Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I need major TIG help please.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ok I need major TIG help please.

    So in my welding class I have been doing TIG welding for the past 2 weeks n both steel (mild im guessing) and stainless and lets just say i suck. we are using sorta old Miller syncrowaves. And i havent been able to do much more than run a pathetic puddle across the base metal. But of course our teacher(haha he doesnt even show you how to weld just tells) expects me to have a puddle, bead, and butt weld done on both the steel an stainlees and i cant do it right. So any help is good. also im stuck doing aluminum this next week so if anyone has words of wisdom there ill gladly take them off your hands.
    welding gear:
    umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

    Metal working gear:
    umm chainmail pliersx2
    8" bolt cutters
    and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

  • #2
    Here is a tidbit, get that lazy frigin teacher off his a$$, and make him earn his pay by teaching you right, and if he cant teach welding then get your money back and go to another school, because their is more to learn than I have energy to type it all out. Its not something I can type out anyway, Its more of a hands on type of skill. I can talk to you till your blue in the face, but until you see me run a bead, your not gonna get it.
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

    Comment


    • #3
      see heres the thing. im in high school so cant go to a different school. also the reason the teacher cant teach is cuz he cant weld worth a hoot either.
      welding gear:
      umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

      Metal working gear:
      umm chainmail pliersx2
      8" bolt cutters
      and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by usa1327 View Post
        see heres the thing. im in high school so cant go to a different school. also the reason the teacher cant teach is cuz he cant weld worth a hoot either.
        Did he start you on OA welding?
        "Better Metalworking Through Research"

        Miller Dynasty 300DX
        Miller Dynasty 200DX
        Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
        Miller Millermatic Passport

        Miller Spot Welder
        Motor-Guard stud welder

        Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey buddy, this is a video I put together explaining a tig welding fillet weld. Dont say I never did anything for you, and the rest of you dont laugh at my **** video, Im not the video making type.
          If you want peace, be prepared for war!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
            Did he start you on OA welding?
            if by OA you mean oxy/aceteylene welding then yes he did.
            welding gear:
            umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

            Metal working gear:
            umm chainmail pliersx2
            8" bolt cutters
            and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

            Comment


            • #7
              Aerometalworker is right on target.....

              I started on TIG about 7-8 years ago, and picked up the torch, was laying perfect beads in about 2 minutes on steel, took me about 5 minutes to master both aluminum and copper.

              But this is because I had been OA welding for many years before. (like for 20 years...)

              If you learn to master the torch, then TIG is super easy. If I was teaching someone to TIG, I would start them out on OA first.
              Syncrowave 350
              Coolmate 3
              Millermatic 135
              Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
                Hey buddy, this is a video I put together explaining a tig welding fillet weld. Dont say I never did anything for you, and the rest of you dont laugh at my **** video, Im not the video making type.
                thank you finally something helpfull
                welding gear:
                umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                Metal working gear:
                umm chainmail pliersx2
                8" bolt cutters
                and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
                  Hey buddy, this is a video I put together explaining a tig welding fillet weld. Dont say I never did anything for you, and the rest of you dont laugh at my **** video, Im not the video making type.


                  Ahh walking the cup...thats cheating Most of the stuff I do Im entrapped in a mess of tubing or hanging upside down and never get to rest my wrists on anything. My old shop teacher would chew us a new one for ever resting our arms or wrists, so I had to learn "free-hand". For a beginner I guess touching the cup takes one of the problems out of the way. Anyway good video!
                  "Better Metalworking Through Research"

                  Miller Dynasty 300DX
                  Miller Dynasty 200DX
                  Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                  Miller Millermatic Passport

                  Miller Spot Welder
                  Motor-Guard stud welder

                  Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
                    Aerometalworker is right on target.....

                    I started on TIG about 7-8 years ago, and picked up the torch, was laying perfect beads in about 2 minutes on steel, took me about 5 minutes to master both aluminum and copper.

                    But this is because I had been OA welding for many years before. (like for 20 years...)

                    If you learn to master the torch, then TIG is super easy. If I was teaching someone to TIG, I would start them out on OA first.
                    Actually I was just wondering if he had the coordination of OA or if this was ALL new to him. But I aggree with you whole heartedly.
                    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

                    Miller Dynasty 300DX
                    Miller Dynasty 200DX
                    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                    Miller Millermatic Passport

                    Miller Spot Welder
                    Motor-Guard stud welder

                    Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                      Actually I was just wondering if he had the coordination of OA or if this was ALL new to him. But I aggree with you whole heartedly.
                      Coordination was nothing on OA after i put the torch in my left hand not my right( im right handed so...) that way i could dip the rod into the puddle with my right. my hand isnt as shakey that way. but now that im on tig i have the torch in my right hand so idk what to do.
                      welding gear:
                      umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                      Metal working gear:
                      umm chainmail pliersx2
                      8" bolt cutters
                      and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Your comment on a pathetic puddle make me wonder what setting your machine is set at. Post up as much info as posible, steel thickness and type, tungsten size and type, amps the machine is set at and how much pedal you are using, gas settings.... I couldn't get a decent weld on 1/8" steel with the machine set at say 75 or lower as a beginner.

                        As usmcruz said I could SHOW you how to do it quite quickly but it's not that easy to explain. Everyone does it a bit differently. You are paying the teacher to TEACH you to weld! NOT WATCH! ASK FOR HELP!!!

