Diversion 165.......Shocking Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion 165.......Shocking Experience

It doesn't say in the manual, but when I shut off the pwer switch to my new Division 165, the fan kicks on and runs for about 3-5 seconds, even with the switch off.

Yesterday I was welding aluminum, ground clamp on the material.....material on a set of plastic saw horses.

I turned the power off and within a second, grabbed the tungsten to resharpen and got myself a nice jolt. Even with the power switch off! Seems the machine is still "hot" even a second or two after the switch is turned off?

If John from Miller is on here....Please advise?
    RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

Mine does the same thing with the fan. When I first turn it on, and again when I turn it off, even though the fan has not been running for a couple minutes.

I don't know about getting shocked by the tungsten. Have not had that happen yet. Fan has always been off when I touched the tungsten (gloves on) and no shock.

GS

Comment

Unplug the unit!

I am guessing the same thing that happened to me with a portlable electric tool, not my welder.

I got a tingling from the drill (turned off while I changed the bit).

It went away when I unplugged the unit.

Perhaps your ground (green wire) was not really at ground?

Another cause may be capacitors. Back when I was a kid in grade school, I ran my own TV repair shop. I remember getting shocks if I forgot to discharge the capacitors.

Just for grins, unplug the unit and then touch the torch electrode tip to the work piece and hold it there for about 5 to 10 seconds. You should be okay at that point.

Cleara

Comment

Exactley

Capacitors....any inverter..... mig, tig even my Maxstar will do it. Drain the capacitor as above unless ya need to wake up quick :-)

Comment

Working...
        X