Any need help on welding Aluminum w/mig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob'swelding
    • Nov 2008

Any need help on welding Aluminum w/mig?

Just thought I would post that. I would be more than happy to help.
    I use a Millermatic 180 w/ spoolgun attachment, .035 4043 wire.

Let me know I'll do my best too help you!

Rob
  • LewisCobb
    • May 2008

Originally posted by Rob'swelding View Post
    Just thought I would post that. I would be more than happy to help.
    I use a Millermatic 180 w/ spoolgun attachment, .035 4043 wire.

Let me know I'll do my best too help you!

Rob
    Hi Rob - greetings from the east coast of Canada where we are getting our first snowstorm of the year.

I don't need any help -I am a newbie with a stick/tig machine - but my buddy (another newbie) is considering getting a MIG with a spool gun. We were wondering what's the trade off with tig or mig/spoolgun approaches to welding aluminum? Is the MIG better for thicker sections, or just faster etc?

Thanks !

Lewis

Comment

• Rob'swelding
      • Nov 2008

Well, I think the answer to both of your questions would be more of what you have already. Welding thick material would have to do w/amperage rating of the welder not mig or tig. For instance, My mig can weld up to about quarter inch w/ preheat. My machine is the Millermatic 180 (220volt)w/spool gun. Now...setup for me is kind of a lil work, you see I usually use this Mig machine for solid wire or fluxcore.....so, that means I gotta change the polarity, the gun assembly,the gas bottle and the gauges. But if you had a tig set up you could set up rather quickly for aluminum. To get a nice weld bead appearance you gotta get it dialed in for "Spray arc" basiclly turn up the amperage and the wire speed till you hear a hissin sound not fry bacon sound. I would say tig is better! Mig is faster.
      Hope I answered it for ya!

Comment

• LewisCobb
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Rob'swelding View Post
        Well, I think the answer to both of your questions would be more of what you have already. Welding thick material would have to do w/amperage rating of the welder not mig or tig. For instance, My mig can weld up to about quarter inch w/ preheat. My machine is the Millermatic 180 (220volt)w/spool gun. Now...setup for me is kind of a lil work, you see I usually use this Mig machine for solid wire or fluxcore.....so, that means I gotta change the polarity, the gun assembly,the gas bottle and the gauges. But if you had a tig set up you could set up rather quickly for aluminum. To get a nice weld bead appearance you gotta get it dialed in for "Spray arc" basiclly turn up the amperage and the wire speed till you hear a hissin sound not fry bacon sound. I would say tig is better! Mig is faster.
        Hope I answered it for ya!

Hi Rob - yep - that's pretty much covered it. I'll pass this along to my buddy so that he can factor it into his decision on what way to go.

Thanks very much!
        Lewis

Comment

• Rob'swelding
          • Nov 2008

Dont have to change the Gauges, that slipped in there.

Comment

• LuckyEddie
            • Nov 2008

Rob
            Have you got any pictures of what the weld looks like (sample)? I have a Millermatic 250 with a 30a spool gun and have been wanting to try it. What gas are you using? I have argon for the tig and tried it one time with 4043 wire but I cooked a few tips and never made a weld that I would use or show anyone.

Happy turkey day
            later
            Robert

Comment

You can get excellent results with a spoolgun. I rarely do aluminum short circuit......almost always spray transfer or pulse.....I always use a push technique and run hot and fast. I do a circular motion and you can make it look great. I personally only use spoolgun on 3/16 or bigger as I like to tig everything else when it's not too time consuming. You get better gas coverage using the push technique as well. Little secret....once you get your amperage right on the spoolgun you are gonna want to adjust the wire speed with one gloveless hand while welding on a test piece as the settings are alot more sensitive than with steel. Dave
              Originally posted by LuckyEddie View Post
              Rob
              Have you got any pictures of what the weld looks like (sample)? I have a Millermatic 250 with a 30a spool gun and have been wanting to try it. What gas are you using? I have argon for the tig and tried it one time with 4043 wire but I cooked a few tips and never made a weld that I would use or show anyone.

Happy turkey day
              later
              Robert

Comment

• LuckyEddie
                • Nov 2008

Thanks for your reply Dave

What voltage are you running and are you using argon?

