TIG rod identification????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG rod identification????

I was given a handful of TIG welding rod that came from an aircraft repair facility. The rods are marked with a double blue, a brown and a black color designation on one end. No other idenification on the rod. Looks like 1/16th dia..Anyone have a clue as to what I have here? Thanks Walt
    Attached Files

I'll try a different approach: I did a look all over the internet to idenify this stuff. Can't find any info anywhere. Who color code's TIG filler rod for idenification? There's no numbers or any other marking except the color mark?? It does not rust but a magnet sticks to it...Still looking , Thanks for any help,. Walt

Comment

I'd try the aforementioned aircraft repair facility myself.....

Al...

Comment

Looks like an in house ID system, why would you put paint on a tig rod????it would only cause problems when you got to that part, hope this helps,Paul
        More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

It does not rust but a magnet sticks to it...
          that would make me think S.S. in one of its magnetic verity's.
          you could take one to a recycle plant if one is near and have them check it for ya.
          i suspect the place it came from is no longer in business, maybe check some of the local supply places for who delivered it or where it came from. they may know the plant code for marking from talking to one of the welders. or may know one of the local welders from when it was open you could contact to ask.

i have only seen the type marked by stamping it to the end of the stick.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Maybe it's not tig rod

Maybe it's some kind of marker, like they use on lawns when sprayed with inseticide, you didn't get any little flags too did ya?

Comment

Just hang onto it...you will find out someday.
              Heck try some on some steel.
              If a magnet sticks tho then it has some iron.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

take a flap disk or cutting disk and cut or where off 1/2 of one side. see if it might be coated with some thing?? may not help but cant hurt.
                still think looking for some one that used to TIG there would be the best way to go. have you called the local welding supply places??
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

It's possible they could be marked as to coincide with the ''perfrered tungsten'' as well as the particular base metal that was being used.

yellow-1% thorium
                  brown-zirconium... etc,etc

''strive for perfection..but be willing to accept excellence''

Comment

New Forum Member

I'm just figuring this deal out. Have been reading y'alls very interesting and informative writings for some time but just officially joined. I could sit,if I had the time, for hours reading all that is written. I operate a welding/fab shop in Nashville, Ga. We have some of all the welding work. From Al to Ti and in between. Looking forward to learning much. Jbspeed

Comment

My guess would be 304 Stainless steel. Slightly magnetic, and corrosion resistant, unless it comes in contact with mild steel and contaminates it.
                      If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Comment

Just to follow up on this search it came up as an ER630 series stainless. Type 17-4PH. AMS 5825. It's a heat treatable Stainless with moderate corrosive abilities similiar to 304...Thanks everyone for the help..Walt

Comment

I wonder why they painted dit????

For those interested in 17-4,here is a link, Paul

http://www.suppliersonline.com/propertypages/17-4.asp
                          Last edited by paulrbrown; 11-06-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: ?
                          More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I WIN!!!
                            i guessed it first.

glad you got it figured out. so now the question is, do you have a use for it now that you know what it is ???
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                              I WIN!!!
                              i guessed it first.

glad you got it figured out. so now the question is, do you have a use for it now that you know what it is ???
                              Probably use it for wire tieing re-bar Its in the "look at this stuff can". Boeing uses this stuff for repairing turbine blades in aircraft engines. This came from a repair shop at Ohare Airport in Chicago..Thanks again, Walt

Comment

Working...
                              X