Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Torches

Hi Guys,
    This is probably a very basic question so here goes. Are all tig torches able to be used on all machines or is there a compatibility issue with the plug in ends? If they are compatible that would be great and if not are there adapters that can be used. Finally, are the adapters so costly that it would be better to buy the machine specific torch to begin with.
    Thanks,
    Becky
    Thanks Becky

Miller Matic 210

Syncrowave 250

Lincoln Weld Pac 100

Originally posted by atomic.civic View Post
    Hi Guys,
    This is probably a very basic question so here goes. Are all tig torches able to be used on all machines or is there a compatibility issue with the plug in ends? If they are compatible that would be great and if not are there adapters that can be used. Finally, are the adapters so costly that it would be better to buy the machine specific torch to begin with.
    Thanks,
    Becky
    Well if your running a water cooler, get a water cooled torch, if not then get a dry head torch, and as far as the fittings go, their are adapters for everything, and no their not costly when it comes to configuring a tig torch setup. Once you figure out whether your getting a dry head, or wet head, then you have to decide on what amperage your torch is gonna be capable of, because each torch out their has a different max amperage you can use with that torch without burning it up. Then little things like a power cable, power block, tweeco connectors, etc... is then decided.
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
      Well if your running a water cooler, get a water cooled torch, if not then get a dry head torch, and as far as the fittings go, their are adapters for everything, and no their not costly when it comes to configuring a tig torch setup. Once you figure out whether your getting a dry head, or wet head, then you have to decide on what amperage your torch is gonna be capable of, because each torch out their has a different max amperage you can use with that torch without burning it up. Then little things like a power cable, power block, tweeco connectors, etc... is then decided.
      Yo 'crud,
      Me guess you believe in the old adage "If you can't dazzle them with diamonds, baffle them with bullsh!t".
      All that typing you did and you didn't even answer the question.

The answer is, yes, all torches can be used with all machines, because the torch does not come with a machine end/adaptor. Also, you can buy just the torch or a torch and hose(s), (most popular), once again, without a machine end.
      99% of torches within their class fit that classes machine end.
      Get the machine end that fits your machine, depending on one or two piece hose, solenoid equipped machine or valved torch, water or air cooled.

Comment

Originally posted by PUMPKINHEAD View Post
        Yo 'crud,
        Me guess you believe in the old adage "If you can't dazzle them with diamonds, baffle them with bullsh!t".

The answer is, yes, all torches can be used with all machines, because the torch does not come with a machine end/adaptor. Also, you can buy just the torch or a torch and hose(s), (most popular), once again, without a machine end.
        Get the machine end that fits your machine, depending on one or two piece hose, solenoid equipped machine or valved torch, water or air cooled.
        PUMPKINHEAD,
        Thank you so much for the information.
        Becky
        Thanks Becky

Miller Matic 210

Syncrowave 250

Lincoln Weld Pac 100

Comment

Becky,

Ol Pumpkin gave you some good advice, as opposed to some other posters.

To further explain, I'll try to add a little to what Pumpkin said.

Tig torches are generally categorized as either air or water cooled torches. They are not welding machine specific as they are hooked up to the machine by using adapters which are readily available.

The most common series of torches (for your Sync 250) are the WP9 (air cooled-rated for 150A) and the WP20 (water cooled and rated for 250A). Both these torches are the same size and use the same front end parts (cups, collets, etc).

The next size up are the WP17 (air cooled-rated for around 200A) and the WP18 (water cooled and rated for 350A). These two torches are the same size and use the same front end parts.

You may find it beneficial to go to www.weldcraft.com and download their torch information. It will go into more detail than above.

I have found that if you will be welding consistently at greater than about 150A you will want a water cooled torch. The air cooled torches just get too hot to hold. That involves, most likely, adding a cooler to your system, although you may be able to get by using tap water if your water source is free of a lot of minerals.

I have been welding with the Sync 250's for over 20 years so if you have any questions, just ask. Depending on the vintage (age) of your Sync will determine what adapters you will need to hook your torch up. The older Syncs used power lugs (bolt on connectors) whereas the newer Syncs come with the standard Dinse 50mm connections.

You will not need (with the Sync) to acquire a torch with the gas valve built into the torch itself. All the Syncs have a built in gas solonoid built into the welder.

The other question, which only you can answer, is whether to go with the vinyl hose or the rubber hose. The rubber is more flexible and provides a little more "free movement" but is also a little more expensive. I tend to prefer the rubber hoses.

On my Sync 250 DX Tigrunner, my favorite setup is the WP20-25R. This is a 250A water cooled torch. The 20 signifies the size torch, the 25 signifies the length of the leads, and the R signifies rubber hose.

