MM252 or Syn 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MM252 or Syn 200

I am going to get a new welder and looking at either the MM252 or the Sync 200. I have a Hobart 175 mig right now but would like to get a nicer machine. I know they are two different types of units but trying to get some input on both.I will be using this mainly on car stuff.I do need to weld up to atleast 1/4" and I am sure 3/8" at times.I can get get either fo about the same out the door.

ren,

You really haven't given enough information for other members to be of much help.

Two totally different processes. What is it that you forsee doing?

With that said, here are my feelings.

I have the HH187, the MM251, and a Sync 250DX Tigrunner (amonst others). In terms of frequency of use, I would say the Sync 250, the HH187 and the MM251, in that order.

You already have a good mig machine that will do nearly (with proper prep) everything you need to do on an automobile.

The Sync 200 will give you tig as well as stick capability. The stick capability could be used when you find your HH175 a "little lacking".

Once you have a tig capability and learn the process, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it. Remember though, with tig, buying the power supply is just the start. There are a lot more options (torch, remotes, cups, collets, tungsten, etc, etc) that have to be considered. I have found that most people will spend nearly 50% more than the power supply to have a full tig capability.

More info on your part=better response from the board.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

Ok sorry I guess I really don't have any one thing that I will be doing.I do play more then anything. I am building a frame for a car right now but play around with suspension stuff.I do like the ideal of being able to do you thin aluminum as well. I was just thinking that maybe the 252 would the best being the i can adjust it better.

Comment

Originally posted by ren92 View Post
        Ok sorry I guess I really don't have any one thing that I will be doing.I do play more then anything. I am building a frame for a car right now but play around with suspension stuff.I do like the ideal of being able to do you thin aluminum as well. I was just thinking that maybe the 252 would the best being the i can adjust it better.
        I can adjust my F250 V10 FX4 pretty good too but a Volkswagon bug will take me in the corners every time
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Ren92,

Sundowner said it pretty well! I 'was' where you are and I purchased a Dynasty 200dx (got to fit in your budget) as there are other machines like the Syncro200 that are a lot less money. If budget and power are not a consideration then you could find a Synco250 used for a good value and they are the Bulletproof standard for Tig on both AL and ferrous metals.

As for Mig your hobart will do you well on most anything on a auto frame as I have boxed in a lot of them with a Mig of that size.

As for bigger stuff and smoother; I just purchased a new MM252 and have been playing with it with wire from .023 to .035 and for sure it is smoother than any wire feed I have run previously. It has the menu driven capability to control a lot of parameters including pre and post flow.

As for sheet metal, I have a little old miller 140 that works fine for that work.
          ONCE YOU OWN A TIG you will love the endless postential (as well you may have to join an AA support group to battle your learning frustrations!!

Best of luck!

Tim
          sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
          AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
          Chaplain CMA chapter 26
          Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
          MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
          Hypertherm PM-45
          Miller 140 mig 110v
          Vtwin builder

Comment

Working...
          X