooched along just fine. Fortunately it was an old transformer buzz box and nothing let the smoke out.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Looks like you have the colors used properly. It appears to have been used on 3-phase power in its last location, which is when the red wire is used.

Verify input voltage first. Does the outlet power anything else? Have you tried the welder in another outlet that works?

Verify voltage at the premises outlet, and then again on the other side of your adapter cord.

Leave a comment:

• Hose A
    replied
    First of all thanks for the responses that were given. I am 55 years of age and been working most of my lifetime with heavy truck repairs. my older brother however is the guy I turn to for metal fab and welding. The machine was purchased from a second hand consignment shop and worked good for him for at least 6to8 months prior to moving it to my home. His machine was wired for 4 prong safety locking power cord which was unavailable at my location so I removed cord end and put 3 blade 220 volt end in its place cutting red wire and using black and white as two power leads with the green as ground pin. The unit started and ran normally for 30 maybe 45 minutes and nothing was noticed different in operation by him until the machine shut off. We heard a loud pop sound right about the same time but honestly either one of us could say for sure that the machine made that noise. anyway it stopped running and after putting cord back to way it was still wont even turn on. I removed the cover again and checked the breakers for continuity and they appeared to be closed that's as far as I went so far

Leave a comment:

• jjohn76
    replied
    Originally posted by Hose A View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I wired a 4 prong cord incorrectly to the 3 prong cord so I could use a Miller dynasty 200 at home the machine worked for a while then we heard a pop sound and now it won't even turn on. Can anyone recommend where to start the troubleshooting process?
    How did you have it wired and how long is "for a while?" What were you doing when it popped (machine idle, maxing it out, ?). First thing after waiting long enough for the capacitors to discharge is taking the cover off and taking some pictures to post here if taking it to a Miller tech is not an option (that would be my first recommendation if you don't have the tools or time to troubleshoot electronics having ~1000V DC across them). I just did a write up on fixing three of these welders.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    Wiring adapters can be bad if you don’t know which wire does what. A friend of mine figured wiring a 230v cord with a regular old 115v plug on it and since his machine was dual voltage it would be fine. It was fine, for about 5 seconds before it went POP and a little puff of smoke came out.

Sounds like you might have done the same thing. Open it up and look for something obviously chooched.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    You can start by describing exactly how you wired your adapter cord, preferably with pictures. I know electricians I wouldn't trust to make adapter cords because it's not as easy as it looks.

Do you have a voltage meter and know how to use it safely? What voltage combinations do you get from the cord you made?

Where did you get the Dynasty and was it working just fine before you attempted this?

Leave a comment:

• Hose A
    replied
    I'm pretty sure that I wired a 4 prong cord incorrectly to the 3 prong cord so I could use a Miller dynasty 200 at home the machine worked for a while then we heard a pop sound and now it won't even turn on. Can anyone recommend where to start the troubleshooting process?

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    I think it depends on your power source. I have been nothing but impressed with the ability of both of my Dynasties on 115v.
    I had been welder shopping for quite some time and when I read many posts on this forum about how HIGH of amps people were getting on this lower voltage I knew I needed one. I have not been disappointed.
    I have found that about 200 ft of 10 ga. cord will get you around 115 amps on a 15 amp breaker if you don't stay there too long.
    I have run 1/8th inch 7018 uphill on a 20 amp breaker and 75 ft of 10 ga. cord rod after rod without ever popping the breaker. I was very impressed with the arc quality as well.
    At another vendor I weld regularly at a location that has me wired on one leg of a three phase box and it has an old screw in buss fuse (30 amp). I slam that set-up all day as hard as it will go on tig aluminum. When the amps get too high it sorta cuts in and out in a way very hard to describe other than WA-WA-WA and then you just back off a tad and keep right on feeding rod
    If my Dynasty would not run about any 1/8th on 115v I would probably be looking for something I had done wrong hooking it up. The first night I had my first dynasty it made over 170 amps AC tig on 115v.
    Most of the electric service in my area has 125 and 250 volts so that may be one reason I get such fabulous results with my machines.YMMV

Leave a comment:

• seattle smitty
    replied
    How about slow-blow fuses or breakers? Maybe after the initial arc-strike, the current demands are less.

Leave a comment:

• tasslehawf
    replied
    I pretty much use my maxstar 200dx exclusively off 110. My entire garage and another out-building are wired into a single 20A breaker. I am limited to 130A for Tig, and have to been mindful of my duty-cycle or a pop the breaker, but I managed to do $10k in work last year on this setup so go figure.

Oh, and I am welding mostly 1/8" wall tubing and up to 3/16 flat.

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    i have a real nice setup i use for going from 110 to 220 or three phase i'll post some pic's later today.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Here ya go

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o2240x_mil.pdf

and the wiring for the Pigtail
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• enlpck
    replied
    Originally posted by AWSGTAW View Post
    How much amps did you run when u were using stick? 80-100? with the 110
    Don't recall for sure. '18 was run a little cold to avoid popping the breaker. '11 was not a problem. For whatever reason, 6010 wasn't really runnable, even 3/32. Wouldn't hold the arc. Then again, I couldn't tell you how '10 runs on a Dynasty powered by 240V, so I don't know if it was the supply or the machine itself.

Leave a comment:

• AWSGTAW
    replied
    Originally posted by enlpck View Post
    I have used the Dyn on 120V a couple times at work. 20A circuit, it would run 3/32" 7018 ok, 6011 fin, and 6010 not much. Breaker would trip frequently if not watching the arc time (wait between sticks)

Tig was ok up to about 100A.
    How much amps did you run when u were using stick? 80-100? with the 110
    Last edited by AWSGTAW; 02-28-2009, 05:08 AM. Reason: s

Leave a comment:

Working...
X