No announcement yet.

Sure are alot of welding rigs for sale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DMK - Two Thumbs Up Bud - Nicely stated.

Bob - Good Points as well.

Luckily, I am seeing a changing trend here in town. More and more Portables rolling around at 5:30 - 6:30 am than I have seen in a long while. Maybe our brothers are finally getting a break, and things are loosening up a little.

No, still no where near the traffic we had a year ago, but every positive change is just that.

Man, I am really feeling for all you guys on trucks right now.

Tighten up your belts and hang on boys - Best of Luck.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

This is why I'm buying up machines, Sell your debts off. You need a machine, We'll rent you one until the economy gets better then you can go out and buy one. You have no maintenance or downtime issues with us.

Comment

not a rig but this syncro is asking price of $1200 local to me.

" Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder - $1200 (Alexandria)

Reply to: [email protected] [?]
        Date: 2009-02-17, 9:54AM EST

Selling a Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder. This is the most well known TIG welder in history. Machine is 220V, single phase and works great. It will weld any metal. Was purchased from a welding school. Can include a full bottle of pure Argon gas for extra. Price is $1200 but I will take the best offer.

Call 703 350 2380"
        Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Things on the left side of the country here are pretty glum too. I am glad I sold off the mobile stuff when I did. There is a very nice welding skid for sale around here, $10K, welder, 5 reels, everything built of aluminum, all good to go, and by the looks of it no one is buying it. 18 months ago this would have sold for 20K and fast. One of the local fab companies laid off its 40 person staff and he is doing everything himself, the work, office, bidding, etc. I'm finding it tough scratching out enough money too. I am doing house renos most days and some shop jobs as I get them. I seem to be making about 80% of what I need to live on each month. I think (or hope) now that winter is almost over that we will see things picking up a bit.

I hope everyone hanging in there for the long run can make it. I agree it looks like it will be a little while yet before it turns around. It seems that every week there is more bad news in the air.
          hre

Comment

I'm just getting my rig all setup right now. Getting a little at a time as to what I can afford. One thing I was wondering is what kind of advertising do(or did) you guys do? Do you go out and just meet with people, or advertise on radio? I was just wondering, because I now have enough equipment that I can go out and do most jobs, and wanted to know how you got your names out there.
            sigpic
            Miller Trailblazer 302
            Smith Torch Outfit
            Lots of Grinders
            Miller Elite Autodark Hood
            O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Jeb, Reggie has a point - there is more than just pulling the trigger, and someone else mentioned insurance. Not trying to be a wet blanket but you have to consider what would happen if something you made or fixed came apart and somebody got hurt. There is a reason that there are certified weldors. As my auto upholseter once told me "the less you know about something the easier it is". The more I study the more scared I would be to weld something for money and take on that liability.
              Miller Econotig
              Hypertherm 380 Plasma
              Hobart LX235 AC/DC Stick
              Lenco Spot
              Dan-Mig 5000

O/A Smith rig

Comment

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                I'm just getting my rig all setup right now. Getting a little at a time as to what I can afford. One thing I was wondering is what kind of advertising do(or did) you guys do? Do you go out and just meet with people, or advertise on radio? I was just wondering, because I now have enough equipment that I can go out and do most jobs, and wanted to know how you got your names out there.
                90% of my work was from repeat business or word of mouth referrals. I was in the yellow pages and I'd see $10-$15K a year of work from that, so it paid for itself, but generally it was all word of mouth for me.
                hre

Comment

Jeb,

Don't listen to all the negative guys here, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do,,,,, FOLLOW your dreams!!!!!

What you posted up, I think could be a real slick setup. Easy enough to put a shelf on the bottom, to hold some tools and parts. You could also have a little thing on the back, for a bottle, and chain it up tight. Then, just add some hooks on the sides, for cords, clamps, etc. And don't forget, you'll need to keep a cordless sawzall and a cordless grinder handy!!!

Good luck, Jeb, and be sure to keep in touch, let us all know how it's going!!
                  Last edited by Mastertig; 02-22-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mastertig;179418]Jeb

Don't listen to all the negative guys here, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do,,,,, FOLLOW your dreams!!!!!

QUOTE]

There's a big difference between being a "negative guy" and being a realist.
                    When people post on the internet about starting a business they usually get a bunch of replies like you can do it, I'm sure you'll do fine, do good work and you'll do great, ra-ra-ra. These replies usually come from people who've never been in business long term if ever, or more likely from guys with a job who do part time work on the side.
                    Then, they get a few realistic comments from people actually in the business day in and day out. Those post's will always sound negative to those who've never really done it.
                    I've been feeding the kids with a stinger in my hand since 1985, good years and bad, boom or bust and like most people in my situation I've seen a ton of guys try to jump on the bandwagon during boom times only to attend the auction when they go out of business and buy their stuff at pennies on the dollar. They drop like flies, dissapearing a lot faster than they popped up. It's too bad for them as they have usually invested considerable time and effort and suffer a large loss.
                    But some of us just keep chugging along thru boom and bust, I've seen several of both, and we've never paid a bill late. The kids continue to eat well and be clothed nicely, the house is warm and my Wife/Chic drives a nice reliable Suburban. So be carefull about plastering that "negative guy" tag on folks who actually know how it goes over a span of years. They are most likely giving the best advise available on the net to newcomers to the self employed welder dude world. I've watched well over a hundred come and go since the early '90's when I went to work for myself.
                    It's similar to a salty old combat veteran 1st Sgt. telling the young men in his company that times will be hard and people will die. That's not a negative old Sargent, that's a realistic man who has been there and seen the damage that can be done trying to prepare those who have no idea what lies ahead.

