Foot control function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot control function

I just joined the forum today. I've picked up a ton of info just browsing around, but I still have a few questions unanswered. I just picked up a like new HF251D-1 for our 10 year old Bobcat 250. It came with a flow meter, full "K" bottle of argon (initial hydro date on the bottle is 1942) and a well used torch. Question #1: If I get the foot control that hooks up to the 14 pin amp connector on the HF box, will I have arc amp control, or is that just going to help the arc start? #2: There is a 3 position switch on the box; Start/Off/Continuous. Since I don't have the foot control, will setting the toggle in the Start position eleminate needing to do a scratch start. I'm going to be using this on aluminum plate (5/16") and putting the tungsten on the aluminum seems like I'm asking for problems, but I can't get the arc to make the jump. I think that's enough for now. Any advice is going to help. Thanks in advance.

A foot control will give you amperage adjustments.To weld aluminum you must switch to continous .If you are having problems getting the arc to jump you may need a smaller tungsten.I believe though you need to have the points cleaned and adjusted. What size and amps are you using?
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

The remote will only turn the Hf on and off, torch will always be live , and NO amperage control.

Comment

I don't think the bobcat has a 14 pin plug! So i don't think the remote will work with the bobcat.
        sigpic
        Miller Trailblazer 302
        Miller 12 RC wire feeder
        Miller HF 251D-1
        Miller 175 wire feed

Comment

I dont have a foot control for mine, i use a hand control and it does adjust the amperage. But this is on my trailblazer so a bobcat im not sure.
          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
          1- Blue star 185
          1- BOBCAT 250
          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
          1- MILLER DVI
          2- PASSPORT PLUS
          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
          1- HF-251 BOX
          1- S-74D
          1- S-75DXA
          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Bobcat does not have electronic control of the weld output and does not have provisions for remote amperage or contactor control. The Trailblazer series has 2 separate rotor fields mounted on one rotor but controlled separate. One for aux power and one for weld control.
            If you want weld control ( and I would if I were you...) the Trailblazer is the way to go.

Good luck.
            Andy

Comment

Well, it's really not all that difficult to add a remote amp control to a Bobcat or any machine not having those facilities, never the less, as its a rheostat in the Bobcat, that HF unit won't remote amp with the Bobus anyways.

Comment

Thanks for the help. It turned out my low starting amperage was mainteance issue. In an act of desperation I read the owners manual. There are 2 sets of contacts in the HF251d-1 box I have. They was major oxidation between the contacts. I polished the contact surfaces and set the gape at the recomended .008". I put it all back together and fired it up. I had the setting pretty aggressive from the previous attempts at AC welding. The arc jumped about 3 ". I didn't even have my shade down yet. I felt my way to the box reset things a little more conservatively and after 3 passes I had a pretty good balance of amps/freq. and got a nice pass on my test plate.

I couldn't see how I could get remote controll when it's a manual rheostat. I just have to take it easy when I get close to the edge without a way cool things down.

Thanks again.

Carey
                Last edited by 1olddiver; 01-20-2009, 03:38 AM. Reason: content

Comment

Well all you need is a 30 ohm (depending on the serial #) rheostat, a 3 pole double throw/pull switch, a 4 wire receptacle ( or an isolated 3 wire), a plug to fit it and a small amount of wiring know how.

Comment

Working...
                  X