200dx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200dx

I am having hi freq starting problems. I'm trying to tack weld an alum gas tank together and i can get 6-8 tacks before it stops working. I have one of the earlier models, however the board has been replaced. Has anyone actually solved this problem? I'm getting really tired of this. The machine works great otherwise. is this a problem with the 300's also or are they not affected? if not what's the difference?

Todd

Since you are taking, are you using the spot timer, are trying to quickly ramp this thing up and down on presets and since you are not getting an error, this is a process problem.

If you were to use the spot timer, which I don't think you are, you wouln't be having this problem

Comment

I need to rephrase the statement. the hi freq is working but an arc won't start. I can sit there and just hold the hi freq on with the hi freq arc jumping but no welding arc. No timers. I don't think mine has a spot timer. no preset just pedal action.

Todd

Comment

Perhaps the conduit has pulled out of one or the other side of your torch, HF will jump across though will be weak but no arcy arcy....

Comment

If i regrind the tung. it works fine, starts instantly welds beautiful but after a few starts and stops it doesn't like to start again.

Todd

Comment

What tungsten are you using? How are you shaping it? How are you grounding the part, Is the part sitting on a steel table and the ground clamp on the table?
            Last edited by FATFAB; 12-20-2008, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Zirconium tung. grounded directly on the part. When i weld this thin of alum., .050 i grind to a double point so it ***** up small. Been tig welding for 28 years. if i use my 300 syncro this doesn't happen. I can weld all day without regrinding the tung. as long as i don't contaminate it. it's something in the machine i can hear it fighting in there.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by tsutt View Post
                Zirconium tung. grounded directly on the part. When i weld this thin of alum., .050 i grind to a double point so it ***** up small. Been tig welding for 28 years. if i use my 300 syncro this doesn't happen. I can weld all day without regrinding the tung. as long as i don't contaminate it. it's something in the machine i can hear it fighting in there.

Todd
                The zirc tungsten could very well be your problem. That tungsten is meant for transformer style machines and tends to ball up rather quickly. That's not a good thing with an inverter like the 200DX. It is most likely causing your start-up issues. You need to use either lanthanated or ceriated and see if you don't have different results.
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I 'll try the ceriated, i have plenty. I just alway sliked the zirc with the 300 syncro.

Thanks
                  Todd

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                    The zirc tungsten could very well be your problem. That tungsten is meant for transformer style machines and tends to ball up rather quickly. That's not a good thing with an inverter like the 200DX. It is most likely causing your start-up issues. You need to use either lanthanated or ceriated and see if you don't have different results.
                    Kevin, you got that one 100%, to add I believe the zirk is frosting and creating enough resistance.

The older owners manual was less than clear on what tungsten to use. Been a lotta talk over the years on this.
                    KB, you got newer machine, did the manuel get any better?

Comment

Originally posted by LA Weld View Post
                      Kevin, you got that one 100%, to add I believe the zirk is frosting and creating enough resistance.

The older owners manual was less than clear on what tungsten to use. Been a lotta talk over the years on this.
                      KB, you got newer machine, did the manuel get any better?
                      Laurence, I must confess, I haven't looked at the manual except to find out how to change the settings on the new features, tungsten size and wave shapes. I will say this, the new arc start board with the pre-set tunsten parameters works flawlessly. I will have a little review with a job I am doing worked up for sometime next week.
                      Dynasty 350DX
                      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                      MM 350P
                      MM Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 375 Extreme
                      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Very little differences

The manuals are pretty much the same except for an almost obscure section on the new features...I was worried about mixing them up before I got my first machine sold.

KB...oh boy a review...I'll be watching for it.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by tsutt View Post
                          I am having hi freq starting problems. I'm trying to tack weld an alum gas tank together and i can get 6-8 tacks before it stops working. I have one of the earlier models, however the board has been replaced. Has anyone actually solved this problem? I'm getting really tired of this. The machine works great otherwise. is this a problem with the 300's also or are they not affected? if not what's the difference?

Todd
                          you figure out the problem? was it the tungsten?
                          bert
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

I haven't had a chance to get back on and try a different tung. I'll try it tonight.

Todd

Comment

KB&FATFAB, Tungsten IS the ticket. Worked like a champ, flawless.

Thanks
                              Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X