Dynasty 350 high frequency.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 350 high frequency.

A couple of us weldors are putting our new Dynasty 350 through its paces and we have both commented on just how bad the high frequency start is.
    Is there a "secret squirrel" menu to increase the high frequency level to give us better starts on AC Aluminium welding? I'm finding it a particular problem on very soft sine wave welding I like to use on fuel tank shell welding.
    Regards Andrew.
    We are tig welders, gravity doesn't worry us.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.
    OTC AVP300 AC/DC 300 amp hybrid wave Tig. (now retired)
    Kemppi MLS 2300 230amp AC/DC Tig for home with all the bells and whistles.

I haven't really had any problems with high frequency starts on our Dynasty 350's at work but none the less I think it mentions in the manual how to enter the hidden menu.
    If you don't have a paper copy just download one here: http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
    and then print out the pages you need.
    at home:
    2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
    2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
    2008 Suitcase 12RC
    Spoolmatic 30A
    WC-24
    2009 Dynasty 200DX
    2000 XMT 304
    2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Sold:MM130XP
    Sold:MM 251
    Sold:CST 280

at work:
    Invision 350MP
    Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

It also helps to start better if you sand any oxide off the tungsten after each weld.
      Miller Thunderbolt
      Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
      Miller Dynasty 200DX
      Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
      Lincoln LE 31 MP
      Lincoln 210 MP
      Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
      16" DuAll Saw
      15" Drill Press
      7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
      20 Ton Arbor Press
      Bridgeport

Comment

We've got both the hard copy manual and the online pdf one for the Dynasty but we can't find out if there is a way to get into changing the intensity of the H/Freq. It says in both manuals about accessing advanced functions but nothing about the H/Freq.
        We can see the tracer spark going from torch to work but it won't ignite the arc until the torch gets very close to the work and if the material is a bit oxidised then it's really a problem.
        If anyone else has some info regarding the H/Freq it would be really appreciated.
        Regards Andrew from Oz.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.

Comment

Originally posted by Don52 View Post
          It also helps to start better if you sand any oxide off the tungsten after each weld.
          In a production environment there is no way that's an acceptable alternative for a top of the line Tig machine.
          Regards Andrew from Oz.

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig.

Comment

You may have a problem with your HF board. On my Dynasty 200DX I noticed that the HF spark got weaker and weaker over time. I kept working by rubbing the tip to a piece of sand paper, after each weld as I stated in my previous post. Eventually the HF board failed completely and I was left with only touch start mode. Interesting enough, after I had the HF board replaced under warrantee I have never (not once) needed to sand the tip. Currently the HF arc length is about 3/4 inch.

If the 350 is similar to the 200 I believe that people may be suggesting that you change the start current. This really isn't the same as the HF intensity. In the attached thread other people observed that changing the start current had no effect on the HF arc, or starting.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=14398

If your metal and tungsten are clean you may have a problem with your HF board.

Good luck.
            Miller Thunderbolt
            Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
            Lincoln LE 31 MP
            Lincoln 210 MP
            Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
            16" DuAll Saw
            15" Drill Press
            7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
            20 Ton Arbor Press
            Bridgeport

Comment

Originally posted by awill4x4 View Post
              A couple of us weldors are putting our new Dynasty 350 through its paces and we have both commented on just how bad the high frequency start is.
              Is there a "secret squirrel" menu to increase the high frequency level to give us better starts on AC Aluminium welding? I'm finding it a particular problem on very soft sine wave welding I like to use on fuel tank shell welding.
              Regards Andrew.
              Andrew

Did you ever solve this problem? I have a new 2 month old dynasty 350 and for the last two weeks it seems more and more that I can't get a start unless I am just about touching the aluminum. In fact, several times I have hit the aluminum and have to do a regrind. Wondering if you ever got this fixed Thanks, Leefy

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
              Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
              Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
              Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
              Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
              Jackson auto dark helmet
              18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
              Oxy/Act
              Horizontal Band Saw
              Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
              7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
              4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
              1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
              2 - IR Die Grinders
              All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Comment

Well if you have a Dynasty 350 check your point gap, pop he wrap around cover off and the points are on the right hand side near the front.

Should be around the 0.010" mark.

Comment

I'm sure Cruizer knows more about the Dynasty 350 than I do, however if the HF is arcing from the tungsten to the workpiece (the little arcs the OP described) I don't think HF is the problem.

I suspect he needs to increase his start amps, rather than mess with the HF.

May try resetting the machine to "factory settings". Could have messed up the start amps while "playing around" figuring out the machine.

Cruizer,

You're saying the Dynasty 350 still employs points for HF. Strange because it seems with the Dynasty 200 Miller got away from the points and initiate the HF arc with a solid state board. At least that's the way I understood it. On the Sync 250 they show how to adjust the points. No mention of points is made in the Dynasty 200 Owner's Manual.
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

Leefy,

If you're still having your problem, I would contact Miller Tech support directly. They could walk you thru resetting your start amps.

Another option would be to e-mail KB Fabrications your problem. He has a Dynasty 350 (as well as a Dynasty 200) and knows the machine as well as anyone. He was one of the first to figure out the problem with arc starts on the older (pre Blue Lightning) Dynasty 200's.

KB used to post quite a bit here and was one of the most knowledgeable guys on the board. Doesn't come here very often anymore. Think he got tired of being second guessed by a bunch of "know it all posters" who don't know squat. I've always found him to be quite helpful.
                    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                    Hobart HH187
                    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                    More grinders than hands

Comment

Just looking through the 350/700 tech manual. and it shows the points and adjustment, however a 2 month old or new machine shouldn't be HF problematic. Likely is with his setup.

Machines down from this have a non adjustable start board

Comment

Thanks for the information. Most probably operator error. I will run through the setup to get it back to the original start-up and try that first. If that doesn't help, I will go to the other suggestions. Since I am new to tig and the 350 both, I may have something goofed up. I have been playing with start-up amps some and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I also notice that if I stop the weld and attempt to restart prior to post flow ending, it seems like it doesn't go till post flow has ended. Again, thanks for the advice and I will try factory setup first.

Jackson auto dark helmet
                        Oxy/Act
                        Horizontal Band Saw
                        Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
                        2 - IR Die Grinders

Comment

If the tungsten is contaminated it wont start very easily on my Dynasty 200 dx.
                          Coiled leads can be a problem too...... at least on the older points system.
                          mike sr

Comment

Latest

Just as most of you suspected, I think for sure it was self induced. Checked out what the factory settings are suppose to be and then went through what I had set. The start time is suppose to be set to 40 m seconds and somewhere along the way, I had it set to 3 m seconds. Didn't want to get caught welding in my pj's(cause I don't wear any) so I didn't try to weld but as you pointed out, I think it was my mistake. Thanks for taking the time to point out what I should have done in the first place. I will fire it up tomorrow and do a follow-up after the test. Thanks for putting up with stupid questions. Leefy

Jackson auto dark helmet
                            Oxy/Act
                            Horizontal Band Saw
                            Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
                            2 - IR Die Grinders

Comment

i use green 100% tungsten on our dynasty 350 with great results...

Comment

Working...
                              X