                        Here's a suggestion you can try. Set the machine at 150amps, 3/32 red tungsten with a sharp point. gas at 15cfh, 1/8" steel flat plate no joint. 3/32 filler.

                        Now mash on the pedal and get a puddle going, back off the pedal a bit after it starts so you don't blow a hole in the steel. Hold the filler rod 1/4" from the puddle at a 20 deg angle to the plate , it's almost parallel. Move the puddle over to the filler rod. You will melt the filler with the puddle NOT the arc. Follow the filler as it melts back keeping the filler rod down on the plate and adj the heat as needed. This should run a plain bead on the plate.

                        I know I'll get flamed by a lot of the guys who want you to dip the filler but until you get the basics down I found that most can't get the eye hand coordination right at the start. After you run a few beads then start dipping.

                        Hope this helps. You will NEVER be able to do alum until you can run steel. There is just no way. It runs completely different.

                        Good luck.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DSW View Post
                          Your comment on a pathetic puddle make me wonder what setting your machine is set at. Post up as much info as posible, steel thickness and type, tungsten size and type, amps the machine is set at and how much pedal you are using, gas settings.... I couldn't get a decent weld on 1/8" steel with the machine set at say 75 or lower as a beginner.

                          As usmcruz said I could SHOW you how to do it quite quickly but it's not that easy to explain. Everyone does it a bit differently. You are paying the teacher to TEACH you to weld! NOT WATCH! ASK FOR HELP!!!

                          Here's a suggestion you can try. Set the machine at 150amps, 3/32 red tungsten with a sharp point. gas at 15cfh, 1/8" steel flat plate no joint. 3/32 filler.

                          Now mash on the pedal and get a puddle going, back off the pedal a bit after it starts so you don't blow a hole in the steel. Hold the filler rod 1/4" from the puddle at a 20 deg angle to the plate , it's almost parallel. Move the puddle over to the filler rod. You will melt the filler with the puddle NOT the arc. Follow the filler as it melts back keeping the filler rod down on the plate and adj the heat as needed. This should run a plain bead on the plate.

                          I know I'll get flamed by a lot of the guys who want you to dip the filler but until you get the basics down I found that most can't get the eye hand coordination right at the start. After you run a few beads then start dipping.

                          Hope this helps. You will NEVER be able to do alum until you can run steel. There is just no way. It runs completely different.

                          Good luck.
                          wow ok lets see. the steel rig is set to i think 95 amps its a red tipped tungstan not sure of size, argon and co2 gas mix i think, not much pedal, gas settings not sure on.

                          and the stainless rig is red tipped tungstan, still not sure diam., umm argon gas, i think i left it set at 35 amps., still not much pedal.

                          i have tried both dipping and the running the puddle over the rod and they both dont work for me( i always burn through the back of base metal.
                          welding gear:
                          umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                          Metal working gear:
                          umm chainmail pliersx2
                          8" bolt cutters
                          and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                            Ahh walking the cup...thats cheating Most of the stuff I do Im entrapped in a mess of tubing or hanging upside down and never get to rest my wrists on anything. My old shop teacher would chew us a new one for ever resting our arms or wrists, so I had to learn "free-hand". For a beginner I guess touching the cup takes one of the problems out of the way. Anyway good video!


                            I made the video with a beginner in mind. I free hand my tig welds 90% of the time, and about 10% of the time I rest it in the fillet, groove, etc... and walk it out. I could make a more advanced video, but for a guy still in high school, my video would be of more use to him, and down the road he will slowly learn the more difficult procedures. Remember Im not getting paid, so my help is a little limited, but can be had for 10 easy payments of $19.95, and my gift to you is, a free autographed beer coozy with my picture on it!. Just kidding about the coozy, but still send in your 10 easy payments.
                            If you want peace, be prepared for war!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              also this is a list of the welds the "teacher" wants to have done and turned in by May.


                              Arc Overhead Bead
                              Arc 6013 DC Bead
                              Arc 7014 Bead
                              Arc 6011 Bead
                              Arc 6011 Butt
                              Arc 6010 Butt
                              Arc 7018 Bead
                              Arc7018 Butt
                              Arc 6010/7018 Butt
                              Arc 6010/7018 Tee
                              Arc Stainless Bead
                              Arc Stainless Tee
                              Arc Aluminum Bead
                              Arc Hardsurface
                              Arc Cast Iron Bead
                              Arc Square Tubing
                              Arc Pipe
                              Oxy Bronze Bead
                              Oxy Bronze Butt
                              Oxy Bronze Lap
                              Oxy Bronze Tee
                              Oxy Bronze Cast Iron
                              Oxy Braze Cast Iron
                              Oxy Stainless Puddle
                              Oxy Stainless Bead
                              Oxy Hardsurface
                              Oxy Aluminum Butt
                              MIG Bead
                              MIG Butt
                              MIG Lap
                              MIG Tee
                              MIG Horizontal
                              MIG Vertical Down
                              MIG Vertical Up
                              Spoolgun Aluminum Bead
                              Spoolgun Aluminum Butt
                              Spoolgun Aluminum Tee
                              TIG Steel Puddle
                              TIG Steel Bead
                              TIG Steel Butt
                              TIG Stainless Puddle
                              TIG Stainless Bead
                              TIG Stainless Butt
                              TIG Aluminum Puddle
                              TIG Aluminum Bead
                              TIG Aluminum Butt
                              welding gear:
                              umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                              Metal working gear:
                              umm chainmail pliersx2
                              8" bolt cutters
                              and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X