Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions on how to cut 40mm stainless steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions on how to cut 40mm stainless steel?

Hey guys what advice can you offer on cutting 40mm stainless steel. My friend got a contract where he has to cut 40mm steel plates and he's planning to purchase a plasma cutter for that purpose.

I've gathered some info about plasma cutters and saw some options:
    a) A korea made 120 amperes 3 phase machine cutting capacity 40mm but quite expensive
    b) A China made machine 100 amperes 3 phase 35mm cutting capacity about 50% cheaper
    c) A China made machine 120 amperes 3 phase 40mm cutting capacity
    d) What does miller have to offer?

Is plasma cutting still suggested in this application? or is using cutting abrasive more appropriate?

Thanks for the help!

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...spectrum_1251/
    Ya got a good air supply?
    I think I would look into water jet, sub it out.
    Be safe
    Jeff

Give more than you get and
    you will get more than ya need.
    This is true for the good and bad
    that life puts out.

Comment

http://millerwelds.com/products/plasma/spectrum_1251/

Rated to cut SS 1.25" (32mm) at 10ipm (25cm/min), Rated to sever SS 1.75" (44mm) at 3ipm (7.6cm/min). I am sure it will outperform any Chinese or Korean machine rated at 120A, hands down, no contest.

Depends on how clean you need it. You didn't say it needed to be clean.

If you just need to cut it, you can cut stainless with an oxy-acetylene torch by adding mild steel to the cutting path either by holding a mild steel welding rod in in the cut path, or overlaying a piece of mild steel over the cut line. I know this works with stainless steel sheet metal, but man that is thick plate! I've never even seen stainless plate that thick.

Another option is ocyacetylene cutting with a flux injection head. Sprays stainless cutting flux in the oxygen stream. It is said to cut at the same speed as mild steel.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
      Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
      "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
      "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
      "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I'd go with the subcontracting to a water jet for sure as well on that material.

Comment

I'd recommend contacting Hypertherm for their recommendations. They have a machine that will cut that material, but will still require the use of mixed gases (not compressed air). The cut will still not be as good as that achieved with a water jet.

Subcontracting it out to a water jet is probably (as cruiser suggested) your best option.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

Cutting Stainless

In general there is not an air plasma system that will give you great results stainless this thick. Some of the multi gas systems may give you what you are looking for. You would probably be looking for a minimum of 150amps to get a decent cut for this thickness. Unfortunately we do not make a multi gas system. Hypertherm may be your best bet if you are looking to do this with plasma.
            Brian Brown
            Service Technician
            Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

milwaulike makes some saw zall blades that are called ice edge they are suposed to out preform bimetal blades (I have ever used them) depending on how much has to be cut this may work well
              This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

Metalmeltr,

Have you ever tried to cut stainless steel with a sawsall?
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Miller Brian,

Think we're totally in agreement here.

We've got the 260A Hypertherm on our CNC table and that would cut this material. With that said, the cut is still not going to be of the same quality as a cut made in mild steel.

If we were cutting this material, it would be on the water jet. That machine is unbelievable. Takes a while, but I've seen it cut a 5" block of titanium. The computer program even compensates for deflection in the cut based on material and thickness (to insure a vertical cut).
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

Thanks for your help. Some one also suggested water jet for this application but it isn't worth the cost of buying the machine. Maybe having it subcon will be the best option.

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                    Miller Brian,

Think we're totally in agreement here.

We've got the 260A Hypertherm on our CNC table and that would cut this material. With that said, the cut is still not going to be of the same quality as a cut made in mild steel.

If we were cutting this material, it would be on the water jet. That machine is unbelievable. Takes a while, but I've seen it cut a 5" block of titanium. The computer program even compensates for deflection in the cut based on material and thickness (to insure a vertical cut).

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                      Metalmeltr,

Have you ever tried to cut stainless steel with a sawsall?

Neglecting how stainless tears up a blade, it would take 10 Years to cut through 40 mm Stainless steel. Probably wouldnt even cut in a 1/4" before you need to swap blades....Water jet ........
                      Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
                      2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
                      sigpic

Comment

Plasma

A dual gas plasma, rated at about 3" can be had for ballpark 6000-7000 on the used market (23,000 new) if that is of any interest. weldersales

Comment

Working...
                        X