Hand eye coordination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand eye coordination

I weld ocassionally on my job,I would say I am average to below average.Just to throw this out there. Are the good welders better at golf and hitting a baseball than the average joe. Does this translate to better hand/eye,IE;better welds ?

nfinch86-Canadian Weldor :

Originally posted by dieselman View Post
    I weld ocassionally on my job,I would say I am average to below average.Just to throw this out there. Are the good welders better at golf and hitting a baseball than the average joe. Does this translate to better hand/eye,IE;better welds ?
    dieselman, Hi; Thats an interesting concept, I never thought of that before??

AS It turns out, when I was younger ( much younger ) I was an elite athlete as a football player! I think growing up I played most sports,
    Hockey, football, baseball, and I ran track,as well I was a high jumper !!
    Could be something to it, Idon't know ?? ..... Norm :
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

"Dexterity"

There's a definite correlation between hand-eye coordination, and physical dexterity in welding as there is in certain sports. I played ice hockey as a youngster growing up in suburban St. Louis (I was always too light for football), and as in golf, and baseball, it's not so much brute strength, as it is managing your timing. (We thought we had a good team until Medicine Hat, AB cleaned our clocks in a Tournament over Xmas '69, but that's another story). Being agile, flexible, with good balance, are all great attributes in welding. TIG welding, for instance, takes focus, as you manage the timing of the remote pedal, adding filler metal, and following "the puddle." It takes stamina to fabricate cooling tower risers, fit cross-country pipe, and weld out-of-position hour after hour, day after day. Without argument, there are "conditioning" similarities, but like a great athlete, some welders are "gifted."

Dave
      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

In my time I have trained many welders and once a person gets over the initial shock of the sparks, light , heat and so on I have found the women in general find a smoothness sooner than the men and the people who had had experience in other hand eye activities in youth fared much better over all.

Like all hand eye activities practice makes perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
          ... I have found the women in general find a smoothness sooner than the men ...
          I used to do a lot of firearms training - NRA Personal Protect program and others. Women usually did better in the classes because:

1. Better hand/eye coordination.
          2. No macho BS to get rid of before they could listen to the instructor.

A lot of young women take these classes, but often insist that hubby take it too so that the wife will feel safer in the "man's world" of the shooting range. The ladies listen and try hard to learn. The guys think they already know it all and won't listen until the wife beats their socks off. Some guys get really angry about it. Too bad...

GS

Comment

Originally posted by GilaSlim View Post
            I used to do a lot of firearms training - NRA Personal Protect program and others. Women usually did better in the classes because:

1. Better hand/eye coordination.
            2. No macho BS to get rid of before they could listen to the instructor.

A lot of young women take these classes, but often insist that hubby take it too so that the wife will feel safer in the "man's world" of the shooting range. The ladies listen and try hard to learn. The guys think they already know it all and won't listen until the wife beats their socks off. Some guys get really angry about it. Too bad...

GS
            Same thing with riding motorcycles women are easier to teach.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bigs View Post
              Same thing with riding motorcycles women are easier to teach.
              I find women easier to ride
              Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                I find women easier to ride
                And, much more fun.
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Well I pretty much suck at all ba-ll sports, I am much better than average on a mountainbike though.

I've found with the people I've worked with, that those who are more intuitive and good at understanding why something works, learn faster and become better welders.

Just what I've seen.
                  Owner of Burnt Beard Fabrication & Welding Ltd.

BigBlue 500D
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 211
                  4' Box and Pan Break
                  IR compressor

Comment

Artists

My brother welded in the Navy for 20 some years and he said that actually people with strong artistic ability made some of the best welders. If you think about the fine motor control and making your hands do what your mind sees. Makes sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X