Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uhohjim
    replied
    Alpha......i've done quite a bit of hammer welding both with oxy/acetylene and mig......one option I have found with mig is hammering after you have welded and cooled......Takes a fair amount of hammer dolly work and you do have to use a little more oomph if you will but you can get satisfactory results hammeing cold. That is as long as you don't have a ton of warpage to deal with. I use use hundreds of tack welds to slowly weld the whole seam to keep warpge to a minmum. Makes it alot easier afterwards and you would be surprised how smooth you can planish the metal before even grinding the welds.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Aerometalworker
    replied
    Todd pretty much has it, hammer welding uses a forge, anvil, a little borax, and a large hammer. What you are talking about is hot planishing. It relies on having the weld itself soft as well as the base metal, with minimal bead buildup. Mig welds rarely ever adapt themselves to the process as they are hard and BIG. You will find OA welding with RG-45 filler to lend itself the best to the process. Go to www.tinmantech.com and search for videos on the subject of repairing steel body work.
    -Aaron

Leave a comment:

• tsutt
    replied
    It's not really "hammer" welding, it's weld planishing as you weld. originally for gas welding. After tack welding as you weld the seam about an inch at a time you hammer and dollie the weld while hot to stretch it back out and keep distortion to a minimum,and keep things in alignment, works really well.

Todd

Leave a comment:

• redintn
    replied
    It takes a lot of work.
    Quick google
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...iew/index.html

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    Hammer Welding ???

Originally posted by AlphaRat View Post
    I am currently using a gas shielded MIG for sheetmetal work and am not entirely happy with it. I am about to embark on a project that I believe is applicable to hammer welding. I have tried my hand briefly at hammer welding with the MIG, but I am not satisfied w/ the results.

What are you experienced guys using for hammer welding sheet metal - are you gas welding, Tig or Mig?? I would really like some advise and correct procedures for going about it before I screw up a big panel... I have searched the web with little success. Thanks.
    AlphaRat, Hi & Welcome;
    What is your defininition of Hammer Welding, I'm not sure what you mean ?

.......... Norm :

Leave a comment:

• AlphaRat
    started a topic Hammer Welding

Hammer Welding

I am currently using a gas shielded MIG for sheetmetal work and am not entirely happy with it. I am about to embark on a project that I believe is applicable to hammer welding. I have tried my hand briefly at hammer welding with the MIG, but I am not satisfied w/ the results.

What are you experienced guys using for hammer welding sheet metal - are you gas welding, Tig or Mig?? I would really like some advise and correct procedures for going about it before I screw up a big panel... I have searched the web with little success. Thanks.
    Last edited by AlphaRat; 01-09-2009, 11:12 PM.
Working...
X