Moving to Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to Germany

There is a chance that I may be moving to Germany in the future and was wondering if I will be able to take my Miller 210 with me? I know the power over there is 220V and that the plugs are different. Can I just change the plug and drive on? Thanks in advance for the help!

Originally posted by Craw67 View Post
    There is a chance that I may be moving to Germany in the future and was wondering if I will be able to take my Miller 210 with me? I know the power over there is 220V and that the plugs are different. Can I just change the plug and drive on? Thanks in advance for the help!
    What is the frequency ? If you machine also runs on 50 hz then you'll be ok.

Comment

I think the Freq / Hrz over there is 60. In the past when I was over there if you used a digital alarm clock plugged into a transformer the time would always be faster because of the Hertz.

Comment

I think the Freq / Hrz over there is 60. In the past when I was over there if you used a digital alarm clock plugged into a transformer the time would always be faster because of the Hertz.
        ok, perhaps the better question is where are you moving from?
        Bobcat 225NT
        Cutmaster 52
        Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
        Caterpillar TH63
        '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I am moving from the US. Do we run 50 or 60 Hertz in the states? I can never remember?

Comment

I am moving from the US. Do we run 50 or 60 Hertz in the states? I can never remember?
            In general, North America runs 60Hz, Europe runs 50Hz. On the power plate of your MM210, does it say 60Hz only, or 50/60Hz?

transformers for 50Hz power need a larger core than ones for 60Hz...
            Bobcat 225NT
            Cutmaster 52
            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
            Caterpillar TH63
            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I am not currently co-located with my machine, it is in Kansas and I am in really sandy place working for Uncle Sam, so I can not find out what it says. If it says 50 / 60 hertz then I assume I should be able to use it with the appropriate power source?

Comment

Where are you moving in Germany? They are 50hz there. I was trying to move tere a few years back. It's pretty difficult without Uncle Sam helping you. Germans LOVE paperwork and education. Dave
                I am not currently co-located with my machine, it is in Kansas and I am in really sandy place working for Uncle Sam, so I can not find out what it says. If it says 50 / 60 hertz then I assume I should be able to use it with the appropriate power source?

Comment

Craw67,

As stated, the US is 60HZ. Germany is 50HZ.

When I lived in Germany (Stuttgart--82-85) most of my US appliances worked with a transformer (available at the thrift shop--used--don't buy new). They will run slower (and hotter), but they will work.

The Kitchenaid dishwasher we had at the time, had the solid state controls, and it didn't work at all on the 50HZ.

Much as I'd like to tell you otherwise, I don't think your MM210 will work properly on 50HZ. If nothing else, the wirefeed would be way off. I don't think Miller made the MM210 in a 50/60HZ model.

Have to tell the story and sorta give a warning. Your portable lamps will work fine on the 50HZ, 220V power. All you'll need to do is pick up the little adapters (2 round plugs (male) to the US 2 prong female) and change your bulbs to 220V. Anyway, my brother and sister-in-law showed up for a visit from the US. While my wife and I were both at work, Josie (SIL) decided to "help us out" and vacumn the quarters. Not understanding that the vacumn had to be run on a transformer, she just unpluged one of the lights and plugged the vacumn into the adapter. Said it ran like He11 (on 220V) til it "let the blue smoke out". New motor from Electrolux and all was good as new.

Stay safe. Don't be zigging when you should be zagging.

From an old "snake eater" and "engineer".
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

Looks like I will be down south, near Ansbach. Thanks for all the info from everyone. Last question, Do any of the newer MM welders work on 50 / 60 Hrz? For example if I was to buy a new 185 could I get it set up to work on European power?

Comment

Looks like I will be down south, near Ansbach. Thanks for all the info from everyone. Last question, Do any of the newer MM welders work on 50 / 60 Hrz? For example if I was to buy a new 185 could I get it set up to work on European power?
                      Click on the "Products" above

MM185=NO!!!

Passport Plus = YES!!
                      Ed Conley
                      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                      MM252
                      MM211
                      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                      TA185
                      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                      O/A set
                      SO 2020 Bender
                      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

This sounds like a good excuse to buy yourself a Dyn 200DX!...

I'm a Canadian Living in The Netherlands, and this was my choice in welder justified by the "bring it home" excuse... The difference is you could buy it there cheaper and have it here... I've bought it at a much more expensive price here... to eventually take home to Canada...

Al...

Comment

Working...
                        X