I have a Syncrowave 250 for thin material but would like to use the Millermatic for speed. I would like to get into MIG stainless but for now aluminum is on my to do list

Thanks
                Robert
                Last edited by LuckyEddie; 11-28-2008, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• safetydave
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks for your reply Dave

What voltage are you running and are you using argon?

I have a Syncrowave 250 for thin material but would like to use the Millermatic for speed. I would like to get into MIG stainless but for now aluminum is on mu to do list

Thanks
                  Robert
                  Hey lucky what part of Wilmington do you live? I have a school budy that lives down by the coast around the Aquirium place (can't remember the name)
                  but I know it's down at the bottom of the state, we went there for a family vacation about 2 yrs ago.
                  Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
                  RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
                  Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
                  Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
                  DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                  Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
                  Lincoln 225 arc welder
                  Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
                  assortment bar clamps

Comment

• LuckyEddie
                    • Nov 2008

That would be in Kure Beach, just a mile south of Carolina Beach on 421, nice place and at the end of the road. I am about seven miles up the road just off of Masonboro Sound road (he should know of it). I can hear the ocean in the morning when I get up and it is great. Got a shop in the back yard and work on whatever I want.

Have a nice day
                    Robert

Comment

• Chuck
                      • Dec 2008

Mig Gas Al

Hi Rob -

Santa got me a Spoolmate to go with my Millermatic 212. I would like to be able to weld Al and bronze.

I am looking forward to learning spray transfer - sounds like a kick. My question has to do with the gas needed. I know I need argon, but can I use the same argon for steel so I won't have to fool around with another tank, or would the straight argon hurt my steel welding?

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have lots more questions as I start to attempt these metals.

c.

Comment

• Dmaxer
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                        .....I am looking forward to learning spray transfer - sounds like a kick. My question has to do with the gas needed. I know I need argon, but can I use the same argon for steel so I won't have to fool around with another tank, or would the straight argon hurt my steel welding?....
                        Chuck,

For short circuit GMAW on mild steel you'll need argon blended with C02 as argon alone isn't reactive enough for a penetrating mig weld. C-25 (25% C02) is the most common shielding gas for this purpose.
                        Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
                        Miller S-22A wirefeeder
                        Bernard 400A "Q" gun
                        Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
                        CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
                        Hypertherm Powermax 30
                        O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

• safetydave
                          • Oct 2007

That would be in Kure Beach, just a mile south of Carolina Beach on 421, nice place and at the end of the road. I am about seven miles up the road just off of Masonboro Sound road (he should know of it). I can hear the ocean in the morning when I get up and it is great. Got a shop in the back yard and work on whatever I want.

Have a nice day
                          Robert
                          Hi Rob, I had to look it up but when we were down there we stayed at Wrightsville Beach for a couple of days then down to Carolina Beach for a couple more days, the kids thought the NC Aquarium was pretty cool and the info about all the storms and the damage they shell out around that area.
                          Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
                          RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
                          Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
                          Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
                          DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                          Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
                          Lincoln 225 arc welder
                          Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
                          assortment bar clamps

Comment

• LuckyEddie
                            • Nov 2008

When ya coming back??? I like it here and I like the water. The thing that I am having trouble with is the sand and the salt water. I know that sounds strange but when I build an engine or something that needs to be really clean it is more difficult than when I lived inland. The salt water will eat 316L and I was surprised by that. I built the rigging for a shrimp boat and all the fittings to go with it out of 316L but it still needs to be cleaned with acid each year and anything under water needs to be inspected. I used my 250 to tig every piece of it because I was not confident with the mig process. That is what I am trying to find more information on here.
                            More later I do not want to hijack this thread.

Later
                            Robert

Comment

• LuckyEddie
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                              Hi Rob -

Santa got me a Spoolmate to go with my Millermatic 212. I would like to be able to weld Al and bronze.

I am looking forward to learning spray transfer - sounds like a kick. My question has to do with the gas needed. I know I need argon, but can I use the same argon for steel so I won't have to fool around with another tank, or would the straight argon hurt my steel welding?

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have lots more questions as I start to attempt these metals.

c.
                              Chuck
                              How are you doing with the spool gun???? Whitch gun did you get?? I am really interested in your progress and how you have it set up.

Thanks
                              Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X