X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WyoRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
    Not sure if it would work on a welder but I use a variable frequency drive [vfd] to run my three phase vertical milling machine on single phase power . Vfd's work very well for my application with the mill as the don't have any of the negatives of a phase converter .
    I don't know if a VFD would care for the spikes every time you strike an arc...

Leave a comment:

• Showdog75
    replied
    Not sure if it would work on a welder but I use a variable frequency drive [vfd] to run my three phase vertical milling machine on single phase power . Vfd's work very well for my application with the mill as the don't have any of the negatives of a phase converter .

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    A couple hundred horsepower phase converter? For the price of the motor, that 30K install bill would be cheap...

Got any pics? I'd love to see the start cap array for that.
    well... it wasn't actually a phase convertor... it was a rotary frequency convertor, custom designed by them with a 3ph 3000rpm motor to give them the 50hz 3ph they needed to test their european product... same basic idea, just wired a little different....

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    A couple hundred horsepower phase converter? For the price of the motor, that 30K install bill would be cheap...

Got any pics? I'd love to see the start cap array for that.

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    the one I was talking about was a couple hundred horsepower..... I've never seen an electric motor over 50HP that I'd call quiet....

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    If your phase converter is making anything other than smooth motor whirring sounds (with the exception of the couple seconds after you add an unbalanced load to it), there's something wrong with the converter's wiring, components (balance caps), or the motor's bearings are probably dry or toast.
    Last edited by Fishy Jim; 12-28-2008, 05:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jcoldon
    replied
    phase converter

we have a 15 hp phase conveter now its not loud it sounds like a motor running

i want the delta for its power and duty rating 400 amp mig
    we only have single phase .no single phase welder does that
    the electric co wants a small fortune for 3 phase around 30 k

i was told a 50 hp roto phase would work

thanks jeff c

Leave a comment:

• bretsk2500
    replied
    I would imagine it would work just fine... I just can't see how you're going to save any money using this delta welder... rotary phase converters aren't cheap... did I mention they're LOUD...

A couple of years ago we put up a building that had a phase converter for their test lab (50HZ for the stuff headed to europe)... The things sound like a siren that NEVER shuts off!

Leave a comment:

• jcoldon
    started a topic 3 phase power

3 phase power

looking to run a delta welder 450 3 phase using
    a roto phase i do not have 3 phase
    does any one know how the welder will work
    i am aware of the size unit needed
Working...
X