Bobcat 250 or Ranger 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat 250 or Ranger 250

First I couldn't make up my mind about a Bobcat or Trailblazer. Well the Bobcat for what I need will do fine. Trying to learn I read more about the Ranger 250 having more features and better warranty, also. Well today either would of been great as I broke a piece while plowing snow.

I am ready to buy one or the other just one last shot from you pros on which one and why you buy that make.

Thanks one more time, sure enjoy reading and getting different ideas that everyone shares on this site.

Jim

Red vs. Blue

arraflipper: I remember you! I think there's about a $250.00 difference in price (Lincoln is more expensive) so is that a factor? Do you need AC welding current? The Ranger GXT has AC, the Ranger 250 does not, the Bobcat comes standard with AC/DC. Do you live in a high altitude area? They both have electric fuel pumps for the Kohler. The Ranger is 60# lighter, is a little taller, a little wider, but a little shorter than the Bobcat. So, the "footprint" is similar. They are both in the same class as "Service Truck/Farm/Home" use, though the Ranger does have a "pipe" mode for better arc control in downhill passes. They both have their distinct features, and many "arguments." This probably doesn't help much, as I really never answered your question. Sounds like either one would serve your purpose(s).

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

blue or red

I don't want to waste money, but few hundred for better machine is fine.

I don't plan using the welder at any altitude to speak of.

It will be used for repairs and a stand by generator.

I will either build or buy trailer so size isn't important.

Not sure if I need AC guess that is what I am hoping to learn so I get the right machine.

Thanks even question will help me learn more about what will be most useful for me.

Jim

Comment

If you're going to be repairing stuff.... you're going to want to have an AC option.... Nothing like welding a plow back together and having the arc decide to take a left hand turn all on it's own... AC is the only way to beat arc blow...
        Bobcat 225NT
        Cutmaster 52
        Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
        Caterpillar TH63
        '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by arraflipper View Post
          Trying to learn I read more about the Ranger 250 having more features and better warranty, also.
          Jim
          They BOTH have a 3 year parts and labor warranty, they also BOTH use the EXACT same engines which are covered under their own manufacture warranty, again BOTH the same.
          I notice the Lincoln mentions that you can purchase an extended warranty (2 years for $299) but unless you weld every day with it I hardly think that it would pay to buy the added warranty. I don't know for sure but I suspect you could purchase the same type of thing from Miller but again I hardly think you need it.

I can't remember for sure but I think you planned on using it more for a generator, if so the Bobcat has more power. On the welding side the Ranger seems to have a few more volt for a given amperage. It looks like the Ranger has the receptacle to plug a remote or wire feeder into, however if you never buy a remote or wire feeder or better yet never need them then it's kinda a useless option. Don't get me wrong I think that is something worth having however if you need to run a load at the top end of it's generator power then your money would have been better spent on the Bobcat.

Remember both teams pay marketing people to write up comparisons between both models and in their respective comparison THEY are always the best!!! Ultimately only YOU can make the choice and it has to be made based on what YOU NEED out of a machine.
          at home:
          2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
          2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
          2008 Suitcase 12RC
          Spoolmatic 30A
          WC-24
          2009 Dynasty 200DX
          2000 XMT 304
          2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Sold:MM130XP
          Sold:MM 251
          Sold:CST 280

at work:
          Invision 350MP
          Dynasty 350
          Millermatic 350P
          Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Like I always stress....does your lws have ALL the accessories for blue or red? If not, and they are seperate lws's like over here, which one carries more accessories, gives you better customer sevice, who has the best knowledge about those machines. I never looked at the lincoln forum, but I've been pretty impressed with the help you get on the bobcat on THIS forum
            I'm not late...
            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              I never looked at the lincoln forum
              There is one???

