Dynasty 200DX software upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200DX software upgrade

Does anyone know if a 2005 model 200DX can have the software updated? And I still get very poor results from High Frequency start, I have tried changing starting voltage and polarity with no better results, sometimes the Hifreq does not even kick in, I have tested with no ground to be able to view with no shield. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,Paul
    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

No, software bundles are pre loaded

Comment

Cruizer, I assume they are on EPROMS????Thanks for the info,Paul
      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Ahhh, no, Eproms can be removed, in this case the only way to upgrade the software is by buying a rather expensive circuit board.

Comment

The HF on my Dynasty 200 DX got worse and worse until it quit entirely. I found that I had to sand the slight oxide off the tip of the tungsten after each weld to get the HF to work. Once the HF quit I had the HF board replaced under warrantee. I haven't had to sand the tungsten once since the board was replaced. I get an arc that easily jumps across about 3/4". It seems that there are lots of people that have Dynasty welders with HF problems. I wonder if some of these people have marginal HF boards.

Cruzer please chime in with your experience if you are following this thread.
          Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
          Miller Dynasty 200DX
          Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
          Lincoln LE 31 MP
          Lincoln 210 MP
          Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
          16" DoAll Saw
          15" Drill Press
          7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
          20 Ton Arbor Press
          Bridgeport

Comment

I have a Maxstar 200dx which is the same machine as the Dynasty except for the a/c.. I was having the same problem with high frequency starts also. I spoke to some miller reps at the at an international oil show in odessa tx. recently about the problem I was having. their response was, are you using thoriated tungsten 2%,( red tip )? if so that is the problem. They expained that for the inverter machines such as the Dynasty and Maxstar using the 2% throiated tungsten would cause the oxide or rather a frosting to develope on the tungsten. They recommend using ceraited tungsten ( orange tip ) I have tired it and it works, no more brushing the end of the tungsten for high frequency starts. I hope this helps you with youre dynasty, it helped me with my Maxstar.

Comment

We've got a new Dynasty 350 here in Australia with the same problem, what a massive disappointment for a very expensive Tig machine. This has to be the worst high frequency start of any machine I've ever been involved with, I can see the spark going from torch to job but it just won't light off at times, it's a pile of expensive [email protected] Had the tech guys in and they just scratch their heads and say "yeah, we've had a few reports of Dynasty's with bad HF starting" but that's not an acceptable excuse for the problem.
              We're using Kemppi inverters which will light off every time I reckon they'd pretty much light an arc through paint they're that good on HF start.
              Another problem with the Dynasty 350 and I don't know if it applies to the 200 is if for some reason you have to break the arc by pulling the torch away from the weld suddenly for any reason the machine keeps looking for somewhere to re initiate the arc for what seems forever. You've now got a live torch looking for an earth, if it's near your body you're going to get zapped. If it's near someone else they'll get zapped if you take it back to the work to start welding again and it's one of those times it will start it'll track to where ever it wants.
              Bearing in mind that we are welding aluminium radiators with very thin tubes it's not the best thing for your confidence.
              I can hear the chorus of calls now "well don't break the arc that way" but for those who haven't welded radiators you've never experienced the way the welding arc can suddenly track over the furnace brazed header plate assembly towards the tubes and you have no choice but to break the arc that way.
              Miller have even built the machine this way on purpose and I quote from the user manual.

(High Frequency.
              When HF start light button is On, start arc as follows:
              High Frequency turns on to start arc when output is enabled. High Frequency turns off when the arc is started, and turns on whenever arc is broken to help restart arc.)

This is one dumb feature to build into the software, if the arc is broken it should only ever be re initiated by the weldor never by the machine, this is a basic safety issue.
              When it's welding it's fine, a nice stable AC arc with lots of adjust ability but these HF problems are really trying our patience. It's got lots of power but I wouldn't say it does anything much different than the Kemppi's we also use.
              Regards Andrew from Oz.
              We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
              OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
              Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

OZ...So I would guess you don't use older transformers with "continuous" HF either? They will lay you out as well.
                Btw, it's actually the argon flow enabling it to carry that arc. Use a live torch with a valve and then get the hang of that

On my first 200 DX that I sold, I found once I got used to it, I could run the tungsten until it was absolute crap some days and just touching it would do the job. Many times I've got myself crawled thru a trailer in between pontoon logs (three log ones) and it is too much of a hassle to crawl out and get the stuff to grind properly.
                I think default setting on the newer ones is much higher than the old ones.
                If you are not expecting it it will shock everything it gets near...for me just because I had grown so used to my first Dynasty that I had developed bad habits. Then I got ahold of this fire breather and it took a bit.

As far as learning how to break the arc goes, I got really good at that using a "live" torch for many years. For simply breaking the arc (and starting it too for that matter) NOTHING beats a momentary button.

I do get you frustration tho...yer saying it (your Dyn 350) lights off on everything EXCEPT what it is supposed to....oh well....Would you be interested in sending it to a worthy charity as a write off?? I have run a non-profit company for many years and would know exactly how to put it to good use

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                  OZ...So I would guess you don't use older transformers with "continuous" HF either? They will lay you out as well.
                  Btw, it's actually the argon flow enabling it to carry that arc. Use a live torch with a valve and then get the hang of that

As far as learning how to break the arc goes, I got really good at that using a "live" torch for many years. For simply breaking the arc (and starting it too for that matter) NOTHING beats a momentary button.

I do get you frustration tho...yer saying it (your Dyn 350) lights off on everything EXCEPT what it is supposed to....oh well....Would you be interested in sending it to a worthy charity as a write off?? I have run a non-profit company for many years and would know exactly how to put it to good use
                  FusionKing, yeah I'm of a similar age to you according to your profile and I also grew up in the time of transformer machines and torches with valves that you regularly forgot to turn off and empty the bottle overnight .
                  I've broken the arc and started the weld as well with a continuously running HF. But to build a machine now that actively seeks ground if the arc is broken is a mistake in my eyes.
                  For the varied work we do a pedal isn't really feasible and I've never found a fingertip amptrol I'm happy with so we use the switch on the torch on 4tl I think we're using at the moment. But even if you break the arc and then trigger the switch to try and stop it nothing happens except for the Dynasty hunting for a ground for about 10 seconds or so.
                  The HF is working, I can see that by the tracer spark jumping from torch to work (it'll do that 1-1.5" from the job) but it doesn't light off well. Get to the end of a piece of filler wire, grab another and try to start at the weld end and it's pot luck if it will light off unless you get reeeeeealllllly close. Not acceptable in my eyes for such an expensive machine.
                  Don't get me wrong, it welds very nicely indeed and more features than I've figured out how to get the best out of it yet but we've only had it 3 weeks so far. But compared to the other inverters we have used and continue to use the HF sucks big time.
                  Regards Andrew.
                  We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
                  OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
                  Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

Comment

I would venture to say the very thing you are describing is adjustable...I know it is on the 200 DX. So surely it is on the 350 as well?
                    Do you have access to the manual?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Contact millers tech line. They helped me with my hard arc start. It had to do with the arc gap being out of range,,,,,slightly,,,,,,very slightly. However, I will not elaborate here as I am not a trained tech and I would feel terrible if you did something to fix it and it hurt you or you hurt it.

I hope you understand, they are the professionals,

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X