Checking Plasma Weld Depth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Plasma Weld Depth

Hello everyone. I am trying to find a way of checking the depth of a plasma weld without sectioning a part. Maybe some sort of ultrasonic equipment or something. Any ideas or direction to look would help. We have to section about 2 parts a day and we now use a wet chopsaw, polish the weld area, acid etch the part and then check the depth on a reflective comparator. This takes about 30 min. each time and wastes a $100 part. $200 a day / $1000 a week not including labor cost.....
    Rick Williams
    Miller 210
    Miller Spectrum 625

What is the thickness of the part? What is the depth of penetration you are trying for? What is the material type? What type of weld are you making?
    "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Seneca the Younger

Comment

X-Ray, dont know what one will cost. Bet it is cheaper to keep doing what you do now.
      But if you get more jobs that have the same specs, and put in the cost of the job, well you know the rest. Offer X-Ray service for weld checking.
      Be safe
      Jeff

Give more than you get and
      you will get more than ya need.
      This is true for the good and bad
      that life puts out.

Comment

Originally posted by hogan View Post
        What is the thickness of the part? What is the depth of penetration you are trying for? What is the material type? What type of weld are you making?
        We are checking a depth tolerance of .015" / .04" and it stays around .025" deep and .125" wide. The part is .170" thick. Material is 304L SS. The weld is on a rotary table and we are plasma welding about a 1.2" circle. Thanks for looking. Rick Williams
        Rick Williams
        Miller 210
        Miller Spectrum 625

Comment

Originally posted by redintn View Post
          X-Ray, dont know what one will cost. Bet it is cheaper to keep doing what you do now.
          But if you get more jobs that have the same specs, and put in the cost of the job, well you know the rest. Offer X-Ray service for weld checking.
          We have a small x-ray machine. That is for plating thicknesses only. I am trying to get some quotes for a larger one. Thanks for your time, Rick Williams
          Rick Williams
          Miller 210
          Miller Spectrum 625

Comment

I have not performed UT on SS to those tolerances, only steel. It seems that a high MHz immersion system could work. Do you have a level III? If not I would suggest that you try to contact an ASNT certified level III. What area are you in?
            "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Seneca the Younger

Comment

Originally posted by hogan View Post
              I have not performed UT on SS to those tolerances, only steel. It seems that a high MHz immersion system could work. Do you have a level III? If not I would suggest that you try to contact an ASNT certified level III. What area are you in?

We are between Rochester and Syracuse NY.
              Rick Williams
              Miller 210
              Miller Spectrum 625

Comment

Working...
              X