X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by Engloid View Post
    I'm in TN also, and not that far from you...but things are a lot different in my area. I don't remember a time that I was told how quickly I had to put on a hot pass. I have typically done 6010 root, and fill with 7018. Actually, in my 20+ years of welding, I've never had to do a weld with all 6010. Also, grinding is allowed...whatever you have to do to pass the xray, you do it.

My method: I run the root with 6010, I will grind the root only in places that I have a lump (cold start), or an area that I think I may not be able to easily burn penetrate with the hot pass. I then use a 3/32" 7018 for a hot pass. The 3/32 will burn smoothly at a lower amperage than a 1/8" rod will...and therefore helps me to reduce the frequency of blowing through the root pass.
    ENGLOID,

THE SPECS I MENTIONED ARE FOR NATURAL GAS PIPE FOR KUB: KNOXVILLE UTILITES BOARD. I HAVE FOUND SEVERAL OTHER COMPANIES HAVE ADOPTED THEM AS WELL. PERSONALLY I PREFER THE 7018 FILL AND CAP.

Leave a comment:

• Shep
    replied
    Originally posted by dmk welding View Post
    Sounds good Shep, thanks for the advice. The job will consist of 2" heavy wall and 4" sched 40, so I guess I'll go with a 1/8 fill and see how that turns out.
    I'm actually in Estevan right now for this project. Maybe we can meet up for a coffee sometime if we're not too busy.
    Take care.
    Hey that sounds good. Let me know if you have time. Who are you working for and how long do you expect to be in Estevan? I generally work 5 - 10's and weekends off. Good luck with the job!

Leave a comment:

• Engloid
    replied
    Originally posted by HAWK View Post
    dmk welding,

Looks like Shep has it down for you.

Just a note FYI: Down south in Tennessee, USA most everything from rolling welds to "Arc -n-Saw" 6G pipe welds are 6010 root, hot pass-within 5 minutes, remaining fill, and cap-uphill on the 6G. No grinding except with a knot brush to remove slag. All welds 100% radiographed. No 7018 allowed. A few union guys tried to sneak in a 7018 cap, but got busted.
    I'm in TN also, and not that far from you...but things are a lot different in my area. I don't remember a time that I was told how quickly I had to put on a hot pass. I have typically done 6010 root, and fill with 7018. Actually, in my 20+ years of welding, I've never had to do a weld with all 6010. Also, grinding is allowed...whatever you have to do to pass the xray, you do it.

My method: I run the root with 6010, I will grind the root only in places that I have a lump (cold start), or an area that I think I may not be able to easily burn penetrate with the hot pass. I then use a 3/32" 7018 for a hot pass. The 3/32 will burn smoothly at a lower amperage than a 1/8" rod will...and therefore helps me to reduce the frequency of blowing through the root pass.

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    Glad to hear your working, let us know how you make out with this job.
    When you get home and have some time we should meet again, maybe get a coffee or something.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    dmk welding,

Looks like Shep has it down for you.

Just a note FYI: Down south in Tennessee, USA most everything from rolling welds to "Arc -n-Saw" 6G pipe welds are 6010 root, hot pass-within 5 minutes, remaining fill, and cap-uphill on the 6G. No grinding except with a knot brush to remove slag. All welds 100% radiographed. No 7018 allowed. A few union guys tried to sneak in a 7018 cap, but got busted. The spec was written 40+ years ago and has never changed...fine with me. My certs cover 6010 root, hot pass, fill, cap from 1-24" butt weld 6G all position.
    Last edited by HAWK; 11-20-2008, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dmk welding
    replied
    Sounds good Shep, thanks for the advice. The job will consist of 2" heavy wall and 4" sched 40, so I guess I'll go with a 1/8 fill and see how that turns out.
    I'm actually in Estevan right now for this project. Maybe we can meet up for a coffee sometime if we're not too busy.
    Take care.

Leave a comment:

• Shep
    replied
    Choice of rod size depends to a large extent on the pipe size and thickness and of course on how comfortable you are with doing this type of welding. On 2" sch 40 I use 3/32and go just fast enough to fill a little below the bevel edge for the hot pass. On the bigger pipe you can use 1/8 as the pipe can handle more heat. I usually stop part way around to clean the slag off the start point , even if I can make a complete pass with one rod. I do this because I have a tendancy to trap slag at the tie in if I don't. Also, you might find porosity at the start which can then be removed if it is a concern. You are allowed a fair bit of internal porosity though before it will be called for repair. As far as grinding the root, you will probably want to grind a little more than when you hot pass with 6010. You might like to practise a few coupons with different amounts of grinding and so on and then cut them with the band saw down the center of your weld joint so you can see what you might be leaving behind. Hope that is some help to you .

Leave a comment:

• dmk welding
    started a topic Sour spec weld code

Sour spec weld code

I'm starting a job tomorrow that is going to be done to sour spec, %100 x-ray and I hear that we can't use a 6010 hot pass. So it'll be a 6010 root and 7018 fill and cap, mostly all roll welds. My question is what size 7018 would you guys use for the fill pass and how much, if any, grinding would you do after the root? The tolerances are low and it has to be super clean. Any advice is appreciated as always.
Working...
X