• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcm
    • Jan 2009

HEL P-1 on a new 200DX

Hi,

Been using a new 200DX for about 40 minutes, received this error. Power cycled the machine and it appears to be working now, however the manual states:

"Indicates a malfunction in the primary power circuit caused by an overcurrent condition in the primary IGBT switching circuit. Contact a Factory Authorized Service Agent if this display is shown".

Is there possibly some function/feature now broken/damaged and needs repair and should I really take this in for service?
  • Buddy T
    • Jan 2009

200dx

I have also had the "error help1" come up on my welder or shop mechanic thinks the welder knew I didn't know what I was doing and was calling out for help I thought he may have been right but the start stop switch on the torch seemed to be the issue I still get the help thing turning the torch on and off seems to correct it have not had any problems with my 200dx I think its a glitch thing

Comment

• cruizer
      • Oct 2004

It's kind of like a breakin period for the precharge capacitors. Some people get the Help 1, others don't. No worries. Usually happens within the first couple hours of use.

If it comes on repeatedly, turn the machine on, and leave it in idle for an hour or so.
      Last edited by cruizer; 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• davvet2
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
        It's kind of like a breakin period for the precharge capacitors. Some people get the Help 1, others don't. No worries. Usually happens within the first couple hours of use.

If it comes on repeatedly, turn the machine on, and leave it in idle for an hour or so.
        Could this same thing be happening with my 180 SD when it throws the --1 fault code and quits welding?

Thanks,

Jim
        Millermatic 210 Dual Regulators & Tanks
        Spoolmatic 3035
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Miller MSW 42 Portable Spot Welder

Comment

• cruizer
          • Oct 2004

Differnt codes mean a variety of different things to different welders. Yours I believe to be a frame or ground wire fault, that is back surging the control boards.

Comment

• davvet2
            • Oct 2005

How do I fix it ?

Thanks,

Jim
            Spoolmatic 3035
            Miller Syncrowave 200

Comment

• cruizer
              • Oct 2004

Jim, without knowing are the variables as to why your machine in throwing a help code, it becomes a virtually impossible to solve problem via the internet.

Comment

• davvet2
                • Oct 2005

OK, thanks.
                Spoolmatic 3035
                Miller Syncrowave 200

Comment

• Liam
                  • Jul 2012

200dx

I also have a 200dx only 3 months old and twice now had hel-p1 errors. Seems to only happen on dc settings and both times I had to power off and restart the machine to continue welding. The machine gets used daily and sits on idle for periods while Im fabricating or working on other machines. I did notice people said to take the cover of and check connections are tight etc but wouldn't that void warranty by taking the cover off?. I'm thinking I might put her in for a check up so. My warranty stays in tact. Although it seems common to get this error on new dynasty's I'm going to get her checked anyhow.

P.s. my wife keeps getting upset when I keep putting my miller beside my bed of a night time. Maybe she should sleep in the shed and see how she likes it . Lol

Comment

• ccawgc
                    • Mar 2010

In the maxstar and dynasty welders the help 1 can have many causes. Miller tech support has sent us 2 pages of things to look for that might cause a help 1.
                    As a machine owner the most important thing you can do. I figure out if anything with the setup or operation of the welder causes it to code. Had a maxstar 200 LX
                    in the shop last week. If you turned on the welder with the foot control plugged in you can a help 1. soon as you called for output. But it did not fault with panel control. IT turned out that it would fault any time the output was turned on and you turned the remote pot to zero. Had to use a remote test box to find this.
                    WE replaced the front panel pcb and all tests were good. No more help 1.
                    For intermittent Help 1. You need to figure what event will cause the help 1. So when you bring it in for warranty repair you can show the tech. This way when he talks to miller you have the best chance of getting it fixed right the first time.
                    Glenn 300 amp stick
                    Millermatic 35
                    L-tec plasma

Comment

• Liam
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ccawgc View Post
                      In the maxstar and dynasty welders the help 1 can have many causes. Miller tech support has sent us 2 pages of things to look for that might cause a help 1.
                      As a machine owner the most important thing you can do. I figure out if anything with the setup or operation of the welder causes it to code. Had a maxstar 200 LX
                      in the shop last week. If you turned on the welder with the foot control plugged in you can a help 1. soon as you called for output. But it did not fault with panel control. IT turned out that it would fault any time the output was turned on and you turned the remote pot to zero. Had to use a remote test box to find this.
                      WE replaced the front panel pcb and all tests were good. No more help 1.
                      For intermittent Help 1. You need to figure what event will cause the help 1. So when you bring it in for warranty repair you can show the tech. This way when he talks to miller you have the best chance of getting it fixed right the first time.
                      Well there's the problem, what causes it .?. It seems to trigger after consecutive shorts eg. First it errored was stick welding dcep and the rod kept getting stuck, old rods I should throw away I guess. Second time was dcep again welding paper thin alloy, because the material was so thin I was lift arcing and striking on the filler to run a bead before joining .. No hf was used during both errors nor did I have any pulse weld settings on.

Comment

• ccawgc
                        • Mar 2010

Try going into the hidden menus (see owners manual) And switch the low ocv to high. These welders come set from factory at 12volts ocv. If you are having problems with stick welding you can go in and change the ocv and get better starting is stick. Unless you are in Europe then high ocv is disabled.
                        The main thing is to give the repair tech enough information so he can see the welder display a help 1 code and then take all the information to miller and get you the right parts. The fact it acts up in both TIG and stick is helpful.
                        Sounds like it needs to go to a Miller warranty shop, If this is a very new (less than 1 month old) you might push for a different machine. If your does not settle down like cruzer said it might. Call miller and describe to TIG service group what is going on and see what they recommend. Have them recommend a shop in your area.
                        They know who the good ones are. If you are in northern/ central California or northern Nevada I know of a couple of good shops.
                        Glenn 300 amp stick
                        Millermatic 35
                        L-tec plasma

Comment

• Liam
                          • Jul 2012

Thanks ccawg, appreciate your input . I'll see if I can get the machine to display a help1 tomorrow .

Comment

• Liam
                            • Jul 2012

Update

Just thought I'd update how my dynasty200 is going with the help1 issue, turns out after much communication with miller and I must say they were very keen to help. They even rang me after an email to confirm how this error was showing, awesome when you have an issue and don't have to chase and ring or email over and over. Anyways turns out my inverter control board/pc1 needed a swap. Problem solved machine was gone not even one day. Thanks miller.

All I can say is after sales service is superior when it comes to miller.

Liam.

Comment

Working...
                            X