Can I bend it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I bend it

Can I heat up 6” natural gas pipe (it hasn’t been tied to service yet) and tweak it about two degrees in a 2D direction. I set my pipe exactly as specified and the site manager agrees. However, they did not set their machine as specified and want me to adjust my pipe to their mistake for free. I am not obligated to perform any more service for them as my contract, as stated is complete. Therefore I will make the adjustment anyway at my cost in order preserve my reputation as “an honest kind of guy”. So I need advice as to how I can make this adjustment, or more simply put, can I bend it.
    TB 302
    Sync 250 DX
    MM 180 Auto
    Lincoln tombstone
    DVI-2
    Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

I would look at using a BFH first. Or some other form of non heat bending first.

We are talking about a low pressure line? If it is high pressure I would not use heat, ever.

Comment

I'd strap a hydraulic pipe bender to it and tweak it to the exact requirement.

The **** benders cost a fortune, but you may be able to rent one.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Originally posted by metalpuddler View Post
        Can I heat up 6” natural gas pipe (it hasn’t been tied to service yet) and tweak it about two degrees in a 2D direction. I set my pipe exactly as specified and the site manager agrees. However, they did not set their machine as specified and want me to adjust my pipe to their mistake for free. I am not obligated to perform any more service for them as my contract, as stated is complete. Therefore I will make the adjustment anyway at my cost in order preserve my reputation as “an honest kind of guy”. So I need advice as to how I can make this adjustment, or more simply put, can I bend it.
        Not knowing the exact application, I would not heat to bend the pipe. This day and age of legal liability if this procedure was not included in thier specifications, I would not do it.

Out of curiosity, is this to be a pipe to pipe weld or is this a flanged connection?.

Not defending the practice, but I have seen too many flanged connections that needed "come-a-longs" to pull them together. Amazingly, some of these have been in service for many years with no apparent problems from the strain.

Griff

Comment

However, they did not set their machine as specified and want me to adjust my pipe to their mistake for free. I am not obligated to perform any more service for them as my contract, as stated is complete. Therefore I will make the adjustment anyway at my cost in order preserve my reputation as “an honest kind of guy”.
          I would not do it, as soon as you modify his work you now own the problem from that point on. All liability will fall on your shoulders. Have the original guy fix the mistake at his cost and liability. Then do your contracted work.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Hank, great idea, unfortunately no one around here has ever heard of such a thing.

Griff, the application is for a natural gas compressor for a CNG fueling station (150 psi). The pipe is already made up with flanges on each end and buried in the ground under a 14” slab. When they put the compressor in place it was backwards from what was specified. I then had to cut and rotate the riser and add several elbows and spool pieces to make up the difference. When all of the gas valves, check valves, flanged reducers and flex coupler were installed it was off a bit, and yes we used come-a-longs and port -a-power to put it together. The flex joint is kinked a bit and they want it perfectly straight.

Bialecki, the site manager is the one who messed up and set the compressor wrong and we have already made too many modifications to have a crane come out and move it, besides the electricians have already done their work as well as the plumbing to the pumps.

They don’t make a BFH big enough for this job.

I have a few days to figure this out, I don’t want to go back and cut this thing apart and weld it back. The area where I want to heat is about ten feet away from where the flange attaches to the flex joint. I need to move it down and out about one inch at that connection. Any other ideas………anyone?
            TB 302
            Sync 250 DX
            MM 180 Auto
            Lincoln tombstone
            DVI-2

Comment

If you can get the person to put into writing that you aren't liable and you can get a procedure on heating the pipe I'd spot heat it with a rose bud . We do it all the time BUT most of our stuff gets stress relieved after assembly . 150 psi is nothing and if there is someone on site that has the knowledge and authority this should be a simple fix . Btw we build stuff that gets hydro'd over 8000 psi that doesn't get stress relieved and we can spot or ring heat most anything .
              Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
              Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
              Rockwell vertical mill
              Beverly Shear B-3
              Beverly Shear JR
              Home-made English wheel
              Milwaukee Porta-band
              " Sawz-all
              Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
              Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
              Powcon 300st

Comment

They want you to fix their mistake for free and you want to remain being seen as "an honest kind of guy". Sounds like the honest guy is going to have to pay one way or other to keep the not so honest/intelligent guy(s) happy. You did your work to spec. If they can't follow their own spec sheets its time to start negotiations for more money. Being the "honest guy" and being the "chump" don't have to be inclusive, but you are leaning toward that marriage of inconvenience. Charge them for the mistake...that's being honest. Give them a price break if it makes you feel better, but fixing another man's screw-up for free will probably not even get you a thank you otherwise.
                Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                Miller DialArc 250
                Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                Logan 7" shaper
                Ellis 3000 band saw
                Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                Lots of dust bunnies
                Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                  ive them a price break if it makes you feel better, but fixing another man's screw-up for free will probably not even get you a thank you otherwise.
                  No, there definitely will not be a thank you after.... more likely there will be *****ing about something or other, even if you did the rework for NOTHING.
                  Bobcat 225NT
                  Cutmaster 52
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                  Caterpillar TH63
                  '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
                    I would look at using a BFH first. Or some other form of non heat bending first.

We are talking about a low pressure line? If it is high pressure I would not use heat, ever.

There are bout a billion hot bends toiling away in high pressure piping systems all across the land.

JTMcC.
                    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

I did it the right way and as stated..........no thanks for anything. Dont pay any attention to the date, I was low on batteries and had to take pics fast.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by metalpuddler; 12-21-2008, 10:32 AM.
                      TB 302
                      Sync 250 DX
                      MM 180 Auto
                      Lincoln tombstone
                      DVI-2

Comment

I am not obligated to perform any more service for them as my contract, as stated is complete. Therefore I will make the adjustment anyway at my cost in order preserve my reputation as “an honest kind of guy”.

This is just my take, based on my experience in business so take it or don't, I intend this to be helpfull, if not to you then maybe to someone else.

Doing work outside of your contract, free to the contractor doesn't give you a reputation as "an honest kind of guy". Doing the work, to the specs, for the agreed price and in the agreed time frame are what give you that reputation.
                        Extras are just that, extra. If I did every extra that contractors come up with for free, my kids would be going hungry and shivering in the cold. Literally.

JTMcC.

Comment

"Extras"

John: Very well written. Speaking of cold, how much snow you guys get? It's stacked up over 12' high in Flagstaff, all over town.

Dave
                          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

For 1" down and out I'd have used pipe jacks and a spud wrench and forced it together and bolted it. Done it many times when the customer didn't set their stuff right. After taking some of them apart for maintenance several years later I was surprised at how little spring back there was. It seems over time things settle into being where you put them. Of course I have also taken apart things that were set perfectly and had them spring apart and need to be cut and fixed. Go figure.

Comment

About 3".

JTMcC.

Comment

Working...
                              X