Trouble with no-name brand TIG collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with no-name brand TIG collets

I bought a few generic air cooled torch collets recently from my LWS and they seem to be manufactured with very sloppy regard to machining tolerances (Made in China?) . Either they are reamed too loose and I have to *crank* down on the back cap to keep the tungsten from falling out, or they are too tight and I can't adjust my stickout without using a pair of pliers. For a simple $1.50 part they are causing me a lot of frustration.

I noticed CK collets are slotted differently - supposedly in order to lock/unlock better. Any feedback on the CK collets or alternative product suggestions before I place a special order?
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Mr57,
    You are right. Alot of these cheap tig parts are not in tight tolerance. Plus they are usually made with soft copper that deflect and don't stay true which is why you are having some get tight on you.

Stay with the name brand stuff. The Weldcraft, CK, Weldtec all seem good for me.

Andy

Comment

Probably not the right place to post, but it is related.

I am new to tig welding, so I don't have alot of experience with different tig torch configurations. Here is the deal.

I have a Dynasty200dx and the WP-17 torch. I have been practicing with the standard collets, Alumina cups and decided to get a few gas lens's and see if I could get a little more from the Argon tanks and it has been suggested that the gas coverage is a little more uniform (anything to make my welds look better)
      What I am wanting to know is the insulator connection? I purchased from the LWS the "gas lens" insulator, when I installed it along with the lens it doesn't seem to fit right? Do you have to use the one that goes on the torch body (in the groove) and then the insulator for the gas lens???

I hope I am making myself clear, (I can take a picture tomorrow if not)??

Thanks--Tim
      sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
      AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
      Chaplain CMA chapter 26
      Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
      MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
      Hypertherm PM-45
      Miller 140 mig 110v
      Vtwin builder

Comment

Probably not the right place to post, but it is related.

I am new to tig welding, so I don't have alot of experience with different tig torch configurations. Here is the deal.

I have a Dynasty200dx and the WP-17 torch. I have been practicing with the standard collets, Alumina cups and decided to get a few gas lens's and see if I could get a little more from the Argon tanks and it has been suggested that the gas coverage is a little more uniform (anything to make my welds look better)
        What I am wanting to know is the insulator connection? I purchased from the LWS the "gas lens" insulator, when I installed it along with the lens it doesn't seem to fit right? Do you have to use the one that goes on the torch body (in the groove) and then the insulator for the gas lens???

I hope I am making myself clear, (I can take a picture tomorrow if not)??

Thanks--Tim
        Chaplain CMA chapter 26
        Hypertherm PM-45
        Miller 140 mig 110v
        Vtwin builder

Comment

Andy - Thanks for the confirming my suspicions. I'll go ahead and order up a reputable brand collet and that should fix the problem.

Originally posted by Ultrachop View Post
          Do you have to use the one that goes on the torch body (in the groove) and then the insulator for the gas lens???

Thanks--Tim
          Yes, that's how it's done. Leave the torch insulator (a.k.a. cup gasket) that came with your torch installed and add the gas lens insulator between it and the gas lens - you need to use both.

-Matt
          Last edited by MR.57; 02-19-2009, 11:36 PM.
          2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
          2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply! Actually I tried it that way and it worked fine so your post is confirmation (also the parts list at WP did show it sorta)

Thanks again!

Tim
            Chaplain CMA chapter 26
            Hypertherm PM-45
            Miller 140 mig 110v
            Vtwin builder

Comment

Working...
            X