Aluminum bead pics from a syncrowave 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum bead pics from a syncrowave 200

I was just wondering if anybody on here would be able to post some pics for me of some beads they have laid on aluminum using a syncrowave 200 machine. I am still debating on what welder I am going to purchase. I would like to see some pics of how well it can weld on aluminum. I have tried searching, but have had no luck. If there is another thread already covering this topic then I apologize and would appreciate it if you could point me to it. Thanks!

To be perfectly honest this wouldn't be fair, as it has too much to do with operator skill and how the machine is set up.

Comment

Yes would somebody who has a Syncrowave 200 please show what perfect beads look like.And explain all the settings ,torch you used everything so that a rookie like myself has something to emulate.
      Harris welding torch
      Harris Cutting torch propane
      Syncrowave 200
      Mastercraft 4.5 grinder
      20 ton press
      Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Machine
      Miller Digital Elite (Luckys Speed Shop)
      3/4" Welding Table

Comment

Originally posted by fakeblood316 View Post
        To be perfectly honest this wouldn't be fair, as it has too much to do with operator skill and how the machine is set up.
        I totally agree, and had thought of that prior to this thread, but I still just want to see what people are able to do with the machine.

I got to use a syncrowave 200 today for a little while but only on SS. I just want to see some aluminum beads and see if it's able to lay down nice enough ones (given the operator is good enough) for me to buy it.

Comment

You can either weld, you can't, or your somewhere in between. The machine, any machine for that matter, is going to make little difference.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Top Notch,

I have not used a Sync 200 for quite a while. I use a Sync 250 now and have for about the last 20 years.

I "guarantee" the Sync 200 will not be the limiting factor in your ability to lay down an aluminum bead. The weldor will be.

There are tiggers out there that can take a 330A/BP (pre-squarewave) and lay down a bead you'll never achieve.

This really was a rediculous request to begin with. Do you really think that a company like Miller would keep a machine in it's lineup if it wasn't up to the task at hand. Thousands of happy customers can't all be wrong.
            Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
            Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
            Hobart HH187
            Dialarc 250 AC/DC
            Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
            Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
            PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
            Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
            Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
            More grinders than hands

Comment

I don't think it was a rediculuos request, as a matter of fact, I think it was an extremely simple request. Post pics or don't post pics?

I just want to see. Everytime I mention wanting to get the syncrowave 200 to people, all I hear is why not get the dynasty 200dx. If you're gonna be doing a lot of aluminum, you're better off with the dynasty 200dx. Dynasty this and dynasty that. I definitely agree with them as well, but it's still either just gonna be out of my budget, or I can get it and hardly have any money left over. And that's if I am able to sell the couple of things I need to in order to even have the money for the machine.

So I just wanted to see some aluminum welds from a syncrowave 200. Whether you suck or don't suck. I am a quick learner and being able to lay down a bead won't be a problem after I dedicate myself to the practice.

As a matter of fact, the one and only time I used a dynasty 200dx machine, it was on an aluminum butt weld, and I laid down an amazing bead. I just wanted to know if it's just as easy with the syncrowave.

Sorry if it's rediculuos to some people, I'm sure it's not to most.

Comment

TopNotch,

First off, I suggest you leave the attitude at the door if you expect to get help from the experienced users on this board. You'll get replies from others who have just about your level of skill.

Couple of things don't make sense to me. If you had/have access to a Sync 200, why didn't you just try welding a couple of pieces of aluminum? That's the ONLY way to determine if the machine will produce a satisfactory bead for YOU.

I've gone back and read your previous posts and what they say to me is that you haven't done your homework and expect other's to "spoon feed" you the answers you desire. With that type of attitude, you're going to have a hard time becoming proficient at tig welding.

I'd suggest you order or download a copy of Miller's Tig Handbook. It will provide a detailed explanation of the differences between squarewave (Sync) and advanced squarewave (Dynasty). For most users, the biggest difference is in the ability to adjust the AC frequency with the inverter based machines, whereas the transformers are set at 60HZ.

There are literally billions of great aluminum welds which have been made with basic squarewave machines. If you've got the power to run it and do not need the portability the Dynasty series provides, it's hard to go wrong with a Sync 200. If somewhere down the road you decide (that you need) based on your uses, the adjustability an inverter provides, the resale value for a Sync 200 is hard to beat (especially if you picked up a good used one).

