Frame Rail welding??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Rail welding??

What would the possibility of successfully cutting and welding a school bus frame rail? 60000-100000 tensile frame metal? wondering if i could do this

to this

Beverage trucks have the frame cut and put back together like that. Every pop and beer truck with the roll up side doors has a deep belly frame "stepped" to lower the center of the body. The difference is that the beer truck body is separate from the cab, unlike your bus body. You can see the problems any flex would create.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Comment

Heat treated

Make sure the frame rail is not heat treated, if it is you should find a do not weld stamp on the rail,cut rails at a 45.weld with 7018 and through bolt rail insert. Insert about three feet long if possible. this method worked for lengthening,doing a drop down presents other problems, one thing you'll want to through bolt any gussets to the rails. Best to check with D.O.T. for current regulations, ya don't want to be red tagged for something like that .

Comment

Heat treated

Make sure the frame rail is not heat treated, if it is you should find a do not weld stamp on the rail,cut rails at a 45.weld with 7018 and through bolt rail insert. Insert about three feet long if possible. this method worked for lengthening,doing a drop down presents other problems, one thing you'll want to through bolt any gussets to the rails. Best to check with D.O.T. for current regulations, ya don't want to be red tagged for something like that .

Comment

Well, DOT says no way never!

The trick is to weld and grind it so it doesn't show. What they don't see won't hurt you. I've streched several dump truck as above except I always use 11018 on frame rail.

Comment

Truck-Bus Rail Welding ??

Originally posted by benA View Post
            Well, DOT says no way never!

The trick is to weld and grind it so it doesn't show. What they don't see won't hurt you. I've streched several dump truck as above except I always use 11018 on frame rail.
            benA; I've never used that rod E11018, hows it run , similar to E7018??
            ........... Norm :
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not benA, but I'll answer anyway...

Hello Norm,

Yes, 11018 runs pretty much the exact same as 7018. They are both (obviously) XX18 series rods, so characteristics are very similiar.

I use 7018, 8018, and 10018 and do not see a measurable difference.
              Later,
              Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

E10018

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                Hello Norm,

Yes, 11018 runs pretty much the exact same as 7018. They are both (obviously) XX18 series rods, so characteristics are very similiar.

I use 7018, 8018, and 10018 and do not see a measurable difference.
                Jason,Hi; Thanks Man !! What do you run those rods on ??

Comment

higher alloy steels are what they're used on. Some engineers require the use of higher tensile strength rods when welding 60ksi rebar as well.
                  Bobcat 225NT
                  Cutmaster 52
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                  Caterpillar TH63
                  '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Hey Norm,

I use 8018 on portable truck crane picker boom repairs etc.

The 10018 is for transport truck and trailer QT 100 frames or for repairing loader forks.

Disclaimer - NO, I do not repair the fork "tines" themselves, but I do repair the brackets that hold them on the attachment itself.
                    Later,
                    Jason

Comment

Norm,

I find the 11018 a little easier to work with than 7018. I normally use the 110s on anything I don't use 6011 on. Stuff I would weld with 7018 I just use the mig. Yes I know that the weld is only as strong as the base metal, but I can make them a whole lot weaker.

Ben

Comment

E8018 or 10018 ?

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                        Hey Norm,

I use 8018 on portable truck crane picker boom repairs etc.

The 10018 is for transport truck and trailer QT 100 frames or for repairing loader forks.

Disclaimer - NO, I do not repair the fork "tines" themselves, but I do repair the brackets that hold them on the attachment itself.
                        Jason
                        How is the Price in comparison E8018& E10018 with E7018??

BenA

Hi; Same Question, you're in the States correct ??

.......... Norm :

Comment

Morning Norm,

It's been a while since I have purchased any new electrodes above the 7018's, so my memory (or the changing market) may have me off by a little bit.

I order Esab OK 55.00 E-7018 rods weekly, and a sleeve (10lbs +/-) is around $23.00

The other electrodes are more "specialty" rods so the prices go up...

Last sleeve of Air Liquide BlueShield 8018-C2 I purchased were $35.00

Last sleeve of Lincoln 11018 I think were between $35 and $40 - I really don't remember.

I carry basic E6010 and E7018 on my truck - 3/32" to 3/16" in both.

The "specialty" rods above I use working for other companies, so I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the price, I just order it and "Git 'er DONE"
                          Later,
                          Jason

Comment

Norm,

The supplier I used to buy from all the rods were about the same price from 7018 up if you were buying in less than 50 lb. cans. But I could walk in and get as many pounds as I wanted in a nice zip loc bag. Yes I am in the States, used to live within sight of the border. Drove semi for a while, I think I spent more time in Canada running out to Sarnia than I spent in the US for a while. Since then I moved halfway cross the country, found me a job with somewhat regular hours. I don,t even know where to buy supplies yet, but now the boss buys most of them.

Ben

Comment

E10018

Thanks , benA & Jason; I might get some E8018 or E10018 to try them out !!

I don't run a lot of SMAW these days, mostly GMAW
                              but I'd like to try some to see how they run ??
                              Thanks Again for the Info !! .... Norm :
                              Last edited by nfinch86; 12-29-2008, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X