Chop Saw Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop Saw Recommendations

I've been looking around at chop saws recently, preferably a 14". Looking for a nice well built one for the home shop. I don't need or want an industrial strength mega $$$ unit, but I don't want to buy a cheap one that won't last, just something for occasional use out in the garage for cutting steel tubing. The Northern Tools web site has several from Milwaukee and DeWalt which are name brand units, what do you guys recommend?

Mike

myself and a few others i know have makita and they have been good never had any problems... also used makita and never had problems with them either... mine is a cheaper makita mtk2414db its a lower end makita but like i said ive never had any problems and i believe i paid around 227 after taxes...

Comment

I used a Milwaukee for several years - worked fine on everything I threw at it; bar, angle iron, square tube, even some cast iron. Got tired of all the grit and the inaccurate 45 degree cuts, bought a 4" x 6" horizontal band saw, and haven't used the chop saw since.

Comment

i have used a DeWalt for a few years now, love it, and it works great.

Aaron Engstfeld
        Engstfeld Welding

Comment

I got a milwalkee 14" ind it beats my buddies dewalt, but I don't know which model. He is always borrowing mine. His dewalt has no guts. So he says.
          G

Comment

Some options

I agree about the bandsaw option - not much more expensive than the chopsaw, but more versatile, I believe. That being said, check pawnshops if your town has any. Looks can be deceiving, so ask to plug it in & hear it run. Next option locate a beater wood chop saw. Put a metal dutting disk on it & go to town. I have one that I have used quite a bit (before the bandsaw). A wood saw has a much better angle adjustment, but is overall less rigid or sturdy. Pawnshops or Craigslist is a good source for them, also.

Jerry in Anchorage

Comment

I bought a dry chop saw - uses a metal blade and spins a fair bit slower. There are no spark and it cuts through material in about 1 second like butter. Here's a link to the one I bought.

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=437962

Comment

I have had a Makita 14" for many years. I use it more than my 4x6 band saw.
                AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
                3035 spoolgun
                Spectrum 625
                Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

I have the Dewalt and yes it works fine, but the Makita and Milwaukee chop saws have a better quality fence system. The Dewalt is just a stamped base, wherease the Makita and Milwaukee have a nicer cast base.
                  miller dynasty 350
                  miller spectrum 1000

Comment

After so many out of square cuts from the abrasive blade style chopsaw, I bought the DeWalt with a metal blade. Slower rpm but very few sparks,no steel dust, no burr's, cool to touch after the cut, blade never diminish's in size, AND a square cut every time. Blades are pricey, but still worth it in time not spent waiting for the abrasive blade to cut or having to clean up burrs and squaring up cuts.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the recommendations.

Cornerstone, what type of metal cutting blade did you get with your DeWalt, where can I find one?

Mike

Comment

Mike Here's some info on the saw and blade. The chopsaw is a DW872 14" multicutter. The blade is a DW7747 14" dry cut blade w/ titanium carbide tips. I bought it from a DeWalt outlet here in Edmonton but I'm sure any LWS will carry or order this saw. I'll tell you another thing, whenever I pull this saw out, it sure gets a lot of attention and a lot of, " I gotta get one of those". All the best and Happy New Year! Bob.

Comment

Bob, thanks for the info, especially the model numbers. Hope '09 will be your best year ever.

Mike

Comment

I've had a Makita 14" abrasive chop saw for years and you can't PAY that thing to cut square. I only ever use it where super squareness isn't an issue.

for right now, if it's got to be square, I use my evolution circular saw and a quick square as a guide. it also works well for high angled cuts.

I still want a band saw though
                            Bobcat 225NT
                            Cutmaster 52
                            Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                            Caterpillar TH63
                            '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I just got the evolution 10" sliding compound miter saw for christmas, it is awesome!!! Great for fast, clean accurate angles in fairly thick material. I have a horizontal bandsaw, but for angles this thing is great! I just need a new blade, because I must have used this thing for 5 days straight cutting railing materials....
                              Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
                              2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X