HH-140
    Crappy stick welder
    Victor supper range II
    Makita grinder
    more stuff i don't feel like listing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastertig View Post
      Jeb!!!

Don't listen to these guys,,,, just more negativism... Especially that JT guy, I've noticed him around before.

Think about it,,,,, Everybody told Chris Columbus he was gonna sail off the edge ... He carried on anyway, and discovered this continent. If not for him, we'd all still be sitting and dancing around campfires every night, singing and chanting, to be sure the sun came up tomorrow.

And how many people told the young Mr. Steve Jobs and the young Mr. Bill Gates, "Hehe,,, cute little hobby you got there,,, Yeah, keep playing with your computers on weekends,,, Keep you outta trouble,,, but remember,, it's just a fad, you'll never make a dime off it, you'll still need to get a real job someday ..."

And how many people told Mr. Obama,,, "You know, you're a great community organizer, you write great books, you should just stop now while you're ahead." ????? Huh ????? You realize, if he didn't plow on, how close we would've been, to not having the GREATEST President ever???? I mean, I'm gonna get thousands of dollars, cities, counties, states gonna get millions and billions of dollars, Free money for everybody!!!!! AND,,,,, he's gonna balance the budget in a few years. Just read about this on the internet yesterday, he's truly a great man.

So Keep the Faith, Jeb! You got an idea, you have the passion, go for it. Who knows, maybe all these guys laughing at you today, putting you down, will tomorrow be working for "Jeb's Welding Service."

Thanks a bunch Mastertig!!! I really appreciate your support. I don't let the nay-sayers get me down though, I'm a positive outlook kinda guy for sure. It has been my dream now for sevearl years to start my sheetmetal only welding business and like I said before, I feel there really is a niche for this. Especially in this ecomomy where people need to get things fixed rather than buy new.

I still think the best way to start is with a 120V mig and no one is gonna tell me otherwise, especially with MT in my court. I know it will be hard but I have been considering getting a loan from my local credit union to do this. I think I can get around $300 for sure and maybe a little more with the couple of credit card offers I have. This would more than get me started and If I put up some flyers in the neighborhoods touting my talents I really think I could get this thing off the ground.

Craigslist is another good source and that is free so really, what do I have to lose???

I think I am just gonna go for this. I also think I won't have any kind of back-up plan because I have heard that that is a recipe for failure. I'm just gonna go full bore and try to bring in any work I can whether it's fixing taiplipes, lawnmower decks, BBQ grills or lawn furniture. I mean heck, if it get's too busy I can just hire someone to help, right???

Thanks a bunch Masterig!!!!!!!

Comment

I still think the best way to start is with a 120V mig and no one is gonna tell me otherwise, especially with MT in my court. I know it will be hard but I have been considering getting a loan from my local credit union to do this. I think I can get around $300 for sure and maybe a little more with the couple of credit card offers I have. This would more than get me started and If I put up some flyer's in the neighborhoods touting my talents I really think I could get this thing off the ground.
        Bill Gates didn't spin off a hobby, he had a business plan. I can be a cheerleader if its right but I seen a few come and go too, I am with JT and Portable on this one.

Comment

(I think I am just gonna go for this. I also think I won't have any kind of back-up plan because I have heard that that is a recipe for failure. I'm just gonna go full bore and try to bring in any work I can whether it's fixing taiplipes, lawnmower decks, BBQ grills or lawn furniture. I mean heck, if it get's too busy I can just hire someone to help, right???)

I hear ya, set your goals high!
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
            Bill Gates didn't spin off a hobby, he had a business plan. I can be a cheerleader if its right but I seen a few come and go too, I am with JT and Portable on this one.
            Who needs a business plan??? I think doing this off the cuff is the way to go man. No plan, no model, no nothing but putting myself out there and getting it done! I think when people see me pull up in my Camry wagon and pull out my HH 125EZ (I think I decided on that machine) they will be astounded at my capabilities.

What does everyone think about community college welding courses??? Should I take one first or should I just bag it and learn from the school of hard knocks. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Oh yeah, do you guy's think I would need insurance??? I'm thinking not but it never hurts to ask. I'm trying to think of where to even go to see about a quote. Does State Farm or Allstate have welding policies for sheetmetal only welding businesses???

Comment

And how many people told the young Mr. Steve Jobs and the young Mr. Bill Gates, "Hehe,,, cute little hobby you got there,,, Yeah, keep playing with your computers on weekends,,, Keep you outta trouble,,, but remember,, it's just a fad, you'll never make a dime off it, you'll still need to get a real job someday ..."
                This argument is not a substitute for reality check, one of the things those guys have is business acumen, it wasn't just sheer effort or a "wish" or "will" , most business isn't.

Comment

I also think
                  I have heard
                  Both great assets in the business world.

Comment

Hey Bro you should climb every mountain, search high and low, follow every highway, every path you know. Ford every stream, follow every rainbow, 'till you find your dream.

