stainless wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless wire

Is there such a thing as stainless steel flux core wire. I thought there was but i cant find it anywhere. I want to do a few small projects with stainless but don't want to by another tank for trigas. If there is such a thing could someone please tell me where I could get some.

If your welding supply on't get you any you can try weldingsupply.com, they carry some.

JTMcC
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

SS Flux-cored wire

Hey Stretch: After you price some, may want to get your gas bottle re-filled

10# spool of generic .035 308L for 304/304L & other 18-8 metals is $180.00

Dave
      Last edited by davedarragh; 02-25-2009, 11:01 AM.
      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

well my take is full of co2 argon right now. so i would have to buy another tank. I was just hoping i could get a 2# spool of stainless flux wire to get started with

Comment

SS Flux-cored wire

Stretch: Most LWS sell SS rods by the pound, you could always go that route.

Dave

Comment

Dont confuse the fact that the wire may be cored with the idea that it may be gasless. I have not seen an SS cord wire that was not intended for use with gas, mostly 75/25.

Additionally, the weld quality of a FCAW stainless is so much better than MIG or MIG-P. Its really amazing.

Comment

SS Flux-cored wire

GTA/SPEC: Yeah, I checked all of Lincoln's Blue Max are gas-shielded. The generic roll listed on weldingsupply's website is directly under the Blue Max FC-308L, so it's just the "plain vanilla" brand of the same product.

Thank you for clearing this up.

Dave

Comment

stainless wire

so if i would buy that blue max FC-308L it would work with my tank of 75% argon 25% co2. Also you'll have to excuse me here cause im really new at the hole stainless thing but what is the diffrence between say 18-8 and 316L stainless and how do tell the diffrence.

Comment

SS Flux-cored wire

Stretch: Yes, you can use C-25 gas with Blue Max "300" wires. (flux-cored)

May be a few draw backs for you, however. They only come in .045 and 1/16" dia. wire in 25# spools.

As a suggestion, if you're not "familiar" with the different types of stainless, you should really do some research.

At around $200/spool for wire, you want to make sure you're using the correct wire to "parent metal" application.

Stainless can vary in carbon, chromium, nickel, content, or be fully austenitic (CrNiMo-steels).

There's several web sites regarding material metallurgy (stainless in particular) that you may want to look into.

Hope this doesn't discourage you, but stainless properties are so different from A-36 mild steel, that one not experienced in the field would certainly be held liable for any miscues.

Dave

Comment

thanks for the infomation dave i'll do some digging and figure it out im not one to give up to easly so i'll make something work

Comment

I have used ESAB shield brite309L and it runs great with C25.

Here is what they have for self shielded wires; http://products.esabna.com/EN/home/f...693b5.87469891
                      Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X