How dark? auto dark shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dark? auto dark shield

With mig, a miller 200, and using .035 what darkness shield do you need. I have an auto dark helmet so I can adjust it. I think I read somewhere that its not the darkness that protects you from the uv light but the makeup of the lens itself, but want to be sure before I take a chance on going blind! thanks.
    millermaitc 200
    Lincoln square wave 350
    plasma cutter
    o&A

From what i just found on the web it looks like a 10 would be ok for about 35 volts, My machine doesn't have VOLts on it I am on low at about 4 or 5 on the indicator. thanks.
    millermaitc 200
    Lincoln square wave 350
    plasma cutter
    o&A

Comment

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...dinglenses.pdf
      here is a link

I was surprised that the plasma cutting was so high, I have a small one and they recommended a #5. -
      millermaitc 200
      Lincoln square wave 350
      plasma cutter
      o&A

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc View Post
        With mig, a miller 200, and using .035 what darkness shield do you need. I have an auto dark helmet so I can adjust it. I think I read somewhere that its not the darkness that protects you from the uv light but the makeup of the lens itself, but want to be sure before I take a chance on going blind! thanks.
        use nothing lower then 10

Comment

I think the recommended shade for mig is 11, but it all comes down to personal preference. A good indicator is to weld a bead, then stop. Lift your lid, & if you see dark spots, it's too light a shade. You shouldn't see any spots after you weld for a while. Personally, I use a ten or eleven when mig welding.
          "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Originally posted by kjbllc View Post

Anywhere from 9 up to 11 depending on your personal preference. If you weld for a bit and when you lift your hood it is as if you have been staring at the sun and you are seeing bright spots turn it up a little until you find one that works for you.

Comment

Thanks for the info. kevin
              millermaitc 200
              Lincoln square wave 350
              plasma cutter
              o&A

Comment

Working...
              X