A dream that will need all the love you can give, every day of your life for as long as you live.
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Uh,.. are you saying he'll be married to it?

Warning to young ladies:
                      If you wear loose clothes, beware of the machinery. If you wear tight clothes, beware of the machinist.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie
                        Now you haven't even got 140 amps...are you trying to act as green as you are...now you got your machine figured out,the question now is how should you learn to weld...just fill the drawer your buddy suggested you make with JB Weld and when that runs out... at least you can say you tried...****,you might even get to show us all...let us all know how it pans out...
                        Well mister smarty pants, you should know that you can weld much thicker material with flux-core than you can with just solid wire and gas. I have been doing some major searching on this site and just found this out. That's why I'm getting the HH125EZ so I can have the ability to weld thicker sheet metal if the need arises.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post

What does everyone think about community college welding courses??? Should I take one first or should I just bag it and learn from the school of hard knocks. Any help is greatly appreciated.
                          Jeb, to be honest with you, I wouldn't waste time with the Community college ... You are smart enough, and capable enough, to figure it out quickly on your own. Note, the welder is called the HH125EZ ... It's designed so you can buy it, bring it home, plug it into the wall, and start welding. Don't even have to read the book, just go to the Hobart BB and ask over there if you have any questions.

Pretty amazing little machine, I hear, reading around the Hobart site , some of those guys swear with a little preheat from a hairdryer and multiple passes, you can actually weld up to 1/2" thick steel with it!!!!

I think your enthusiasm and self-confidence is great! If more people were like you, and willing to take risks today, and invest money in new ventures, this economy would probably be much better off.

Comment

Methinks that Jeb is jerking chains for fun at this point.
                            Miller Econotig
                            Hypertherm 380 Plasma
                            Hobart LX235 AC/DC Stick
                            Lenco Spot
                            Dan-Mig 5000

O/A Smith rig

Comment

Nuts !!!

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
                              Thanks a bunch Mastertig!!! I really appreciate your support. I don't let the nay-sayers get me down though, I'm a positive outlook kinda guy for sure. It has been my dream now for sevearl years to start my sheetmetal only welding business and like I said before, I feel there really is a niche for this. Especially in this ecomomy where people need to get things fixed rather than buy new.

I still think the best way to start is with a 120V mig and no one is gonna tell me otherwise, especially with MT in my court. I know it will be hard but I have been considering getting a loan from my local credit union to do this. I think I can get around $300 for sure and maybe a little more with the couple of credit card offers I have. This would more than get me started and If I put up some flyers in the neighborhoods touting my talents I really think I could get this thing off the ground.

Craigslist is another good source and that is free so really, what do I have to lose???

I think I am just gonna go for this. I also think I won't have any kind of back-up plan because I have heard that that is a recipe for failure. I'm just gonna go full bore and try to bring in any work I can whether it's fixing taiplipes, lawnmower decks, BBQ grills or lawn furniture. I mean heck, if it get's too busy I can just hire someone to help, right???

Thanks a bunch Masterig!!!!!!!
                              Hi;
                              Did You say you Can Get Started With $300., I think you Forgot A

Few Zero's ??

If You can Make a Living Welding BBQ Grills, I'll Eat One !!
                              Not Happenin' My GungHo Friend !!

Norm :
                              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Not that bad of an idea

Actually Jeb I believe you CAN do it. The main thing is being willing to adapt. I have actually seen people start out with less in other types of business.
                                The main thing is, do what you do as good as possible and when there is something that you know you cannot then send them to someone who can. Just be HONEST!!
                                When you begin to get some work then you will be able to see which direction you need to go as far as buying new equipment. I would suggest getting a Dynasty 200DX so you can continue to do household/residential type repairs but now would be able to fix ALUMINUM lawnmowers and lamp posts and such.
                                Using you credit card is a super idea as well Just make your payments on time and they will make you some good offers...then you can jump on that new equipment.
                                You prolly should stop by Wal-Mart and get some basic hand tools also. Just don't leave a job until you have fixed about everything they show you....word travels FAST!! The main thing is get on the job as soon as they call you and don't leave untill they pay you

Now for MY story...I have been in biz most all of my life. I have taken risks that have cost me everything I owned, but managed to pay off everyone albeit late. I took a pre-pay credit card and bought a bicycle in '97 and paid it off quick! Before long I had credit. I managed to get a loan from there and bought my Bobcat and BORROWED a freekbox!! In 18 mos I purchased a brand new 4 bedroom home with an unfinished basement. A year later I bought an acre with a shop and a large storage building which I have now paid off.
                                I would caution against using the credit cards too much tho because I do owe them a bit much now.
                                My sons were with me the whole time growing up and seen what could be done with little more than hard work and they are doing great as well.
                                So the way I see it is altho you are most likely simply stirring the pot here what you are proposing isn't all that far off from reality.
                                If you had a hammer and saw you could even moonlight as a carpenter fixing picture frames and broken chairs

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                                Miller WC-115-A
                                Miller Spectrum 300
                                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                                X