X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultrachop
    replied
    Jeep80,

sorry got the posts mixed up! You definetly are a natural. I don't have anymore sS to practice on right now, but I hope to get back into it soon.

Keep up the good work!

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    Ultrachop I think you were talking about my pictures. I am a bit younger than you. 22 years of age here.
    Not sure which machine it is. I know it's just a little lincoln that runs up to 200 amps only. it has a miller coolant system though. Using a red band 1/16" tungsten with i believe a #7 cup. at least that's what i think it said on the side.

I am using Stainless for practice. Not completely sure what kind guessing 308l or something like that.

have not tried aluminum. will soon though.

and yes this can definitely be a newbie thread.

Leave a comment:

• m.k.swelding
    replied
    looking Good

I like the way your welds are turning out.

Leave a comment:

• Ultrachop
    replied
    Jeep80 and MT88,

Learning with ya!! I am new to this tigging as well! MT88 your consistancy looks awesome (must be a whole lot younger then me, 56). I am just trying to get my shakes sonsistant (LOL)

What machine are you using?? I am using a (new dynasty200dx)
    Can you please post the machine settings and as well the size/style of torch and consumbables you are using??

(probably a stupid question) but it appears you are using SS (what type) as my practice on MS (cleaned doesn't look that descriptive in the heat coloring after welding)

Have you tried any Aluminum----now that is a humbling experiece###@%^%^

Keep the photos coming---and if you don't mind maybe we can use this as a "newbie" practice thread??

Tim

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    These are the best pictures I could get of the outside corners. Had to brighten them up so you could see them.

First is of the outside corner in the flat position
    second is of the outside corner vertical up.

Oh yeah i checked the filler size, it's .030 308l stainless.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    i have been doing outside corners on the 18 gauge. i just can't get any good pictures of them cause they are so **** small. doing flat and vertical ups.
    ill try to get some pictures.

Leave a comment:

• MT88
    replied
    Those look good man, I just started tig myself and really like it. You should try some corner joints on some 10 gauge thats good practice too.

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    it's been about a 5 days of practice now since the last post. They are getting a little better just not sure on the heat input, having a hard time staying consistent on that. Also went from using the foot control to the thumb control.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• usmcruz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeep80CJ7 View Post
    alright here is another pic of the same thing with a little improvement.

Its still bad, bead dime #14 is out of place. Nice work buddy.

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    alright here is another pic of the same thing with a little improvement.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• spotsineyes
    replied
    When I want to go in as straight of a line as possible, before I tack the pieces together I'll make a scratch mark on both parts. I'll set my dividers at just under 1/8" if I want the bead to be 1/4" wide. Then I flow the edge of the bead into the line and it disappears.
    With this method my beads turn out about as straight as yours, lol, yours would look robot-straight.

Leave a comment:

• usmcruz
    replied
    Looks like your right on the verge of a good weld, and the only thing I can see wrong from the pictures is that your beads are not consistent, and thats nothing practice cant fix. Other than that, looks really good, and looking at the heat affected rainbow stain, looks like you controlled your heat pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    ok this should be better. Pictures re sized.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jeep80CJ7
    replied
    Sorry for the huge pics. Been using photobucket and just tried to resize them. they stay the same size no matter what. Next time I will try and post the pics in a different way.

Thanks for the comments.
    Actually DSW no one at my work is teaching me how to do this. I just come home at night and nerd away on the computer reading the GTAW handbook and watching videos. But my boss is actually sending me to the dayshift next week to practice with our good welder(person). Heres a quote from my boss "There is no reason to grind off the rust before welding, that's why we make the welds so big." That is why i have been teaching myself. I mean he can teach me a little bit. meaning i just take anything he says and do the opposite.

anyways thanks again. I will be practicing everyday of my life. I consider every weld i place practice by trying to put the best weld down as i can to my ability. even if it is just for a stupid little street sign.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    That is pretty good, The small hiccups as you move along are only preventable with practice. Your bead width might be a bit large for 18ga but it is not varying so it is again just more practice.

I would have no issue selling that, but I believe in time you will still improve.

Keep up the good work and never be affraid of more practice.

Peace,
    Paul

Leave a comment:

Working...
X