Weldtec Vs CK VS Weldcraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weldtec Vs CK VS Weldcraft

Howdy, I am the proud owner of a Dynasty 350 about 3 months now and it came with a Weldcraft CS310 torch.

The torch works fine at lower amps and takes the WP-20 front end parts.

I have decided it would be nice to have some other options. Seems smaller is better in some regards to tig torches, but it really seems at this point the 18 series torch is a better option than the CS310.

More consumables and pyrex kits etc.

The problem I'm having is deciding among the 3 since they all make an 18 series torch. Weldcraft seems to have more problems now since there outsourced. CK has a larger water jacket and brass head than standard Weldcraft or Weldtec (these guys use copper)and said they were USA made.

And then Weldtec has an 18 with copper head and is USA made. They also have a smaller WS-320.

By the way I'm welding heavy alum plate 5/8" and steel and stainless same thickness or greater.

Anybody want to offer an opinion? I"m not one of those who goes bigger is better but it seems there is some advantages and disadvantages to the consumables as well.

Thanks Jennifer

Jennifer,

I've had excellent service from my Weld-Tec torches. Even better than that from Weldcraft. I particularly like the fact that they employ mechanical hose connectors as opposed to the twist tie Weldcraft. I know Weldcraft makes a torch with the mechanical connectors (M designation), but they generally are hard to find and have to be special ordered.

Have you checked out the Weld-Tec Speedway torches. Couple friends of mine really like them.

Haven't used the CK torches but have had excellent results with their remote controls (switches).

I've been seeing the Weld-Tec 18 Series torches go for under $75 on e-bay. Most of these have the vinyl hose (I prefer the rubber), but it may be a way to see if that size torch works for you.

My favorite torch is the Weld-Tec WT-20H-25R. It is of the 20 size, takes up to a 5/32 tungsten, and is rated to 300A. Gives me everything I need with a Sync 250. Also, Weld-Tec's new cable cover is the best out there.

Just one person's opinion.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

about all we used at the last place i worked were the weldcraft WP-20s. they worked alright for what we did there, but someone brought in some thicker aluminum (approx 1/2") and the poor little thing got so hot that you could barely hold it with gloves on. then i was looking at the lines cause i kept blowing power cables and someone had the water lines on the cooler hooked into the wrong fittings so it kept pumping the water into the powerline. took that and switched it and it seemed to be able to handle some of the thicker stuff.

on another note, the speedways are not too bad. linweld left one there for us to try, and nobody else liked it cause it didnt have the flex head.. i liked it, but then again, i didnt care for the flex heads, just causes you to flex it and then it breaks after so long.

i havent used any ck's though, but i did just buy myself a southweld off ebay. its not watercooled, and it appears to be exactly the same as weldcraft, only a different name on the handle, and the powerline is red instead of black...

all i can tell you is that the wp20 is (i think) rated at 250 amps? *correct me if i am wrong* and it seemed to handle fairly well on 1/2:
      sigpic
      Miller Trailblazer 302
      Smith Torch Outfit
      Lots of Grinders
      Miller Elite Autodark Hood
      O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Thanks to the 2 who replied. Figured with the variety of people on here I'd get more responses.

I ordered the CK18-25SF today and then a pyrex kit and medium size lense kit from HTP today. My local airgas guy is really good and hooked me up for decent money.

In all my research it really seems that for the most part you really need different sizes of torches for different types of work. Small torches offer great maneuverability though less amp rating like for exhaust manifolds and tight areas,

Then for medium sized stuff well it seems a WP-20 seems to be the favorite,

Then larger more cumbersome torches for the big stuff.

I'd still love to hear what everyone is using and for what type of welding.

I have the CS310, will receive the CK18 next week and then was looking at getting something a little smaller.

