Aead-200le

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aead-200le

so dads retiring the old service truck, and we yanked the welder out. he bought it brand new in 78' i believe. still runs, sorta lol. needs some love in the starter motor department. anyways i have a MM180 240v 21A is what miller specs. it at for power draw. i know my dads AEAD can produce 5kv and the faceplate says 21A @240v.

so the numbers say it can run my MM180 at full bore but in real world will it run it. kinda running both machines close to there maximum outputs. will my MM180's circuit boards be ok or is the AC from the AEAD too dirty to run the thing.

moreless a question to see if it could do it. something that would be nice to know if i ever wanted to run my MM180 away from the home shop.

ive been searching all the AEAD 200LE hits on Google and know quite a few people like the good ole miller. so im looking forward to restoring it to an extent. paint etc. also from my reading im very lucky. dad kept it tarped when not in use so the faceplate on it is very legible. maybe should take a good high resolution picture of the faceplate for future reference.

hopefuly i made sence. thanks guys.
    Last edited by joey2589; 01-02-2009, 01:56 AM.
    78' Miller AEAD-200LE
    08' Miller Matic 180 Autoset.

Mm180

Have you tried it out yet??
    ................ Norm :
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

no i haven't. i need to yank the starter motor off and see what its issues is. most likely brushes. i also got to wire a receptical to the machine to plug the 180 in.

so might be a while, figured id ask on here and get some ideas.
      78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Comment

question is the starter motor on this onan rebuildable or is it just all in all easyer to buy a new/reman one? if available. its a ccka onan
        78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Comment

Aead 200 le

I have a 1978 AEAD 200LE without an engine. The machine looks great and the guy said he pulled the motor off because it had thrown a rod and never got around to replacing it after he found an almost new bobcat. Unfortunately he junked the engine. He said it worked great, and just by looking at it I can tell it was at least protected from the weather. Can someone out there tell me who made the engine and what the model number is for the engine that fits this machine.

Of course if someone has an old engine for sale let me know that too by email. Would certainly appreciate it.

Comment

Aead 200 le

Think I figured out the engine. Onan P216 or P218. I would appreciate it if someone could verify which.

Comment

for what little help i can offer. my 78 aead came stock with a onan ccka engine. its a 2 cylinder engine. i am unsure of the HP.
              78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Comment

An AEAD-200LE was a B48M Onan with electric start
                An AEAD-200L was a CCKA engine with manual (rope) starter

Anything else?

18 hp
                Last edited by cruizer; 01-04-2009, 01:46 PM.

Comment

any input on the question i asked in post #1? other than i should just get the machine running and try it.
                  78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Comment

Aead-200le

The AEAD200LE used the CCKA Onan engine for the most part and these are still around. The Performer series came out later. The B48M was used a very short time and was replaced with the Performer P218. The CCKA was listed as a 16 hp engine, I believe. I don't think you would have any problem running the Millermatic, but you would have to run the AEAD at half speed, 1800 rpm, to get the max 5kw ac power out of machine. You can get much more power out by using arc voltage feeder and using 3000 rpm dc welding output. weldersales

Comment

weldersales, thank you for your info.

yes i am aware of running the machine at half throttle for max ac power. would be nice to buy a feeder to run on the machine but a starter motor is going to cost a nice penny lol. and for as often ill mig out in the field wouldn't be cost effective. i dont do welding for my main income, just another fine blue machine to spend countless hours tinkering with.
                      78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Comment

Aead-200le

You should be able to get a good used starter for about 75.00 or so or, if you're lucky, might just need a solenoid. weldersales

Comment

Originally posted by weldersales View Post
                          You should be able to get a good used starter for about 75.00 or so or, if you're lucky, might just need a solenoid. weldersales
                          i had it apart today and the commutator is messed up. ive found a source online that sells them to my knowledge new for a touch under 100 dollars but hey it will get that good ole onan screaming away again.
                          78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Comment

Miller AEAD200LE

I just read this thread and am kind of experiencing the exact thing. I got a 1980 AEAD200LE from my 90 year old father and have spent the last week working on it. It has not been started for 5 years and after a little clean up, filing points, and new plugs- it fired right up. All voltages appear to be correct, but I have not struck an arc yet. The three brushed on the collector are sparking somewhat so I just ordrered a new set today. As far as I know they have never been changed and other than this the welder appears to be in good shape. All my research shows the engine is actually an 18 HP onan that has been discontinued, but this one appears to be solid and I would guess less than 500 hours. So I will cross that hurdle when and if I get there, but was told any good 20 HP engine will work as a replacement with a 1 inch shaft. Interesting to read about others that have "inherited one of these older machines"

Terry

Comment

old welder info

Take pics I have aead 200le 1978/79 I need pic of front mine is 1/2 gone .can you post 1 and or send me 1 ..Email .. [email protected] hoo.con thanks and good luck with yours

Comment

Working...
                              X