Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enlpck
    replied
    I have used the Dyn on 120V a couple times at work. 20A circuit, it would run 3/32" 7018 ok, 6011 fin, and 6010 not much. Breaker would trip frequently if not watching the arc time (wait between sticks)

Tig was ok up to about 100A.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    There will be no difference in weld quality on the lower input voltage.

The circuit breaker for the household receptacle will be the limiting factor. When it trips, you'll have to reset it and then weld at lower currents, or at a lower duty cycle.

Whereas the machine can go as high as 200A on a 240 input, you are already going to be limited to 150A on a 120V circuit, however.

TIG welding at 100A output will draw 20.7A on your 120V circuit. Stick welding at only 90A is going to draw 27.6A, so that tells you that you will be limited to a low duty cycle to keep your circuit breaker cool, assuming even a 20A circuit. Some are only 15A. But these numbers should give you something to work with.

I got them here: http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD4-8.pdf

Leave a comment:

• AWSGTAW
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
    Wire it the same: black and white to hot and neutral and green to ground. Black and white CAN be reversed with this particular machine, just as it didn't matter which hot was black or white with the 240V input. On this machine, the red will only be used for a three-phase input. Other than that, the machine will automatically adjust to use the power you give it.

At any same output, the amperage will be double on 120V, so if you are trying to do too much, you will trip the breaker much more easily.

Thanks for the info and quick response. Good info of the black and white wires being able to reverse.

Also can you clarify the issues of using a 110 standard home plug with the miller dynasty 200dx? Does the breaker trip there for needing to reset the main breaker if the machine is set at too high of a amperage? Does it vary from the type of current our frequency/process? How high of a amperage can the machine be set on before tripping out the breaker using a 110 home outlet.? Any lost of welding consistency our the outcome/ quality using 110?

Leave a comment:

• AWSGTAW
    replied
    Originally posted by DSW View Post
    Rather than rewire the machine, you might want to just build an adapter to use it on 110v. Basically just make a short "cord" out of a 220v dryer recptical and a 110v cord with plug. Be sure and use a heavy cord like 12G.

If you do this you can quickly use the dynasty in the shop on 220v as you curently have it wired and then switch to 110 if you want to use it else where. Its alot beter to do it this way, than wire a 110v outlet to a 220v plug.

I'll Pm you some stuff also.
    First off thanks for a quick helpful reply.

Sounds like a perfect ideal there, be looking forward to your PM.

Leave a comment:

• DSW
    replied
    Rather than rewire the machine, you might want to just build an adapter to use it on 110v. Basically just make a short "cord" out of a 220v dryer recptical and a 110v cord with plug. Be sure and use a heavy cord like 12G.

If you do this you can quickly use the dynasty in the shop on 220v as you curently have it wired and then switch to 110 if you want to use it else where. Its alot beter to do it this way, than wire a 110v outlet to a 220v plug.

I'll Pm you some stuff also.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Wire it the same: black and white to hot and neutral and green to ground. Black and white CAN be reversed with this particular machine, just as it didn't matter which hot was black or white with the 240V input. On this machine, the red will only be used for a three-phase input. Other than that, the machine will automatically adjust to use the power you give it.

At any same output, the amperage will be double on 120V, so if you are trying to do too much, you will trip the breaker much more easily.

Leave a comment:

• AWSGTAW
    started a topic Miller Dynasty 200dx. 110 home outlet?

Miller Dynasty 200dx. 110 home outlet?

Hello yall

I own miller Dynasty 200dx. I currently using it with 220 3 prong dryer style plug I have the white and black wire on the left and right side of the 3 prong 220 plug. And the green wire which i assume is the ground on the top single prong. and the other phase red wire tapped off to the side. I was told to wire it this way from the man at the welding store. It works but i just want to clarify it with the gurus out here, on the safe side.

I am curious to know if i can use this welder powering it off a 110volt home plug. Has anybody done this? I remeber the salesman who sold me the welder telling me this but i never really bothered to try because i always was planning on running it off a 220, but the idea of 110volt sounds good. I wonder if there is any downfall with amperage usage while using a 110 home outlet, our if this can even be done.

Also how would i go by wire this?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanks allot
Working...
X