Mig welding pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig welding pics

Just wanted to post some vertical up mig welds I did on some scrap metal for practice. Hoping i can maybe get some pointers on here since i am some what new to welding.
    the first pic is just a single pass. the last two pics are of a third pass, never took a picture of a second pass.
    Any input would be appreciated.

Wow!!!!!! Looks good to me!!!!!!!!!!!
    What machine are you using, wire, speed, etc...
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

awesome, wish i can weld like that someday. by the way we love pictures here so keep em comeing
      Dylan

RED BIRD WELDING

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"

HH-140
      Crappy stick welder
      Victor supper range II
      Makita grinder
      more stuff i don't feel like listing.

Comment

Nice smooth beads and nice close ups of your pics to get a good look at your welds[ATTACH]:D[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry about inserting my pic of my boys but I finally got a pic to post but now I have to figure out how to size it down its a little big?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by safetydave; 02-01-2009, 07:40 AM.
        Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
        RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
        Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
        Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
        DeWalt chop saw-(home)
        Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
        Lincoln 225 arc welder
        Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
        assortment bar clamps

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm not sure exactly what wire, i do know it's hard wire. Not sure what type though, if there is even different kinds. The machine was a miller 251. I had my voltage set up at around 18.7 and my wire speed at around 185 ipm i believe. I'm wanting to be able to run these welds at higher settings than that for speed of welding, but not really sure if it's necessary. From what i understand anything under 21 volts is in the short circuit transfer and is for all position welding. Correct me if i'm wrong.
          I will be posting up a second pass vertical up, outside corner, and lap joint here pretty soon.

Comment

Nice welds. Very uniform. What thickness are you welding? It looks like one pass is good enough in the first pic. In the second pic, it looks like you don't even need the third pass (although it is pretty). Just enough to finish covering your joint and leave a little reinforcement. You don't want to put too much heat into your metal with extra passes.

J
            Last edited by jasonspoon; 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM. Reason: added text
            "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Jeep80CJ7

Very nice! I am new to the forum as well and learn from every thread!
              What plate thickness and type of fit-up? The last picture looks like there is a little open root? was you first pass a stringer hot pass? then two weave over that?

Thanks for the pictures!

Tim
              sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
              AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
              Chaplain CMA chapter 26
              Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
              MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
              Hypertherm PM-45
              Miller 140 mig 110v
              Vtwin builder

Comment

thanks for the comments. both welds were on inside corner joints. The weld with a single pass was on two pieces that were cut out of a 10" channel on our plasma table at work, so 1/4" plates about, maybe a hair thicker. The third pass weld was done on a 1/4" plate as well. These were only for practice purposes. Any weld I do that is for a job will always be welded all the way to the end leaving no root unwelded. I am aware that when welding two plates together the legs of the welds from root to toe only need to be as thick as the thickest plate being welded together. 1/4" plate with 1/4" legs, 1/4" plt and 3/8 plt have 3/8" legs.
                on the first pass i did a triangle pattern(everyone at my work tried teaching me the u pattern. To me it seems like you just bridge over the root doing that). built my shelf and would go straight to the root above and back down to the sides making sure I had more time spent on the sides than the middle in order to keep it as flat as possible. The second and third pass were just done with a z weave. Not sure if that is the correct pattern for mig, just what i remember in school with stick welding.
                Last edited by Jeep80CJ7; 02-02-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

looking Good

You do good work. I wouldn't complain any on that kind of work.
                  Keep it up.

Comment

I am not worthy....!! So will you do a butt weld on 20 gauge sheet metal w/ your MIG and post those out here?? I would like to see a step-by-step procedure of how you do it with pictures of each step, machine settings, gas settings, wire size used, stick-out, backhand or forehand, welding speed, blah, blah, blah.... That would help a hack like me..... I hope you consider my request. You obviously have the skills to do the "thicker" stuff.

Comment

Alpharat

Ill give it a go for ya buddy. I can only get my hands on some 18 g elec galvanized but 18 g and 20 g are pretty close. The only thing I can recommend right now without actually trying it is tack tack tack and make sure you have good fit up. I would not try to run a bead across it myself just for the fact you will only be able to get so far before your wire just blows right through. then you would have a nice gaping hole to fill.

honestly i'm Probably not the best person for this i have only been welding for 6 months now on the job and 6 months worth of school two times a week for 4 hours. But like I said i will give it a go, sounds fun.

Comment

Jeep, dude - the welds you showed on the 1/4" were pretty amazing. An expert welder would probably be able to find something to improve upon, but to me they looked amazing !! If you have that skill on the 1/4" you have the skill to handle thinner stuff, I would think. If you are "welding on the job" as you say, you are qualified !!!

So try it on flat sheet metal - butt weld. I am learning here - check out my thread called "Welding Skills" and you'll see how bad my skills are !!!! I'm curious to see how yours turns out. Regarding technique, I tried running a regular bead forehand and blew through. One of the guys here (I think Vin Fab???) suggested the tack, tack method and it worked MUCH better. So I'd be curious to see how you do with that - tack weld every 2 inches or so to hold your fitment (curious what kind of gap you use) and then come back w/ tack, tack...... Thanks for your willingness to do this bro !!!

Comment

Ok this is what i got. not really the best. my machine was set at 18.5 v and wire feed at 160 ipm. used the tack method. pretty sure the holes in the weld on the back side are from not having gas on the molten puddle as it melted through. probably why a copper backing plate is used.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep80CJ7 View Post
                            Ok this is what i got. not really the best. my machine was set at 18.5 v and wire feed at 160 ipm. used the tack method. pretty sure the holes in the weld on the back side are from not having gas on the molten puddle as it melted through. probably why a copper backing plate is used.
                            Very nice !! Looks good to me. Looks like you ran a continuous string of tacks without skipping around (just judging from the shape of the HAZ) - maybe not, I think I see a restart on the right side there - not sure.....

A few questions:

1. What size wire are you using??
                            2. When you do your tacks, do you hold the gun perfectly still, rock it back and forth or what??
                            3. What is your gun angle from vertical?
                            4. Looks like you went backhand?? I presume gun was pointed away from direction of travel?
                            5. How about doing a forehand run w/ gun pointed in direction of travel?
                            6. How long do you hold the trigger on (guesstimate - half second, 1 second?)
                            7. Was this 18 gauge?
                            8. How much stickout?
                            9. What type of gas and what flowrate?
                            10. Just for curiosity sake, what type of machine are you using?
                            11. Another curiosity question - what type of wire?
                            Last edited by AlphaRat; 02-14-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

1. .035, too big for what was being welded.
                              2. no movement.
                              3. about 30 to 45
                              4. gun was pointed in direction of travel.
                              6.as soon as i pull the trigger i let it go.
                              7. 18 g
                              8. half inch about.
                              9. co2, between 20 and 25 cfh
                              10. it was either a mm251 or mm252. can't remember.
                              11. 70s-6, something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X