My opinion/observation:

I've never totally understood Lincoln's marketing strategy. I'll probably be challenged or corrected with this statement, but from what I see, the large majority of full time professional welders use Lincoln. I'm talking about portable trucks like we have around here for oilfield work, etc. Most carry Lincolns. I see a few Millers, but not very many compared to the Lincolns. Lincoln plays to them and obviously offers a great product. On the other end, the big box stores like Lowe's also sell Lincoln welders. Those are obviously intended for the weekend/hobby guy. However, they offer no forum that I am aware of such as this one. Miller, however, has refrained from selling thru big box stores and offers a great product thru welding supply stores that know and support the product they are selling. They also offer support here with this forum. Of the 5 welders that I have owned since the early 70s, all have been Miller or Airco (back in the old days) which were Miller made.
              Jim

Comment

true that...
                Never looked if Lincoln had one or not. I know there is SFT, Hobart, weldingweb, but I'm not a member of any others 'cept this one

Ok guys!!!! no comment!!!!!!!!(whew, thank Gosh, etc)
                I'm not late...

Comment

Bert, I wasn't being critical of your post or anything of the sort. Please don't take it that way.
                  Jim

Comment

Boy I hope I got to you in time. I have owned a Bobcat and a Trailblazer, used several small Lincolns (250's) and the Vantage series, and also own a Lincoln 200D and SA 200. For what you are doing the hands down best choice is the Trailblazer 302!!!! I had a Bobcat for six months and the arc "went out" on me. I had it in the shop half a dozen times and no one knew what was wrong with it. Miller was very good about getting me going again on the phone, and eventually replacing my machine with a new one. I opted to pay the extra money and move up to the Trailblazer and I was in love!! I have used that little machine to run a 4" well on the farm, tig all kinds of stuff-carbon and stainless, run an RC feeder, and weld x-ray pipe both up hill and down hill. It is ten times the welding machine that the Bobcat is. Also, I love the digital face, and you get the AC, which I have used and needed. When I started pipleining I steped up to a Lincoln 200D and I love it (sorry miller, the pipepro is a better bead machine, but overall the 200D is better), but I still have my Trailblazer home on the farm and I just used it last week to fab some 2".

I can't stress enough how much more machine the Trailblazer is over the Bobcat. But the prettiest girl depends on who is looking. Goodluck anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
                      Bert, I wasn't being critical of your post or anything of the sort. Please don't take it that way.
                      Absolutly didn't take it bad at all!!!!!! When I was working at the refinery, boss had 99% Lincoln 300D's.....I know Lincolns are excellent machines, just service are tons better with Miller for me....
                      I'm not late...

Comment

Ideas and Help

Hey thanks everyone for the ideas and help. I have been leaning towards the blue but had someone tell me that there were more features and the warranty was better on the red. The dealer around her sell both, so that isn't an issue. More ideas about going to a Trailbalzer again, not sure I will need or learn how to use the extra's they have. I had planned on getting a wire welder to run off the generator and to have in the shop so the geerator part is pretty important, to me. That and the stand by to power up the house sure would be nice. Lost electric for a day last two winters, and last summer not far away had no electricity for almost a week due to storms.

Will be looking hard and reading what everyone here shares with me.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

Trailblazer 302

arraflipper: If you plan on getting a wire feeder,whether it's a Voltage Sensing, or Remote Control, then by all means, get the Trailblazer instead of the Bobcat. For the difference in price, the Trailblazer is well worth it. Their newest model this year has a built in air compressor too. If you opt not to spend the $$$$ on that one, the current model will last you a very long time.

Dave in Phoenix
                          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                            AC is the only way to beat arc blow...

I really have to disagree with that.

JTMcC.
                            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                              arraflipper: If you plan on getting a wire feeder,whether it's a Voltage Sensing, or Remote Control, then by all means, get the Trailblazer instead of the Bobcat. For the difference in price, the Trailblazer is well worth it. Their newest model this year has a built in air compressor too. If you opt not to spend the $$$$ on that one, the current model will last you a very long time.

Dave in Phoenix
                              I think he was talking about a Wire machine like a MM180 and run that off the genset Power.
                              Ed Conley
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Working...