Comment

the wp20 is fairly small. with handle (depending on what handle style you get) is around 6.5-7 inches long and the head is around 5/8" dia. it gets into quite small spaces especialy with stubby collet body and small back cap. flex head would probably make smaller spaces even easier.
          sigpic
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Smith Torch Outfit
          Lots of Grinders
          O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

I've got the CK 17 and 9 with Superflex cables. Real happy with both setup's. I did splurge and buy the cable covers for it also (25 ft.). Money well spent. Nice machine you have....
            Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
            Dynasty 200DX
            Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
            Trek 5500
            1966 Amphicar

Comment

sigpic
              Miller Trailblazer 302
              Smith Torch Outfit
              Lots of Grinders
              O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

I use the Weldcraft WP225 water-cooled flex torch. The thing is indestructible and fits in the smallest spaces. I run 300+ amps through it all the time with the smaller head and never have a problem. I also have a Weldcraft water-cooled WP18 for those times when I need to run 350 amps at high duty cycles.
                miller dynasty 350
                miller spectrum 1000

Comment

CK FlexLoc

I Probably shouldn't voice an opinion; however, what the heck?.

I am very much of a rookie at TIG. I do not get as much time to practice (learn) as I would like. My Dyasty 200DX came with the WP-17 with the rubber hose, I really did not like it. I have a friend who uses the CK FlexLoc in the 9 size. I tried it and really like it a lot. I found one on the net and then acquired the SuperFlex hose for it. Even though I'm a rookie, it just feels good/right to me. I also like being able to change the angle as needed.

I'm pretty sure that they make the FlexLoc in a larger model (250 amps)

http://www.ckworldwide.com/flex-loc.htm

Good luck
                  Jerry in Anchorage
                  (Temporarily in Kansas looking for ToTo)

Comment

that is true, the smaller torches are easier to manipulate, but the 9 and the 9v are air cooled and could not really handle welding on 3/8 to 1/2" alum. unless you preheat the heck out of it.
                    sigpic
                    Miller Trailblazer 302
                    Smith Torch Outfit
                    Lots of Grinders
                    O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                      about all we used at the last place i worked were the weldcraft WP-20s. they worked alright for what we did there, but someone brought in some thicker aluminum (approx 1/2") and the poor little thing got so hot that you could barely hold it with gloves on. then i was looking at the lines cause i kept blowing power cables and someone had the water lines on the cooler hooked into the wrong fittings so it kept pumping the water into the powerline. took that and switched it and it seemed to be able to handle some of the thicker stuff.

on another note, the speedways are not too bad. linweld left one there for us to try, and nobody else liked it cause it didnt have the flex head.. i liked it, but then again, i didnt care for the flex heads, just causes you to flex it and then it breaks after so long.

i havent used any ck's though, but i did just buy myself a southweld off ebay. its not watercooled, and it appears to be exactly the same as weldcraft, only a different name on the handle, and the powerline is red instead of black...

all i can tell you is that the wp20 is (i think) rated at 250 amps? *correct me if i am wrong* and it seemed to handle fairly well on 1/2:

Welderdude,

You may want to rethink your statement:

"i was looking at the lines cause i kept blowing power cables and someone had the water lines on the cooler hooked into the wrong fittings so it kept pumping the water into the powerline. "

The cooler's water is supposed to flow through the power cable. Your "someone" very well may have had something hooked up incorrectly but the coolant flowing through the power cable is correct.

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                        The cooler's water is supposed to flow through the power cable.
                        Griff
                        Yes but returning to the tank through the power cable, NOT to the torch through the power cable.
                        MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
                        Diversion 180
                        Spectrum 375 X-TREME
                        Portable Victor O/A
                        Palmgren Bench Drill Press
                        14" Evolution Dry Saw
                        IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
                        Speedglas 9100x
                        My Brain

Comment

It's impossible to cross water with gas lines on my syn350. The water has left hand threads, and the gas has right hand...
                          Dynasty 200 DX runner
                          Sync 350 LX
                          XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
                          Hobart 135
                          ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

sorry i forgot to specity that it was flowing in through the power cable
                            sigpic
                            Miller Trailblazer 302
                            Smith Torch Outfit
                            Lots of Grinders
                            O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Wow, Okay so today I received my Gas lense kit, and pyrex gas saver kit. for the CK18 which should be here tomorrow.

All I can say is WOW. The front end parts are HUGE!!!!!!!

I mean hugeeeee.

If there is a comparison between apples and pineapples this must be it when you compare the CS310 to the 18 parts. Can't believe the 17 takes the same parts. Now I can see why the 20 series is popular.

Like I said the 18 torch will be in tomorrow and maybe I'll post some pictures for ha, ha's.

Comment

Working...
                              X