OEM vs generic contact tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM vs generic contact tips

I was surprised to find that there are actually generically manufactured contact tips available for the Miller guns, as I was going through the Acklands-Grainger catalog to figure out the part number of the Miller contact tips.

They are less than 1/4 the price of the OEM ones. The OEM ones are $2.25 a pop up here. Does any one have any experience with the generic ones?

I was going to stick with OEM but I'll take the savings if they are going to be good enough for my use. Note that I am far from being 'good' at welding at all. I can run some beads with my MM 210 and stick some metal together and hope to get better at it as time goes on.

A tip is pretty low on the technology end of things so it likely wouldn't make a lot of difference but they last a long time, a small pak should last thru several rolls of wire, the cost is kind of moot. I have ruined a couple right off the bat but had some that last several rolls of wire too.

Comment

nfinch86-Canadian Weldor :

Originally posted by new2weld View Post
      I was surprised to find that there are actually generically manufactured contact tips available for the Miller guns, as I was going through the Acklands-Grainger catalog to figure out the part number of the Miller contact tips.

They are less than 1/4 the price of the OEM ones. The OEM ones are $2.25 a pop up here. Does any one have any experience with the generic ones?

I was going to stick with OEM but I'll take the savings if they are going to be good enough for my use. Note that I am far from being 'good' at welding at all. I can run some beads with my MM 210 and stick some metal together and hope to get better at it as time goes on.
      new2weld, HI; I've Never used Miller Mig Guns, But Lincoln Mig Tips Which is What I Use Are cheapest at Canadian Tire, By Far!!! I Refere to Canadian Tire as I See you Are From S.Ont. as I am!!....... Norm :
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Weather, or Not

Hey Norm: Phoenix, Az--85/Sunny
        Toronto- 32 (0)/Chance of flurries

Have a nice day!

Dave

"Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Hi Norm. Canadian tire doesn't carry the Miller tips unfortunately. Sure would be convenient if they did!

I went through the first set of tips quite quickly while getting my hands dirty for the first time with mig. Wasted several tips real quick learning to weld uphill and feeding the gun into the puddle from being used to a little bit of stick welding before that :-).

I'll bet those last three tips will last me a while but I might as well buy a package as I am bound to run out at some point when I am in the middle of a project.

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor:

Hi Norm. Canadian tire doesn't carry the Miller tips unfortunately. Sure would be convenient if they did!

I went through the first set of tips quite quickly while getting my hands dirty for the first time with mig. Wasted several tips real quick learning to weld uphill and feeding the gun into the puddle from being used to a little bit of stick welding before that :-).

I'll bet those last three tips will last me a while but I might as well buy a package as I am bound to run out at some point when I am in the middle of a project.
            new2weld, HI; Yea Keep them Handy, I'm Also A Profesional Weldor Though, So I Always Have a Package of Each Size on the Truck At ALL TIMES!!!!...... Norm :

Comment

nfinch86- Canadian Weldor:

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post

Have a nice day!

Dave

davedarragh, Hi; ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T NEED HELP CLEANING YOUR POOL??? I'm Always Available If You Need Any Asisstance!!!! REALLY!!!!,........ Norm :
              PS. Forget the Chance of Flurries, IT SNOWED TODAY !!!!! O.M.G.??
              Last edited by nfinch86; 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post

Have a nice day!

Dave

The L.A. infernos keepin' you warm eh?

It may be cold in the north, but at least we don't have to start over every few years!

Comment

Hi Norm. Canadian tire doesn't carry the Miller tips unfortunately. Sure would be convenient if they did!...
                  Yes, the Lincoln and Miller tips are different thread lengths and pitches. BUT, the tolerances are such that a Lincoln tip will thread all the way in and seat in a Miller gun. I've been using Lincoln tips in all my Millers and Hobarts since time immemorial, mostly because they are, as noted, easier to find in places other than Miller dealers.

The reverse, I am told, is not true, which makes sense because the Miller has the longer threaded body.

Comment

I use tips from http://www.htpweld.com/ they are 1/2 the price and ship free with wire purchased on ebay from seller welders4less.
                    Here is some good info on tips and parts....Bob
                    http://www.superiorconsumables.com/default.htm
                    Bob Wright

Comment

aametalmaster - thanks for that 'tip' :-)

I was going to place an order from him on ebay but the ebay application he's got on his site prices shipping for one 5$ package to me for about $25 US! It is assuming a fancy USPS Priority International mode of shipping. I've dropped him and email to see if he will ship them using plain ol US post surface mail.

It should not be much more than shipping within the USA - maybe a few bucks more so I hope he will do it. That will save me a trip to the the welding store which is a bit out of my way anyway.

Comment

aametalmaster - thanks for that 'tip' :-)

I was going to place an order from him on ebay but the ebay application he's got on his site prices shipping for one 5$ package to me for about $25 US! It is assuming a fancy USPS Priority International mode of shipping. I've dropped him and email to see if he will ship them using plain ol US post surface mail.

It should not be much more than shipping within the USA - maybe a few bucks more so I hope he will do it. That will save me a trip to the the welding store which is a bit out of my way anyway.
                        You can call their 800 # (800 USA WELD) and get the same price as what is on ebay. Ask for Diana. She'll take good care of you.

Also, they'll sell contact tips in 25 packs for less $$ if you ask them.
                        Millermatic Passport Plus
                        Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
                        XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
                        Dynasty 300 DX
                        Thermal Arc 400 MST
                        Victor O/A
                        Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Comment

One way to find out is to buy them and see.

Early this year I bought a bag of generic tips (I don't mig but we use flux core from time to time) and while I've never had a single hicup with Lincoln tips, several of the off brand tips were overly snug and once they warmed up the wire would stick in the tip. So I wasted quite a bit of time getting them out, twisting the 5/64" wire all the way.
                          I'm sticking to Lincoln tips myself from here on out.
                          I change tips with every spool of wire, but like I said we run 5/64" and .072" flux core in large spools.
                          Keep in mind the tip is your only electrical connection to the wire. I've been on large Bechtel jobs where UT was calling porosity repairs, and the simple fix was to change out tips more often.

JTMcC.
                          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

I contacted them and they worked out a decent shipping deal to here with a tracking number through US post. Ordered 3 bags of ten - if I had checked here I might have ordered the 25!.

Diana handled my questions/responses to get me the shipping deal. She's a super gal!

I like only LWS around here but I have to go to it in the middle of my work day, take a toll road etc. at $5 for that and at the end of the day this was more about convenience than anything else. I'm guessing if they work for aametalmaster and crawler - chances are pretty darn good that they are going to work for me

Comment

I'm guessing if they work for aametalmaster and crawler - chances are pretty darn good that they are going to work for me
                              Lets put it this way. My spoolgun has never run better with the HTP tips. I converted it from the small thread tip to the standard mig gun tip. I can even run .035 wire thru the .030 tip with zero problems. And i don't have to stock 6 different tips for my spoolgun and mig now i just stock 3...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X