Another suggestion I would offer is to download a copy of the owner's manual for both the Dynasty 200 and the Sync 200. Read them and then determine if the differences justfy (to you) the difference in cost.
                Last edited by SundownIII; 01-04-2009, 12:01 PM. Reason: addition
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Lol, I don't know where you got me coming off with an attitude, but you are completely wrong. Sorry if I upset you. No harm no foul. But please quit treating me and others like kids. This is a forum where people log on and ask questions, WETHER or NOT they have done their research. They expect to get help or at least pointed in the right direction. Not to be told they haven't done proper research, don't know what they are talking about, that they have an attitude, they won't find the answers they are looking for, etc. That is how you learn. You ask questions. Spoon fed or not depends on the person answering. Sorry I asked a simple question on a forum. Guess I had the wrong idea about forums though.

Anyways, the friend whose machine I used, did not currently have any aluminum scraps that I could use. Otherwise I would have tried no doubt. It was a rather unfortunate coincidence, but one that I had to live with. I will try and get back with him with some aluminum scraps of my own next time I go, but for now I was just curious if anyone had any pics of some aluminum they have welded.

All I asked is for pictures if there are any. If you don't like how I asked, or think I had an attitude, then please do not look at my thread. It's not that hard. I will however take your advice and download those manuals and read up on them. However that will not show me any pictures of aluminum welds with a syncrowave 200, which is all that this thread is about.

I have actually spent a great deal of time debating on the two. (syncrowave 200 and dynasty 200), so I am not trying to get "spoon fed" anything.

P.S. Sorry if I have offended anyone in any shape, form, or fashion
                  Last edited by TopNotch; 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Show him some pics and quit needling.
                    MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Comment

How many freaking people have to tell you guys.

A DANG PICTURE TELLS YOU NOTHING.

PS: My reply to this thread was not just about this tread in particular, but rather about the numerous other threads the same OP has posted on the subject of Sync vs Dynasty.
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                        How many freaking people have to tell you guys.

A DANG PICTURE TELLS YOU NOTHING.

PS: My reply to this thread was not just about this tread in particular, but rather about the numerous other threads the same OP has posted on the subject of Sync vs Dynasty.

A little cranky or is this a good day?
                        MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Comment

Originally posted by TopNotch View Post
                          I was just wondering if anybody on here would be able to post some pics for me of some beads they have laid on aluminum using a syncrowave 200 machine. I am still debating on what welder I am going to purchase. I would like to see some pics of how well it can weld on aluminum. I have tried searching, but have had no luck. If there is another thread already covering this topic then I apologize and would appreciate it if you could point me to it. Thanks!
                          TopNotch.........I have a Miller Syncro 200 Tig. I do not have a lot of experience with tig as I am learning also. I started a thread on 3-18-2008 on some welds on aluminum I had done with this machine called "Aluminum welds in question". If you click on my name and search on threads I have started, you may get some of the info you're looking for. I hopes this helps some. The machine is great...much better than I am. If I can be of more help....just ask. I apologize for your reception so far but there are a lot of very talented
                          friendly people on this forum.................Nick
                          Nick
                          Miller 252 Mig
                          Miller Cricket XL
                          Millermatic 150 Mig
                          Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                          2-O/A outfits
                          Jet Lathe and Mill
                          Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                          DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                          Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                          20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                          Propane Forge
                          60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                          Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                          and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                            TopNotch.........I have a Miller Syncro 200 Tig. I do not have a lot of experience with tig as I am learning also. I started a thread on 3-18-2008 on some welds on aluminum I had done with this machine called "Aluminum welds in question". If you click on my name and search on threads I have started, you may get some of the info you're looking for. I hopes this helps some. The machine is great...much better than I am. If I can be of more help....just ask. I apologize for your reception so far but there are a lot of very talented
                            friendly people on this forum.................Nick
                            Thank you VERY much Nick. I will definitely check out your thread. Like I said earlier, it was never about seeing a perfect aluminum weld with this machine, it was just about seeing ANY pictures of aluminum welds with this machine.

This is a VERY big purchase for me, and I just want to make sure I am getting the right machine. If what I want can be done with a machine that cost $1000+ less, then I will settle for that machine. I know the dynasty is awesome with aluminum, so I just wanted to see how the syncrowave did with it.

Pictures say a lot for me actually. That's how I learn most everything.

P.S. Johnny, I got your pm, it is quite a shame sometimes

Comment

Post Pictures !!

TopNotch, Hi; I see nothing wrong with your Request!
                              As far as Sundown goes He's Just an Angry OLD man !!

Ignore Him !!!

.... Norm :
                              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X