12" vs 14" metal saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12" vs 14" metal saws

I'm in the market for a carbide tooth metal saw. I'm interested in the Makita 12", DeWalt 14' and the Milwaukee 14" models. I really like the Makita's cast base and it's miter adjustment but am wondering about the 12" blade....it seems that the only replacements I can find are from Makita. The 14" blades seem to be available through several sources. Do any of you think the trend will be the larger 14" blades? I don't want to purchase the Makita if the blades become obsolete. Any thoughts would be appreciated....thanks in advance!

I bought a refurbed Milwaukee 14" and the saw is real nice. I've only made about 3000 cuts on it though :-O
    Originally posted by ozone123 View Post
    I'm in the market for a carbide tooth metal saw. I'm interested in the Makita 12", DeWalt 14' and the Milwaukee 14" models. I really like the Makita's cast base and it's miter adjustment but am wondering about the 12" blade....it seems that the only replacements I can find are from Makita. The 14" blades seem to be available through several sources. Do any of you think the trend will be the larger 14" blades? I don't want to purchase the Makita if the blades become obsolete. Any thoughts would be appreciated....thanks in advance!

Comment

There are a LOT of guys running those Makita 12" saws. If all you cut is smaller stuff, you'll get a stiffer blade out of the 12", too. While the 14" may always be more popular, I seriously doubt you'll ever not be able to get Makita 12" blades. I run the DeWalt, though...

Comment

check out the evolution rage 3
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

i have the dewalt 14" and i'd get either the makita or milwaukee if i had it to do over again. the dewalt uses a cheap stamped base with a cheap-o fence system. either of the other two is superior.
          miller dynasty 350
          miller spectrum 1000

Comment

If you're worried about availability of blades, assuming there is only the one source, I wouldn't be ...... Makita, more than almost every other tool maker, supports their stuff long after it's no longer in production.
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Your comments have put my mind at ease somewhat...thanks! I do like the blade stiffness comment for the 12". My research so far has me leaning toward the Makita. All of my other Makita products have worked well for me in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                check out the evolution rage 3
                Do you own the Rage 3?....seems to run twice the speed as the other "dry-cut" metal saws I've been looking into. Any idea what the availablility of parts down the road might be?...thanks!

Comment

I looked at the dewalt 14" one and did not like it. I was having a hard time making my mind up with the 12" makita or the 14" Milwaukee. I liked the Makita the best. It was built a little better and the LWS had both in stock. The dewalt one was not built as good as the other two. The only reason I did not jump on the makita right off the bat, was because the milwaukee has a better warranty. But instead of spending 500 on a dry cut saw, I did the reasonable thing, I spent the 3 grand on a 14" slow speed wet saw . But if I ever need a portable dry metal saw I will get the makita. and diablo freud does make a 12" blade for 38 bucks

Comment

OK I remembered seeing the 12" metal cutting blade for $38. I have been looking for it for the last 30 mins and found it. all other places want around $100. But here it is. this is the same guy off ebay that sells lots and lots of the diablo freud blades. here is the link to his store
                    http://www.cripedistributing.com/fre...de-p-3158.html

I have never bought a blade from him, but when I was going to get the makita saw I was going to order 5 of these blades. I asked lots of questions through email to this guy and he always answered them in 24 hrs.

Comment

I purchased a Dewalt 14" a couple weeks ago from General tool. They used to carry Milwaukee and said they had a lot of trouble with them, they have had no problem with Dewalt and if they do they get the best support. The blades are less money then most and aside from the light weight vise I have had no problems so far. I wanted to be able to cut larger material as well.

The price I got was $365 so that influenced my decision as well. As well I liked the vice and base on the Mikita

Best of success,

Tim
                      Attached Files
                      sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                      AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                      Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                      Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                      MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                      Hypertherm PM-45
                      Miller 140 mig 110v
                      Vtwin builder

Comment

Is that DeWalt model#28715? I bought one last week and am using the grinding style wheel that came with it.

How does that carbide blade you got on yours work? How much does it cost? What's the life expectancy?
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't own an evolution but i looked into it. I like the miter setup better than my milwaukee. It looks like a wood miter saw but can do wood and metal. I don't remember if it has a compound feature. However the saw rotates for miter cuts like a wood saw which "seems" like it would be far better than the vice setup most dry cut saws use. I get frustrated with the Milwaukee since it only miters in one direction and can't cut short pieces. It is worth a look.

With my Milwaukee i use a squirt bottle with a water based cooling fluid to help keep the blades alive. My blades have only gone bad when i wasn't (lazy) using the squirt bottle... My .02
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Millermatic 175
                          Spectrum 375

Comment

Bamacpl,

The Saw I have (in the picture) is DEWALT DW872 14-Inch Multi-Cutter Saw

If I had have seen the one with a rotating head (like a typical wood cutting miter saw, I would have gone that route. I am going to eventually modify or make a base. (you can use a fine cut TCG blade on an high speed abrasive saw for cutting aluminum) NOT FERROUS METAL.

Tim
                            sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                            AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                            Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                            Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                            MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                            Hypertherm PM-45
                            Miller 140 mig 110v
                            Vtwin builder

Comment

http://www.evolutionpowertools.co.uk...ds_videos.html

This is the link to the evolution demo videos. Of course i'm sure that the demo is ALWAYS better than the real life example but it does look pretty useful.
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Millermatic 175
                              Spectrum 375

Comment

Working...
                              X