X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of bent steel (Cert Test)

ok here they are for all to view,
    Attached Files

The good ones look good. It's good they let you redo that one.

EDIT: props for showing the bust
    hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
      The good ones look good. It's good they let you redo that one.

this company does a double or nothing if you fail it the first time

you have to do two of the same weldments and it just had to be Vertical down
      which isn't welding its caulking, i got some porosity in the first one, welded the other two ground them smooth gouged the back grinded it smooth welded them ground some more marked cut PRAYED AND PRAYED AND PRAYED some more then bent them and clean as a whistle then the Weld Tech said ill be ****ed you are a Weldor lol

but hey if we can't show and even acknowledge our mistakes we can't learn from them and neither can others

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
        x2.

Originally posted by mooseman63825 View Post
        then the Weld Tech said ill be ****ed you are a Weldor lol

but hey if we can't show and even acknowledge our mistakes we can't learn from them and neither can others
        Thanks from me too. What's the difference between a 'defect' and a 'discontinuity'?

Craig
        RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
        sigpic

Comment

Good deal!!! I agree with the others, many people never mention their failures let alone show the proof.
          First bend test plates I ever did I failed the first try on the flat coupon, I was "looking past it" so to speak. I never failed one when I was practicing so come test time I was probably thinking about what not to do on the other tests instead of paying attention!!!
          at home:
          2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
          2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
          2008 Suitcase 12RC
          Spoolmatic 30A
          WC-24
          2009 Dynasty 200DX
          2000 XMT 304
          2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Sold:MM130XP
          Sold:MM 251
          Sold:CST 280

at work:
          Invision 350MP
          Dynasty 350
          Millermatic 350P
          Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

discontinuity and defects

ok this can get a bit touchy depending who you talk to

Discontinuity=Is the appearance of a in the weld of a weldment, However a discontinuity is not necessarily a defect, anything under 1/8inch, Tungsten Inclusion, unburnt Consumable insert (P.S. do not use ur ******* file as a Consumable Insert xray techs will see it lol not my experience but one of my apprentices did it two years ago on a test piece) Have it hanging in my office).

Defect= is exactly as it sounds is a break,Porosity, Inculsion over 1/8inch,
            just to name a few examples.

^on this above if it is under 1/8th of an inch it is a discontinuity, over 1/8th a defect.
            (but it is enough for the X-ray ech to say grind it out and redo it) and your supervisor to chew you out.

Comment

Hey Mooseman:

Where you at, down by Kennett? The Cape? I grew up in St. Louie as a kid, left in '71. The caverns are cool, and the test coupons look good, thanks for all the info. I'm making a bunch of 5" sch 40 coupons from a 6' piece I bought for $40 at the scrap yard Monday. I know it's a little thin, but gotta stay in practice! Gotta go do some cutting and grinding
              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

prep

i prepped my own and i know i gouged a couple of them
                i live between kennett and cape lol i live in malden and im from bloomfield

but what made you say that about prepping my coupons

Comment

A discontinuity is any abnormality in a weld, discontinuities can be acceptable.

A defect is an abnormality or abnormalities that because of it's size, or the number of them, or it's type, are not acceptable. A defect means a rejectable weld.

JTMcC.
                  Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Head
                    Some things are hard to tell after being bent, but you should never grind / sand perpendicular to the length of the coupon
                    i know that but when your using a sand buffing wheel that only moves one direction and it sands the same no matter how you turn it u kinda only have one option lol

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Craig
                      RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                        A discontinuity is any abnormality in a weld, discontinuities can be acceptable.

A defect is an abnormality or abnormalities that because of it's size, or the number of them, or it's type, are not acceptable. A defect means a rejectable weld.

JTMcC.
                        ^ shorter version lol

Comment

certs

man im glad i go done with my cert test now my head is so stopped up i can't breathe

Comment

Sanding

Originally posted by Iron Head
                            Some things are hard to tell after being bent, but you should never grind / sand perpendicular to the length of the coupon!
                            I always grind down the weld perpendicular to the coupon until it's flush with the base metal. Switch to a # 36-grit sanding disc, do the whole coupon making sure to never sand perpendicular, always lengthwise! Then switch to # 80-grit, (or even higher) sanding disc. Then knock all the 90° corners off the coupons just a touch using the # 80-grit disc. Remember always grind / sand lengthwise!

If by any chance you get to bend your own coupons, take some soapstone cover the entire coupon with the soapstone, and the 3-rollers / round stock of the machine.
                            I was taught this by a CWI back when Christ was a corporal.
                            I totally agree with you on your sanding description.I can't believe how many people that try to metal finish their welding coupons or projects with a hard disc.

Comment

grinding

I agree with that method but that was the only way i had to get it done and i did not at all use a hard disc it was a soft sand buffer disc. but they still passed even with out proper grinding so the weldment is solid lol

Comment

Working...
                              X