Diversion 165...A 1st pass review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diversion 165...A 1st pass review

I received my Diversion 165 this afternoon. This welder replaces a Miller Syncrowave 180SD that was just too large for my shop and was more than I needed for my hobby "Tigging".

I bought the Diversion on Ebay from Indiana Oxygen for a bit under $1300. The cart is from Harbor Freight Tools for $50. I built the rod storage out of PVC pipe.

The unit arrives "plug and play". Everything is connected.

The only connection you need to make is the shielding gas. I wasn't to thrilled with the simple barb connections with hose clamps, but I'm sure it will be fine. Miller supplies about 10 feet of hose. I cut just what I needed and connected the shielding gas to the welder

RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

http://www.rvbprecision.com

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Grizzly 4030 Metal Band Saw
    Grizzly 1050 Knife Belt Sander
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

This forum only allows 4 pictures per thread, so here's the continuation.....

The gauges are Smiths and are of reasonable quality.

The torch is a "Weldcraft LS17". It seems to be just the right size for my uses.

It has a thumb wheel control and a start stop push button switch.

RoyB
    Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
    Miller Diversion 165
    Purox W200 O/A
    Grizzly 9957 Mill
    Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
    TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

All of the controls are well labeled and easy to use.

And it all plugs in with a simple 230V plug.

Tomorrow I'll run some welds and report back on performance........
      RoyB
      Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
      Miller Diversion 165
      Purox W200 O/A
      Grizzly 9957 Mill
      Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
      TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

Thanks

This post is exactly what I have been waiting for. A review of the diversion. Thanks>>>
        hh 187.:
        powcon 300 st
        cheap chinese plasma cutter
        miller diversion :

Comment

Cool, thanks for the detailed pics. Mine shows up in a couple days, but I can't open it until Christmas.
          What size tank is that...70-80cu.ft.?
          Can you give me the size of that lower (bottom) compartment on that cart? WxDxH

Comment

17"D X 11"W X 13.75" H

I'm not sure what size the tank is. It's 30" tall.
            RoyB
            Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
            Miller Diversion 165
            Purox W200 O/A
            Grizzly 9957 Mill
            Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
            TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

I love how the remote is an rj-45 (ethernet) connection.
              Miller Maxstar 200 DX
              RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
              Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
              Hitachi 4.5" grinder
              http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Yes, that RJ45 will make foot pedal cable repairs a snap.......Good call on Millers part
                RoyB
                Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
                Miller Diversion 165
                Purox W200 O/A
                Grizzly 9957 Mill
                Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
                TP Blast Cabinet

Comment

looks like a great little package, just what we have seen asked for many times in the past. i suspect it will put a huge dent in the TA-185 sales. for a home hobby guy its a nice fit.

what tungsten do you plan on using with it ??
                  i suspect it came with a cerated, yes ?
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Diversion 165

Roy: That looks really nice! Miller did real well on that one. That's an "ether net" connection for a foot control? Wow, there's a new market trend headed our way. Answer me this; the torch is an integrated part of the machine? I like the torch set up, but don't know if the sell them seperately for like my Syncrowave 200? You did a nice job with the cart too.
                    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I'm sure you'll be happy with the way it welds, mine's been great so far. Haven't got a chance to try it on AC yet though, but on DC with mild steel and stainless it's been great

I hope you dont mind me throwing in my experience with the Diversion on your thread:

I've got to use a number of welders during the TIG course I'm currently taking, including the Lincoln Precision TIG 185 and 225 and some ESAB units, and the arc starts and arc stability on the Diversion 165 are better then any of them (although I'm sure this has to do atleast partially with machine age as well though).

If I had to pick things I wasn't crazy about, I'd say the torch/lead feels a fair bit heavier and more cumbersome then most, and the AC/DC switch is pretty cheap feeling (why not use a beefier switch?) But these are things dictated by the price of the machine, and overall it's exactly what I was in the market for. The hand control on the torch comes in handy too for tacking (especially in hard to reach/out of position, or on-car in my case), but I definetely prefer the foot pedal when possible.

Miller gets a big thumbs up from me, and for the free TIG gloves too

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                        That's an "ether net" connection for a foot control? Wow, there's a new market trend headed our way.
                        (Just in case not everyone knows this...)

It's "just" an RJ-45 connector, and not all RJ-45 connectors are
                        Ethernet connectors... Some are computer serial port connectors,
                        some are for multi-line phones (their original use, "RJ-45" is some
                        dusty old Ma Bell specification), and some are used as
                        jacks to connect TIG welder foot pedals to the machine.

If you connect this to your Ethernet hub or PC to your
                        welder, you are likely to hurt some piece of gear in a
                        very expensive, if not permanent, way.

Frank
                        Last edited by fjk; 12-02-2008, 12:21 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                          Roy: That looks really nice! Miller did real well on that one. That's an "ether net" connection for a foot control? Wow, there's a new market trend headed our way. Answer me this; the torch is an integrated part of the machine? I like the torch set up, but don't know if the sell them seperately for like my Syncrowave 200? You did a nice job with the cart too.
                          Yes, the Weldcraft LS17 torch is available for use on other machines. The standard torch is available in 12.5’ and 25’ lengths and is available with or without a gas valve on the torch. Where the LS17 torch that is being used on the Diversion 165 is hard mounted to the machine (at both the power cable and remote connection), the standard torch uses the international (Dinse) style connection for the power cable and the Miller 14 pin connector for the remote. Feel free to contact Weldcraft with any other questons at 800-752-7620. Weldcraft is in the process of changing their website, so the LS17 is currently not on their website. Sorry.

On a side note, I would also like to point out that Weldcraft is changing the color scheme on LS17 torches used on the Diversion 165 in the coming months at our request. The new torches will be black and gray, where the standard Weldcraft torches will continue to be red and gray. (Basically everything red on the torch will be black.) Quite frankly, this is being done just for aesthetic purposes and the black and gray fit the machine’s color scheme a little closer. I just wanted to keep you all informed.
                          John Swartz
                          Miller Electric Mfg., Co.

John.S[email protected]

Comment

Thanks John

Yeah, that's what I was wondering if this particular torch model would be available as an aftermarket replacement for other machines. I really like the set up, and would afford an opportunity to use this new torch without the need for the "finger/thumb" control. Will keep looking at the Weldcraft website for updates.

FJK: Thanks for explaining the "ethernet" port configuration. I could imagine it would be a real "short circuit transfer" if someone tried to connect their PC (or anything else) to it. Thanks, Frank

Dave
                            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

No problem with jumping in on this thread with comments on the 165s use. The more the merrier.

The only part of the machine I would like to change is the attached torch. It would be nice to be able to remove it and the ground wire for transport. The torch will get damaged at some point in time as I plan on transporting this unit from my house to my business at times. But I understand the cost of the various connectors needed.

The On'Off switch might feel "light", but it is actually a very high quality switch (I took the cover off yesterday to have a look inside... )

I got to stop typing and get welding so I can do the second part of this review
                              RoyB
                              Dartmouth, MA

Millermatic 185 MIG
                              Miller Diversion 165
                              Purox W200 O/A
                              Grizzly 9957 Mill
                              Jet 1236 Metal Lathe
                              TP Blast Cabinet

Comment