Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at buying a used MM350p--have a couple questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railmen
    replied
    Originally posted by mccutter View Post
    Thanks for your input, Rail.

Regarding Lemonade, and I'm not sure other manufacturers don't have this problem as well, is the price Miller charges for circuit boards. And I'm not just thinking the MM350p above, I'm thinking other models I've heard had costly boards. Weren't there issues with the XMT300? And to "upgrade" a Passport to a Passport Plus is close to a grand. And the pulse board for a Synch 250 is what, $300+. I can see why new and old-timers like the old iron with manual switches and 200lb transformers...

I hear ya some times the old SA-200 are just plain the best at times.........

they all have them that is for sure

like I always say "don't matter the name on the hood, weather it has tires or tits, you are going to have problems with it sooner or later"

Leave a comment:

• rbertalotto
    replied
    I just ran a few beads and T joints in aluminum up to 3/8" last night with a 350P......It had the "push-Pull" gun.....Simply an amazing welder! If I could find one real cheap, I'd buy it in a second!

Leave a comment:

• mccutter
    replied
    Originally posted by gordfraser View Post
    thought the 30A was built for Aluminum.
    why would you want to convert it, and to what?

G
    Like C Wagner says, I would want to pull the spool holder off and hook up the liner in it's place (among other parts). I'm just wondering if it is worth the time and money to do, keeping in mind that I don't yet own a 30A or 15A...

Leave a comment:

• mccutter
    replied
    Originally posted by Railmen View Post
    Answer to number 1: No idea but being a Miller i am sure that there is NO LEMONS( i know some one is going to jump on that one)

Railmen
    Thanks for your input, Rail.

Regarding Lemonade, and I'm not sure other manufacturers don't have this problem as well, is the price Miller charges for circuit boards. And I'm not just thinking the MM350p above, I'm thinking other models I've heard had costly boards. Weren't there issues with the XMT300? And to "upgrade" a Passport to a Passport Plus is close to a grand. And the pulse board for a Synch 250 is what, $300+. I can see why new and old-timers like the old iron with manual switches and 200lb transformers...

Leave a comment:

• mccutter
    replied
    UPDATE: Talked to someone at Miller this morning.

Originally posted by Big D View Post
    Miller struggled for a while trying to make a machine that could compete with the Power Mig 300 and finally came up with the Millermatic 350P that they sell today. In their rush to get the 350p to market the first models of the 350P had no hot start feature for welding aluminum, a must have feature to be a true professional aluminum machine like the 300 Power Mig models.

Miller then came out with the hot start feature and called it an enhancement. This required a electronics "board" change. The first buyers of the 350p were forced to buy the board to get the hot start feature ($400 - $600), I think? There was also an issue with the program for 5356 aluminum wire. The current Miller 350p lacks all the adjustable parameters, DC Tig and Stick welding features that the Lincoln 350MP has but Miller has done a great job convincing the Blue guys that they don't need them and the Lincoln is to hard to set up.

As you might guess I own a Lincoln Power Mig 300 which I purchased after I sold the Pulser. I have kept it up to date with the free software down loads from Lincolns website. I have been very happy with it. I am not partial to either Miller or Lincoln as I also own a Passport and a Dynasty 300dx.
    Thanks for the history, Big.

A guy at Miller Tech Support gave me info on "upgrading" the welder I may buy--the two circuit boards required totalled $1350! He was elaborating on the differences between the old and the new when we were cut off and by that time I had heard enough... He claimed that the "new" Aluma-Pro would work with the 350p, it would just be lacking some preset programs (software/firmware?) and variables and automatic feed motor synching between push and pull units. The old board lacks "board protection" in case the gun trigger shorts and there is no "exchange" program from old to new for circuit boards.

Soon after, I read your post and looked in my "archives" (no, I'm not a pack-rat ) to see if I had a 2005 catalog that would elaborate on "features". "Hot Start" is one reason why I'm interested in the 350p. All I had was a 2004 catalog and the MM350 was not in it. The "Pulser" was in there and appeared to be MM210/3035 spooler based and certainly lighter duty than the 350.

Can anyone elaborate on when Miller "enhanced" the MM350p? The unit I'm looking at had a date of 04-13-2005 according to the tech guy and had no service history with Miller.
    Last edited by mccutter; 01-12-2009, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Big D
    replied
    Millers 350P evolved from an earlier machine called the Millermatic Pulser. The Millermatic pulser was Millers first attempt to compete with Lincolns 300 Power Mig, now called the 350MP. The Millermatic Pulser was a only manufactured by Miller for a short time.

