Bobcat vs Trailblazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobcat vs Trailblazer

Hey folks, I'm deciding between a Bobcat 250 and a Trailblazer 302 and have determined that either could meet my needs. Any input from current or past users beyond the obvious, as to choice, regarding reliability, maintainability engine selection and anything else you can determine. It's primary use will be a backup generator for the homestead with welding duties as a secondary consideration. I have all inverter machines now and either could run what I have. I'm also favoring gas over diesel and LP. Thoughts and experiences? My current starting load is roughly 8500 watts with a running draw of 6500.

Well, for your purpose you could also think of a Ranger 10,000, about the same price as a Bobcat with more bang for the buck

Comment

Well.............

It was on my list of initial considerations but was ruled out due to the lack of a full enclosure. I thought this was critical enough to rule it out.

Comment

Well a Ranger GXT has a full enclosure as does a Ranger 250

Comment

Before we go further

Just to maintain focus, I eliminated many good machines from all manufacturers for reasons. The two named in my original message above are all that remain to be considered. FWIW, the other Red machines were eliminated for sound levels being higher than the other two above...yup they are significantly louder.

Comment

Have you checked out this page yet? http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ctorguide.html

A very good side by side comparison.
            I have a Trailblazer 302 with the 22hp Subaru,but I haven't ever worked it harder than it could take so I guess you could say I'm happy with it.
            If max generator output is a concern you may want to step up to the 23hp Kohler and gain 500Watts. I also just noticed it's 1 db quieter than the Subaru engine. The Miller with the Subaru has the same db rating as the Lincoln 305G has, interesting.
            Last edited by c wagner; 10-30-2008, 11:28 AM. Reason: Added db info
            at home:
            2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
            2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
            2008 Suitcase 12RC
            Spoolmatic 30A
            WC-24
            2009 Dynasty 200DX
            2000 XMT 304
            2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
            Sold:MM130XP
            Sold:MM 251
            Sold:CST 280

at work:
            Invision 350MP
            Dynasty 350
            Millermatic 350P
            Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Yup...thanks

Yup, I've seen it. I have found Miller to have the best documentation available in a easy to retrieve manner. I have to hand it to them also that they "sell" their product rather than compare it to others. To me that says a lot about the company behind the scene. It's always good to show your strength rather than point out your competitors weakness, at least in my view.

Comment

Sound difference is unlikely as the Ranger 225GXT, or 250 is the same engine as the Bobcat, unless you get the Robin which is somewhat louder than the Kohler

Bobcats have a continuous 9.5K power, whilst the Rangers ( over 225) are continuous 10K

A Miller bobcat costs the same as a Lincoln 250GXT, and several hundred more than the 225GXT. The Lincoln definately has more perks than the Bobcat, as well as a 2 year extended warranty option.

But if my only choices were a Bobcat to a Trailblazer in a Farm application, the Bobcat would rule out, as you really don't need the extra perks that the TB302 has

And they compare there product to others, As others compare there product to theres.

It all comes down to Blue and red.

I fix them all, I just happen to recommend Lincoln as the Better engine drive, and Miller as the better Static machine for the most part.
                Last edited by cruizer; 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Tahnks

The math say 34.66 percent quieter. Appreciate your input.

Comment

Cruizer

Might I ask which engine and or fuel you see the fewest problems for? IE; would you reccomend one engine over another given the choices offered by Miller? Also, could you speak to the durability or ease of maintaining the gen-set itself other than the engine. Is the gen design more reliable in the TB302 vs the BC250? Durability issues with either?

Comment

Cruiser makes a good point, if welding isn't the priority then you are probably better off with the Bobcat over the Trailblazer. It's a simpler machine and a little more friendly on the wallet.
                      at home:
                      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                      2008 Suitcase 12RC
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      WC-24
                      2009 Dynasty 200DX
                      2000 XMT 304
                      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                      Sold:MM130XP
                      Sold:MM 251
                      Sold:CST 280

at work:
                      Invision 350MP
                      Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Kohler is better than the Suburu for after warranty repairs, Haven't seen a Robin last more than 3000 hrs, where as several Kohlers I've seen exceeding 4300 hrs with no problems. The Kohler is an inexpensive rebuild, whilst the Robin is very expensive and usually the welder is tossed.

Mind you these are for engine drives that We've serviced all there life and have been running on 5-50 Synthetic since thier 50hr breakin.

As I mentioned the engines between the Rangers and Miller Gassers are identical

As for the generators on the Bobus and TB 302, very few problems other than the occassional board in the TB. The Bobus is somewhat more symplistic.

As for being quiter, the only reason I can think of is that Miller uses a foam blanket in some of there machines. I don't do alot of the farmer Bobus machines so I can't recall if it's in them or not. Sill same muffler, same engine, same decibel levels
                        Last edited by cruizer; 10-30-2008, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Great

I'll move Kohler up on my engine list. You're far from the first person to say good things about those motors. Back to the generator portion, is there any complications of design in eithers or would you say the electronics (ie:board) are the primary defining item of reliability?

Comment

C Wagner

Shopping locally, I've seen only a $400 to $500 dollar difference in the gas versions....guess I'm thinking that if reliability/maintainability is easier on one or the other that is a small margin at this price point. Then again, maybe I've got more money than sense. I must say I certainly expected my choices to be very different, I initially thought i'd be choosing between different companies but find myself choosing between two different animals in the same pen. Looks like I'll have to wait for some longtime users to chime in with the reality they've learned.

Comment

Well there really isn't any boards in a Bobcat to blow, just a small idle module.

So from a reliablility stand point the Bobus is the way to go, going by your 2 blue choices.

And avoid getting talked into the electric fuel pump. It's only for high altitudes, and it definately has a reliability issue, basically it just supplys fuel to the main mechanical pump in the right side head. Tends to lock off the fuel, then you have to bypass it to get your machine going again.

Comment

Working...
                              X