Tungsten grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten grinder

Does anyone have ideas for making/buying a miniature tungsten grinder/belt sander? I am tired of always walking to the sander at school (yes, I do dunk my tungsten all the time ). Any input would be appreciated. thanks in advance!

I have heard the cheap drill bit sharpeners make a good tungsten sharpener although I personally have not tried this.Examples (Drill Doctor or HarborFreight.)
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

i saw someone with a tiny little bench grinder. got to have been a 3-4" diam wheel. He used it just for tungstens. Probably wasnt much good for anything bigger!
      think it was from HF,Lows....or one of that places, but i never remember seeing one on the shelf myself. It might have been old, but was definitely cheap.

G

Comment

is this what your looking for
        http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94071
        TB 325
        TB 302
        dynasty 200sd
        spoolmatic 30a/wc24
        suitcase x-treme 12vs
        miller 211
        evolution rage 2

Comment

I am new like you and have ground my fair (unfair) share of tungsten!

I found an alternative to using a dedicated grinder that works GREAT! I showed this to a mentor of mine and he was impressed at how good/easy and precise the grind was.
          What it amounts to is exactly what Sharpie/HTP is using without the head attachment (you can hold the tungsten in a cordless drill or spin it with your hand or get one of those little holder spinners. In any regard what it is is "any" dremel tool and the standard Dremel diamond impregnated cutoff wheel. (shown in the picture) I mounted mine on the Dremel cheap drillpress stand. I turn the rig on at 5000rpm and it takes about 30 seconds to sharpen.
          You can cut-off or score and break the tungsten as well.
          Give it a go I think you will like it (heck at class you can stick the dremel in your gear bag or coat pocket)

Tim
          Attached Files
          sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
          AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
          Chaplain CMA chapter 26
          Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
          MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
          Hypertherm PM-45
          Miller 140 mig 110v
          Vtwin builder

Comment

Five tricks from a hobby point of view:
            1. Sharpen both ends of your tungsten, that will cut your trips in half.
            2. Use less stick-out so your cup bumps before your tungsten dips. A larger cup (8 or 10) works better for this, for me.
            3. No coffee on class days.
            4. Never weld from the shoulders, always set-up so you can rest your wrists or forearms on something. In some positions, I have to wear a heavy stick glove on one or both hands to do this.
            5. Learn to use laywire when possible, less chance of dipping the filler into the tungsten.
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

Those wheels on the little HF grinder will wear a grove in them on the first tungsten sharpening............You really want a diamond wheel to grind tungsten.

I picked up real nice diamond grinding wheels on Ebay that are used for lapidary work. I paid $50 for 220 grit, but they have them up to 600 grit.

Do an Ebay search for "Diamond Grinding Wheels"
              RoyB
              Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
              Miller Diversion 165
              Purox W200 O/A
              Grizzly 9957 Mill
              Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
              Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
              Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
              TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

At the bench when I was using Chem sharp, its easier than the wheel and quicker. A little bit expensive on the tungsten if misused though.

Peace,
                Paul

Comment

I have a dedicated aluminum oxide wheel on one of my 8" pedestal grinders. I keep a cordless Dewalt drill next to it when I am welding. From the time that I pull the tungsten, walk over to the grinder, chuck the tungsten, sharpen, and back is maybe 30 seconds. Trick is to sweep the tungsten across the entire face of the wheel to keep from wearing a groove. Then knock the sharp tip off with the tungsten perpindicular to the wheel with drill turning, again sweeping across. Makes for a very quick, very repeatable grind. I would never hand sharpen again without the drill.
                  Syncrowave 350
                  Coolmate 3
                  Millermatic 135
                  Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

Gentlemen, a word of caution in case some of you are new to grinding tungsten. Not sure on other types, but the particles created from grinding thoriated tungsten is hazardous. That is why many companies wont allow it on job sites any more. By the way, it is possible to sharpen tungsten (thoriated for sure) with a cutting torch and drill by heating the spinning tungsten and using the oxygen stream to remove the excess material. There is a very intense light created when doing this so you must use your welding hood.

Comment

There are a lot of ways to skin the kat I just had the Dremel and the drill press holder. No worry about the grinding dust as it a long ways away from my nostrils! I get more crap up my nose with mig and stick and barbequing steaks! (No doubt the Thoriated tungsten is not good to snort, but neither is castrol oil from a 2 stroke, Nitro methane at the drags, or Butyrate dope.

Use common sense and get back to work (or in my case Play)

Tim
                      Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                      Hypertherm PM-45
                      Miller 140 mig 110v
                      Vtwin builder

Comment

They sell a hand held tungsten grinder on ebay. It's 110v and will do 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8 electrodes. They work pretty good but they're expensive (around $300). Might be a bit steep to buy just for school but if you're planning on doing lots of TIG work in the future they are a handy tool to have. Good luck!
                        Big Blue 400D
                        Trailblazer 302
                        Miller S-32 suitcase
                        12VS suitcase
                        Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
                        Victor torches
                        Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
                        Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
                        Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Comment

My intent was to let folks know that you could use your "existing" dremel tool to do the same thing (the diamond wheel) is the same and you can use both sides. If you buy/have the dremel drill press fixture you will have a tool that you can use for many purposes and less invested then a "single use tool"

Just a thought, each to his own.

Tim
                          Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                          Hypertherm PM-45
                          Miller 140 mig 110v
                          Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by vin-man welding View Post

Yes thats what i saw

G

Comment

It's too bad arc-zone doesn't sell the 'sharpie' top that fits onto a regular dremel. Despite the fact that this thing is expensive, I still love having it.
                              Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                              RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                              Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                              Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                              http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Working...
                              X