The Pulser was great at welding steel but terrible at aluminum, I know I had one. I purchased it new right after Miller came out with it and was very disapointed. I have learned it is best to wait a while after a new machine comes to market and let the company work the bugs out after the public puts it to the test.

Miller struggled for a while trying to make a machine that could compete with the Power Mig 300 and finally came up with the Millermatic 350P that they sell today. In their rush to get the 350p to market the first models of the 350P had no hot start feature for welding aluminum, a must have feature to be a true professional aluminum machine like the 300 Power Mig models.

Miller then came out with the hot start feature and called it an enhancement. This required a electronics "board" change. The first buyers of the 350p were forced to buy the board to get the hot start feature ($400 - $600), I think? There was also an issue with the program for 5356 aluminum wire. The current Miller 350p lacks all the adjustable parameters, DC Tig and Stick welding features that the Lincoln 350MP has but Miller has done a great job convincing the Blue guys that they don't need them and the Lincoln is to hard to set up.

As you might guess I own a Lincoln Power Mig 300 which I purchased after I sold the Pulser. I have kept it up to date with the free software down loads from Lincolns website. I have been very happy with it. I am not partial to either Miller or Lincoln as I also own a Passport and a Dynasty 300dx.
    Last edited by Big D; 01-12-2009, 06:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    You can run aluminum, solid wire and flux core wire in the 30A. You may need/ want to change liners and drive rolls based on the wire you want to use but it works with all of them. He wants to convert it to a push/ pull gun like this one http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...r_cooled__gun/.
    It is essentially the same gun with a long liner rather than the spool holder.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the older model 350p's but we just got a new one at our shop and from the limited time I have had to play with it all I can say is it rocks!!!

Leave a comment:

• gordfraser
    replied
    thought the 30A was built for Aluminum.
    why would you want to convert it, and to what?

G

Leave a comment:

• Railmen
    replied
    Originally posted by mccutter View Post
    Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm nearly certain I will be buying a used MM350p from an auto repair shop "downsizing" that used it more as a shelf than anything. Ser. #: LF046xxx with a Roughneck gun. I've read up on it and have answered most of my questions and had several answered on another forum. Here they are:

(1) This unit is about 4 years old. How does it differ from a new unit? Is this an "early model" lemon to be avoided?

(2) Will the "new" XR-Aluma-Pro push-pull work with it? I MIGHT have a job coming up welding alum. fence which could justify the purchase, somewhat... Would you recommend the 90/10 gas and pulse program for this type of construction? Is there a similar program for the 30A?

(3) Could a 30A be converted to push-pull on the cheap? I'm just noting the availability of the XR-A "pistol" but now that I think about it, I'd need the liner which could price it out of reach. Anybody done this?

(4) Warranty was 3 years on this--Is that correct?

(5) Anybody had any major problems with theirs?

Thanks for your input!

As to answer some of your questions: ( i can only answer a couple as per i have never owned or run one of them YET.)

Answer to number 1: No idea but being a Miller i am sure that there is NO LEMONS( i know some one is going to jump on that one)

Answer to number 2: Should work but might have to use alittle old gun(might be cheaper)

Answer to number 3: Yes the 30A gun can be used as a push/pull gun no problem just buy the liner from machine to gun.

Answer to number 4: yes warranty is only 3 years

Answer to number 5: Never had a problem with MINE, wait a minute i don't own one SILLY RABBIT

Railmen

Leave a comment:

• Looking at buying a used MM350p--have a couple questions...

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I'm nearly certain I will be buying a used MM350p from an auto repair shop "downsizing" that used it more as a shelf than anything. Ser. #: LF046xxx with a Roughneck gun. I've read up on it and have answered most of my questions and had several answered on another forum. Here they are:

(1) This unit is about 4 years old. How does it differ from a new unit? Is this an "early model" lemon to be avoided?

(2) Will the "new" XR-Aluma-Pro push-pull work with it? I MIGHT have a job coming up welding alum. fence which could justify the purchase, somewhat... Would you recommend the 90/10 gas and pulse program for this type of construction? Is there a similar program for the 30A?

(3) Could a 30A be converted to push-pull on the cheap? I'm just noting the availability of the XR-A "pistol" but now that I think about it, I'd need the liner which could price it out of reach. Anybody done this?

(4) Warranty was 3 years on this--Is that correct?

(5) Anybody had any major problems with theirs?

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by mccutter; 01-11-2009, 11:34 AM.
Working...
X