Welding brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding brass

I was pulling apart a sweep blade on a garbage truck today, and noticed that the carriage supports has brass wear shoes welded to the steel frame. I've seen a lot (I thought), but I've never seen this. A mechanic told me that they have some machine over at Tyson that uses brass wear shoes welded to a steel frame. He said you can do it with the right wire. Has anyone done this? I'm not looking for guesses or conjecture.

The only 'fusion' method that I know of for that is to use silver solder, but I'd be interested to hear if there are other ways or what else is out there.

Have a good one.
    hre

Comment

I"ve welded both brass and steel with Silicone Bronze tig wire, so i would imagine you could bon the two together with it. It would really depend on what type of brass, hopefully it's something low on zinc or you're gonna hate doing it :/
      Dynasty 200DX
      Hobart Handler 135
      Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
      Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
      Hypertherm Powermax 45
      Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

In the refrigeration field we use Stay-Silv pure silver solder w/ flux...flux is a must.

Comment

Yup i have done some with these rods...Bob
          http://www.crownalloys.com/page32.pdf
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyNut View Post
            In the refrigeration field we use Stay-Silv pure silver solder w/ flux...flux is a must.
            Check again, it's 45%.
            I mean, usually.
            Last edited by spotsineyes; 12-15-2008, 10:51 PM. Reason: I mean, usually.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
              Yup i have done some with these rods...Bob
              http://www.crownalloys.com/page32.pdf
              aametalmaster,

I have done it with an .035" phosphor bronze GMAW wire polished up and used as a GTAW filler rod. By the way: I think Crown Alloys has the best specialty GTAW rods and SMAW electrodes on the market. In addition to providing excellent quality rod they are reasonably priced (in perspective of you get what you pay for) , have an excellent selection, and unbelievably great service. What more can you ask for?

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK View Post
                aametalmaster,

I have done it with an .035" phosphor bronze GMAW wire polished up and used as a GTAW filler rod. By the way: I think Crown Alloys has the best specialty GTAW rods and SMAW electrodes on the market. In addition to providing excellent quality rod they are reasonably priced (in perspective of you get what you pay for) , have an excellent selection, and unbelievably great service. What more can you ask for?
                Plus i have a dealer 5 blocks from my house that stocks a lot of Crown Alloys products. When i was a Millwright in the big factory the dealer was across the street and the picker upper guy from work would run and get anything i wanted so i got to try out lots of different rods on work projects of course...Bob
                Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by crzdriver View Post
                  I was pulling apart a sweep blade on a garbage truck today, and noticed that the carriage supports has brass wear shoes welded to the steel frame. I've seen a lot (I thought), but I've never seen this. A mechanic told me that they have some machine over at Tyson that uses brass wear shoes welded to a steel frame. He said you can do it with the right wire. Has anyone done this? I'm not looking for guesses or conjecture.
                  Ditto what Turboglenn said. I cannot say it is the "best" or only way but I also have successfully used silicon bronze on brass to steel.

Griff

Comment

I'll post some pics of this thing when I get a chance. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                    X