.030 or .035

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .030 or .035

I have .035 on the machine now, and was wondering how much a difference the .030 in the ability to do thinner gauge. tanks. kevin
    millermaitc 200
    Lincoln square wave 350
    plasma cutter
    o&A

.030 Wire

First, what machine do you have?

Second, there's nomenclature regarding wire sizes, wire feed speed, material thickness, voltage settings, usually decaled on back of the lid of the spool access compartment.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I am a big .030 fan on a machine under 200 amps...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

.030 doesn't give the best results with fine stuff and doesn't give the best results with heavier stuff. I use .023 for fine MIG, .035 for heavier, and .045 for productivity on heavier sections. I've used 035 on the pro mig 175 all the way up (like E-7 or 8) at 75% duty for hours at a time. I have melted the Magnum 100L gun, but the machine never even tripped thermal overload.

(the 135 trips into overload every 2 minutes no matter how little heat I use, even with .023 wire)

Now the .045 is a different story. I only use it with the power wave.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
        Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
        "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
        "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
        "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

.030 will do better than the .035 will on the thinner stuff. However, anything in that 20gauge through 1/8, .030 is great. .030 is the standard in all my race teams here in NC except on body panels where .023-.024 works better for quick tacks.

Andy

Comment

I have the millermatic 200, thanks for the replies, I am about ready to buy more wire and for the time being I am doing smaller thickness, I am thinking that the 023 might be the better choice for me. I have the .o35 now, have to do some more thinking on it though. thanks for the replies kevin
            millermaitc 200
            Lincoln square wave 350
            plasma cutter
            o&A

Comment

Wire, Wire, Wire

kjbllc: As a suggestion, if you only plan on using a certain size wire for occasional use, by a small spool. If it collects moisture and gets rusty, you're not out as much money.

Dave
              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

What about 22 or 24 gauge?? Will .03 work on that or should you go .023?

Comment

Thanks, I think I am going with the .023, Its hard to tell how much I go through, I didn't think I would use that much, but I have gone through half of an 11# spool in about 4 wks. It kind of surprised me when I opened it up. I can keep the one I am not using indoors to keep it from rusting though. kevin
                  millermaitc 200
                  Lincoln square wave 350
                  plasma cutter
                  o&A

Comment

Working...
                  X