Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tig mild steel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tig mild steel

    i need to weld some mild steel 1080 1/4" dom tubing to some suspension rod ends (daystar polyflex) which are about 3/16" thick trying to figure out how much amperage what size tung,cup, and filler to use. im gonna practice some fillets on tubing but dont have much scrap of the 1/4" to practive very many times. got some 2-3/8 pipe that im gonna practice on and cut apart to see the penetration. any tips??????????????

    using the dyn200dx with it
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    STARTS AND STRIPES BIG WINDOW ELITE

  • #2
    I use the dynasty 200DX at my work all the time, and if your running a foot pedal, and not scratch starting, then turn your amperage up to 145, which is a good range for what your wanting to weld. You will probably use anywhere from 100 to 130 amps during the welding, but 145 amps to get a nice puddle going fast. Use a 1/8" er70 or 80s filler. Use a 3/8" tig cup with a filter type collet, not the straight flow collet, because the collets with the screens in them, create more of a laminear flow which blankets the weld puddle, and works better in my opinion, but if you only have the other kind, it will still work no problem, its just a preference thing to me. If your scratch starting then set your machine to 120 amps, and work from their.
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

    Comment


    • #3
      im gonna use a foot pedal for this, all i have is open cups no gas nozzles i need to get some just havent done it yet. was gonna use 2%cer tung. gonna get some arctime all purpose soon
      MM 251
      DYNASTY 200DX
      SPECTRUM 625
      STARTS AND STRIPES BIG WINDOW ELITE

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah, I bought that arczone expensive hybrid tungsten, but I only use it for welding around the house, because that crap is expensive. Call me crazy, but the light that the hybrid tungsten gives off, makes it easier to see the puddle while welding, and in my opinion less intense. Its excellent tungsten, for the ability to be able to tig weld anything from mild steel to titanium. I use the cheaply priced ceriated, and zirconiated at work, because I hate using that thoriated crap due to the health hazards, no matter how much someone tells me their is nothing to worry about. Anything that has a half life, I leave alone!
        If you want peace, be prepared for war!

        Comment


        • #5
          "1080 mild steel DOM"" ?????

          Do you know how hard that would be? I would never call 1080 mild. Fot tubing that would be more like extra hard to me.
          Last edited by FusionKing; 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM.

          www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

          Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
            "1080 mild steel DOM"" ?????

            Do you know how hard that would be? I would never call 1080 mild. Fot tubing that would be more like extra hard to me.


            If you want peace, be prepared for war!

            Comment


            • #7
              lol i have the number wrong lookes at the sheets just plain ole mild dom
              MM 251
              DYNASTY 200DX
              SPECTRUM 625
              STARTS AND STRIPES BIG WINDOW ELITE

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
                Yeah, I bought that arczone expensive hybrid tungsten, but I only use it for welding around the house, because that crap is expensive. Call me crazy, but the light that the hybrid tungsten gives off, makes it easier to see the puddle while welding, and in my opinion less intense. Its excellent tungsten, for the ability to be able to tig weld anything from mild steel to titanium. I use the cheaply priced ceriated, and zirconiated at work, because I hate using that thoriated crap due to the health hazards, no matter how much someone tells me their is nothing to worry about. Anything that has a half life, I leave alone!
                Half Life? hmm should i be worried about using these at school then?
                welding gear:
                umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                Metal working gear:
                umm chainmail pliersx2
                8" bolt cutters
                and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by usa1327 View Post
                  Half Life? hmm should i be worried about using these at school then?

                  Im sure someone will discount me, but tungsten dust enters the lungs when you grind the tungsten if your not wearing a mask, well thoriated tungsten is the only tungsten that is radioactive. They say it's slightly radioactive, and that fact that tungsten doesnt degrade, means the tungsten dust that you breath in stays in your lungs, now couple that with the dust being radioactive. Now you have dust in your lungs that will be their forever, and on top of that, its constantly giving off radiation, and however how slight that radiation is, radiation is still radiation. When you breath in mild steel dust, the steel rusts out in your lungs, and your body gets rid of it, but not tungsten. I have never used thoriated before, nor do I ever want to. My work only has the thoriated tungsten, so I use my own non radioactive tungsten from my house. I alway's wear a respirator, even when Im not welding, so grinding the tungsten and the tungsten dust is not an issue for me. Look up the safety data on thoriated tungsten, you'll see what Im talking about. Stay safe buddy.
                  If you want peace, be prepared for war!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    so what color is the thoriated stuff again?
                    welding gear:
                    umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                    Metal working gear:
                    umm chainmail pliersx2
                    8" bolt cutters
                    and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The tip of a new thoriated tungsten stick is red, and always red tipped.
                      If you want peace, be prepared for war!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
                        The tip of a new thoriated tungsten stick is red, and always red tipped.
                        great now i feel just as safe as i did at the begging of the year( i was so afraid to come anywhere close to the OA torchs with a stricker, heck i still cant bring myself close enough to the tanks to turn them on or off)
                        welding gear:
                        umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                        Metal working gear:
                        umm chainmail pliersx2
                        8" bolt cutters
                        and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by usa1327 View Post
                          great now i feel just as safe as i did at the begging of the year( i was so afraid to come anywhere close to the OA torchs with a stricker, heck i still cant bring myself close enough to the tanks to turn them on or off)

                          Sorry man, that wasnt my intention, knowing this info will keep you safe, and unfortunately ignorance isnt bliss when it comes to working in a shop or going to welding school. If your worried, then wear a 3m respirator with a 2097 P100 pancake filter, to filter out air particle's and welding fumes. People at my work at first laughed because I wore my respirator all the time, but what was even more funny, that sometime during the straight 4 months I wore the respirator, they stopped laughing, and actually starting wearing one themselves. Now who's laughing
                          If you want peace, be prepared for war!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
                            Sorry man, that wasnt my intention, knowing this info will keep you safe, and unfortunately ignorance isnt bliss when it comes to working in a shop or going to welding school. If your worried, then wear a 3m respirator with a 2097 P100 pancake filter, to filter out air particle's and welding fumes. People at my work at first laughed because I wore my respirator all the time, but what was even more funny, that sometime during the straight 4 months I wore the respirator, they stopped laughing, and actually starting wearing one themselves. Now who's laughing
                            yea im not worried that bad i havent ever had to grind the tungstan except after someone else uses the rig theres people that ball the points, and even a guy that grinds it wrong so i have to change his mistakes
                            Last edited by usa1327; 02-07-2009, 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
                            welding gear:
                            umm duz super glue and duck tape count.

                            Metal working gear:
                            umm chainmail pliersx2
                            8" bolt cutters
                            and a 3/8" metal dowel=))

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X