Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy a chop saw

what is the best brand and model of chop saw

Dunno. Which is better a Ford or a Cheby?
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Chop Saw

Originally posted by stretch View Post
      what is the best brand and model of chop saw
      I've used several, in my opinion Dewalt is The Best !!

.................. Norm :
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I've got a DeWalt 14" chop saw and I rarely use it except to cut hardened metal. It's loud, sends sparks flying all over the shop (more so than welding), and makes a dirty mess. Oh, and I get a lot of nuisance trips on 20A breakers with it.

I mostly use my Milwaukee portable band saw and must admit that it's one of my favorite tools. Darn near as fast as a cutoff saw, too. Quiet. No sparks. Very clean. And makes a cold cut.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
        Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
        "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
        "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
        "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid.

Any of the main brands are good, stay away from the "cheap" no name chinese stuff since all these are more than likely built in China..... my Makita is anyway.

Comment

Chop Saw

Bodybagger, There's No Way a 15amp. Chop Saw should trip a 20 amp. breaker ! Better Check your Wiring, a Dedicated Line Maybe??

.................... Norm :
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
              Bodybagger, There's No Way a 15amp. Chop Saw should trip a 20 amp. breaker ! Better Check your Wiring, a Dedicated Line Maybe??

.................... Norm :
              my makita does it all the time.... nothing wrong with the saw or the wiring.
              Bobcat 225NT
              Cutmaster 52
              Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
              Caterpillar TH63
              '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Mine will do it also, it has done it since day one and that was four years ago so I have 10ga wire and 30amp breaker just for my chop saw.

Comment

Go buy a Masterhand from tractor supply (cheaper than all the big names)
                  butthey havea5year warranty

Comment

dry cut chop saw vs. abrasive cut off saw

would i be better off spending the extra money to buy a dry cut chop saw over the standard chop saw. I could get one for around $500 after taxes, but the blades are $150 or more, or should i just bit the bullet and by a band saw. I just recently bought a 180 millermatic and plan on welding and fabricating as a hobby. I know i could just by a abrasive saw but i dont want to buy one and then a year later have to by something else because im fed up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch View Post
                      would i be better off spending the extra money to buy a dry cut chop saw over the standard chop saw. I could get one for around $500 after taxes, but the blades are $150 or more, or should i just bit the bullet and by a band saw. I just recently bought a 180 millermatic and plan on welding and fabricating as a hobby. I know i could just by a abrasive saw but i dont want to buy one and then a year later have to by something else because im fed up with it.
                      my Makita abrasive saw was $329.... my Jet dry bandsaw was $299, and I have been very impressed with it. You can buy a Freud dry cut blade off of ebay for about $40. just about the only thing I will use the makita for is chopping up rebar now.

Buy a dry bandsaw before standard chopsaw, IMHO...
                      Bobcat 225NT
                      Cutmaster 52
                      Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                      Caterpillar TH63
                      '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I agree with bretsk. I just bought a Harbor Freight 4x6 band saw for $199 but beware of the oil in the gearbox, change it as soon as you buy the saw. The pics tell the story. The blade should also be replaced which I plan on doing. Its still a good deal for this saw, it appears to run great, its quiet and no sparks flying around. Thanks to the guys on SFT, I was aware of this ahead of time.
                        Attached Files
                        Joe in NY

Clarke 131E Arc Welder
                        HF 4x6 bandsaw
                        Hitachi 4.5" Grinder
                        Craftsman Air Compressor

Comment

I've got 2 abrasive cutoff saws, a Milwaukee and a dewalt. I don't like the straight handle on my Milwaukee and the angle adj requires a 1/2" wrench to adj. It does stay adj once set so I usually leave that set at either 90deg or 45deg. The Dewalt has a D type handle and the angle adj uses a lever to change and lock the adj. Its faster to change but doesn't hold as accurate as the Milwaukee. I use the dewalt most of the time to rough cut metal fast if being just a tab off doesn't matter.

I have 2 band saws, an old Rockwell (porter cable) portaband, and a Carolina stationary bandsaw. These I usually use for precision cuts. Oh and the old sawzall for rough cuts.

I would love to get one of the new carbide cold saws, but I just can't justify the cost with all my existing saws. BTW I have yet to see a good carbide blade designed to run as a replacement blade in a std chopsaw. The regular cold cut blades are designed to run at a slower rpm so they will not work. I did see a guy at the metal yard the other day running a carbide blade designed for steel in a wormdrive. I asked and he said that it worked ok on steel sheet but kicked a$$ on alum sheet. I may have to look into one.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X