Hope this helps.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

Adapters and machine plugs, either OEM or other, are readily available. You simply need to find out the thread size of the torch cable and match it up. They don't cost much since they are used by everyone to mate up torches. Lenco makes a good many. Airgas/Radnor rebadges Lenco's and others and seem to have a very good selection for any torch.
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
              Becky,

Ol Pumpkin gave you some good advice, as opposed to some other posters.

To further explain, I'll try to add a little to what Pumpkin said.

Tig torches are generally categorized as either air or water cooled torches. They are not welding machine specific as they are hooked up to the machine by using adapters which are readily available.

The most common series of torches (for your Sync 250) are the WP9 (air cooled-rated for 150A) and the WP20 (water cooled and rated for 250A). Both these torches are the same size and use the same front end parts (cups, collets, etc).

The next size up are the WP17 (air cooled-rated for around 200A) and the WP18 (water cooled and rated for 350A). These two torches are the same size and use the same front end parts.

You may find it beneficial to go to www.weldcraft.com and download their torch information. It will go into more detail than above.

I have found that if you will be welding consistently at greater than about 150A you will want a water cooled torch. The air cooled torches just get too hot to hold. That involves, most likely, adding a cooler to your system, although you may be able to get by using tap water if your water source is free of a lot of minerals.

I have been welding with the Sync 250's for over 20 years so if you have any questions, just ask. Depending on the vintage (age) of your Sync will determine what adapters you will need to hook your torch up. The older Syncs used power lugs (bolt on connectors) whereas the newer Syncs come with the standard Dinse 50mm connections.

You will not need (with the Sync) to acquire a torch with the gas valve built into the torch itself. All the Syncs have a built in gas solonoid built into the welder.

The other question, which only you can answer, is whether to go with the vinyl hose or the rubber hose. The rubber is more flexible and provides a little more "free movement" but is also a little more expensive. I tend to prefer the rubber hoses.

On my Sync 250 DX Tigrunner, my favorite setup is the WP20-25R. This is a 250A water cooled torch. The 20 signifies the size torch, the 25 signifies the length of the leads, and the R signifies rubber hose.

Hope this helps.
              Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
              Adapters and machine plugs, either OEM or other, are readily available. You simply need to find out the thread size of the torch cable and match it up. They don't cost much since they are used by everyone to mate up torches. Lenco makes a good many. Airgas/Radnor rebadges Lenco's and others and seem to have a very good selection for any torch.
              Sundown III and DDA52,
              I could not have gotten the information explained any more clearly! I am currently using a WP9 air cooled torch, but I am anticipating using some thicker materials and wanted some additional information on torch selection. You would not believe how much time I spent searching and never coming up with the information you both shared.
              Thanks again
              Thanks Becky

Miller Matic 210

Syncrowave 250

Lincoln Weld Pac 100

Comment

Originally posted by PUMPKINHEAD View Post
                Yo 'crud,

hahahahahaha, you guys try so hard. I gave hime useful information, and if I didnt answer his question then my bad, but really if he said he couldnt find the info on the net, well hes not looking hard enough. Keep em coming, I like the entertainment after a hard days work
                If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Psst usmcruz:

"Hime?" You mean him? Him is a she, at least Becky (last I heard) was a lady's name. I've been known to be wrong, though.

Dave
                  "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

A show of hands that knew it couldn't last....

Quote:usmcruz
                    Your right, I promise to leave the short bus crew to argue with themselves.
                    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                    Miller DialArc 250
                    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                    Logan 7" shaper
                    Ellis 3000 band saw
                    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                    Lots of dust bunnies
                    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Comment

I'll second that!
                        Attached Files
                        Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                        Miller DialArc 250
                        Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                        Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                        Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                        Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                        South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                        Logan 7" shaper
                        Ellis 3000 band saw
                        Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                        Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                        3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                        Lots of dust bunnies
                        Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Two Aye's....motion carries.

Glad to be of service, Becky. Need any suggestions as to hookups, etc for a given torch, just yell. Some of us actually know how to do it. FWIW, Radnor's catalog used to be available online....may still be. They will have most of the parts on it. Lenco also has their inventory online. Between those two, you should be able to find most any part you will want.
                          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                          '06 12RC feeder
                          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                          Esab Multimaster 260
                          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by atomic.civic View Post
                            Hi Guys,
                            Thanks,
                            Becky

Yes, yes, yes, no.

Griff

Comment

You know I thinks you guys ROCK!!
                              Becky
                              Thanks Becky

Miller Matic 210

Syncrowave 250

Lincoln Weld Pac 100

Comment