JTMcC.
                    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                      90% of my work was from repeat business or word of mouth referrals. I was in the yellow pages and I'd see $10-$15K a year of work from that, so it paid for itself, but generally it was all word of mouth for me.
                      Yellow pages got me nothing but guys looking for work.All word mouth for me and a few hand placed business cards on heavy equipment in travels.
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Well said JTMcC.

I too have been at it since 1988 and I couldnt agree more.

Its not as easy as some make it sound, Its really hard to wear as many hats as we wear.
                        It takes a combination of Luck, Hard work, & long hours to make it in business.

Adam, I have been in the phone book since 1988 and agree that you dont get a ton of work out of it.
                        Its about placement, the size of the add and how much competition is out there.
                        Even though only 10% or less of my customers come from the phone book I have some of them year after year for several years that found me in the book.

I sometimes get a $25,000 job out of the phone book, and I certainly get enouph out of it to pay for itself.

On the other hand I have a buddy that his name started with a v and he rarely got any work because he was at the end of the list while I being an A started me in front of the book.

Comment

Portable Welder they are dropping like flies in the southwest right now.
                          Welding machines, tools, trucks, gang boxes, almost everything fab related is selling cheap as these guys go under.
                          There are a ton of bargains out there, I'm pretty much tooled up but some guys are making a killing on buying this stuff.
                          A year ago these same guys were trying to tell me how to run a business. On the internet and in person. They're gone. We're still standing. Like you said, it's not as easy as a lot of people think.

It's even worse in the residential and light commercial construction market, those guys are selling their stuff at auction and on craigslist for bargain basement prices. If a guy has the funds, it's a great time to be tooling up a real business and putting yourself in position to take advantage of the next big one.
                          I believe these recessions are a great opportunity, plan and prepare, put every element in place so when the next boom hits you make the maximum available, the weak have been weeded out and they will gear up too late in the game, just like the last time.

Yellow page adds never helped me but my work is quite a bit different than yours.

JTMcC.
                          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

MY neighbor down the street from my welding shop just went out of buisness. while i feel bad for the guy. He was one of these know it all kinda of guys after 4 years he told me he managed zero regular customers and 70,000 in credit card deit. I use to throw some work his way and let him help me on bigger jobs til I found out he was going back and trying to steal the work. Not every one is cut out for buisness. Some times I get good stuff from the phone book, but I also get 4 calls a week for guys wanting work, and the wheel barrell repairs . Guess the best one was guy called wanting a shovel fixed told me if I could fix it for less than ten bucks he'd give me the job.

Comment

Jeb!!!

Don't listen to these guys,,,, just more negativism... Especially that JT guy, I've noticed him around before.

Think about it,,,,, Everybody told Chris Columbus he was gonna sail off the edge ... He carried on anyway, and discovered this continent. If not for him, we'd all still be sitting and dancing around campfires every night, singing and chanting, to be sure the sun came up tomorrow.

And how many people told the young Mr. Steve Jobs and the young Mr. Bill Gates, "Hehe,,, cute little hobby you got there,,, Yeah, keep playing with your computers on weekends,,, Keep you outta trouble,,, but remember,, it's just a fad, you'll never make a dime off it, you'll still need to get a real job someday ..."

And how many people told Mr. Obama,,, "You know, you're a great community organizer, you write great books, you should just stop now while you're ahead." ????? Huh ????? You realize, if he didn't plow on, how close we would've been, to not having the GREATEST President ever???? I mean, I'm gonna get thousands of dollars, cities, counties, states gonna get millions and billions of dollars, Free money for everybody!!!!! AND,,,,, he's gonna balance the budget in a few years. Just read about this on the internet yesterday, he's truly a great man.

So Keep the Faith, Jeb! You got an idea, you have the passion, go for it. Who knows, maybe all these guys laughing at you today, putting you down, will tomorrow be working for "Jeb's Welding Service."

Comment

Originally posted by Mastertig View Post
                                Jeb!!!

Don't listen to these guys,,,, just more negativism... Especially that JT guy, I've noticed him around before.

Think about it,,,,, Everybody told Chris Columbus he was gonna sail off the edge ... He carried on anyway, and discovered this continent. If not for him, we'd all still be sitting and dancing around campfires every night, singing and chanting, to be sure the sun came up tomorrow.

And how many people told the young Mr. Steve Jobs and the young Mr. Bill Gates, "Hehe,,, cute little hobby you got there,,, Yeah, keep playing with your computers on weekends,,, Keep you outta trouble,,, but remember,, it's just a fad, you'll never make a dime off it, you'll still need to get a real job someday ..."

And how many people told Mr. Obama,,, "You know, you're a great community organizer, you write great books, you should just stop now while you're ahead." ????? Huh ????? You realize, if he didn't plow on, how close we would've been, to not having the GREATEST President ever???? I mean, I'm gonna get thousands of dollars, cities, counties, states gonna get millions and billions of dollars, Free money for everybody!!!!! AND,,,,, he's gonna balance the budget in a few years. Just read about this on the internet yesterday, he's truly a great man.

So Keep the Faith, Jeb! You got an idea, you have the passion, go for it. Who knows, maybe all these guys laughing at you today, putting you down, will tomorrow be working for "Jeb's Welding Service."
                                man are you serious nobody's trying to be negative just telling it like it is. have you ever tried to feed your family from a self employed buisness. pay your own taxes, insurance and expenses. And have to wonder when the next job will come. instead of getting all pissy you boys might want to listen to what some of the pro's have to say.

Comment

Working...
                                X