Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I need more than the Diversion 165?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I think based on that, the Syn200 is what I will go with then. I did not realize (shame on me) that it was not a complete kit like what I got for the 210 or seen advertised for the Sync200.

Guess I better stock up on beer for my buddies to help me lift it downstairs.

Thanks again guys for all your help.

Miller 210
      Diversion 165

Comment

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...TER-200/Detail
        Ed Conley
        MM252
        MM211
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by pdog View Post
          Yeah, I think based on that, the Syn200 is what I will go with then.
          Thanks again guys for all your help.
          Wait a minute!! You said you only have 120v downstairs. The Sync needs 220v and a BIG breaker. My Sync 250 draws 96 amps at full boogie (no, I never use it up there). X-former power supplies are power hungry. You may get away with a 50 amp breaker but look into it first. You'll need a dedicated circuit and the HF may drive your electronics nutz. That and you want to use it in the garage too. Besides, it's a lifetime investment. Dynasty is looking better.

Just a warning.
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

a little food for thought to fallow with Craig in Denver's statement.
            wile the kit is $630 that is not your only option, nore is it the best option.
            the scs foot control is $150 add a flow gages or meeter $55-65 add a #17 torch setup $65 then about $40 for the ground wire and clamp and flow hose. you can build it with a flow meeter instead of gage for $330 or less easy. if you take a little time on e-bay or even shopping around you can do much better. i got setup for a Dyn200 for $250. i got a smith flow meeter for $36 +$8 shipping and a #17 weld craft kit for $45 shipped. like Craig said, its a long term investment. power panel work to cover the syncro could be a few $$ also. not to mention, like ya said it would be much easier to take the Dyn down the stairs. maybe you should look around at possible prices. the Dyn200Dx comes with Din's connectors, so you don't need to buy them.

just some thing for you to think about.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

JAMES:
              Although I bleed Blue, where does the TA-185 fit into this, pricewise? And doesn't that price mean 'ready to weld'? I think you've said it's only 220v, but it won't have the high draw of a x-former. And Pdog will be able to get it up and down the stairs. I don't think HF (hi-freq, not harbor freight) is an issue with inverters either.

With the economy troubles, both the Dynasty and TA's may be showing up used.
              Last edited by Craig in Denver; 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM.
              RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
              sigpic

Comment

All good points guys. Running a dedicated line to the basement is not an issue, additional cost, but I can do it myself.

I will take a look at some of the items you listed there and see what my "true" cost would be. Many positives for the Dyn, with price being really the only negative. But it sure would be nice to take it with me to a job or someone else's house to fix something.

[email protected] it, here we go again. Tell you what, I will give you guys my cc # and order me what you think I need

On the plus side, sold a few more parts from my old motor. If the aluminum heads go for close to $1400 soon, a purchase may be days away (if I can ever decide on what to buy).

Miller 210
                Diversion 165

Comment

The cost of the Dyn will hurt a little up front but no one regrets getting them.

Comment

First off I want to thank everyone for their help. This board is great and everyone is extremely helpful.

Let me ask a dumb question. Since I tend to overkill all the tools I buy (bad habit from my father, but I do have some nice stuff ), would the Diversion 165 weld 1/8 mild and stainless steel tubing for headers and eventually .134 thick MS or .083 CM down the line for a rollcage, and also aluminum less than ¼” thick? I am generally the type that will buy something expensive when I do not really need it all, but like having it and does not mind paying for it. With work slowing down and hearing from a few others (on other boards as well), maybe I am jumping the gun again and overextending myself for something I may not need, at least not at this time. The money I save could be used elsewhere, not just for the project car but my truck (new tires/brakes) and the holidays coming up. I am not saying I do not want the Syn or Dyn, I will probably own one of those machines one day. But could the Div 165 fit my needs now and keep me happy with what I really need to do (mostly for the SS headers) and learn how to TIG since I am as newbie as they come

Sorry for the length of this, I think I realized that for the first time in many years I have to really think if one of my toys fits my budget. Usually not something I even consider, but things have slowed in this area a bit. If you tell me the Div165 will not do what I need now, that is a completely different story then. Sorry if I wasted anyone’s time. I usually think like the others here, if you are going to spend X now and Y later for something better, why not just buy Y now. This is one time I am not sure that is a good move for me.

Miller 210
                    Diversion 165

Comment

the TA-185 is an excellent option

the TA-185 is an option many in your situation (myself included) went with. many on the board have them and can attest to the quality of the welder.
                      its 240V only bit offers very close to the same adjust ability as the Dyn200. i think they are about $2100 ready to weld. the draw 30amps just like the Dyn200 and have a great arc.
                      i got mine threw IOC but i think B&R also cary them. its not blue, but caries a 3 year warranty and has been a solid unit for me and many others here and on lots of forums. i don't think you will find a welding forum that dose not have a few members with one. definitely some thing to consider if the Dyn200 is outside your $$ range.

as for the economy and the possibility of used ones coming up, mine may well be one of them if my Mercedes dose not sell today.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

Good luck on your sale.

Yeah, that is like the unit Broccoli1 posted up a few posts back. Looks like a nice unit. I guess ever since I got the 210 I have thought as Miller as the one and only that I would ever get from again. I will do a little research on the TA, don't know much about that one.
                        Last edited by pdog; 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM.

Miller 210
                        Diversion 165

Comment

Pdog:
                          There's nothing wrong with your long post, nor is anything wrong with rethinking your priorities.

I don't know anything about the Diversion, other than it won't stick weld; so I'll leave that to others.

I just reread the first page of this thread, it looks like we're back to the begining.
                          RETIRED desk jockey.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                          sigpic

Comment

Good luck on your sale.

Yeah, that is like the unit Broccoli1 posted up a few posts back. Looks like a nice unit. I guess ever since I got the 210 I have thought as Miller as the one and only that I would ever get from again. I will do a little research on the TA, don't know much about that one.
                            Honestly, I think the Diversion would do just fine.
                            Ed Conley
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Thanks guys, good points. No need to upgrade power in the garage, already have a dedicated line for the 210. I usually like to overkill my tool purchases for the "future" need of more power,

Thanks guys.
                              After many hand me downs, smashed up junkers and making one welder out of three I ended up back in 91 with a Synchrowave 350 fully loaded down to power factor caps except spot timer. Wet torch with cooler and heavy duty foot control. In 02 purchased a 251 MM w/30A spoolgun, two bottle cart, two regulators, I believe one was an extra thrown in for free. I use the ball flow meters. A week later with more cash got the Speedglas 9000i hood.
                              Two owner owned 280 cu/ft bottles Argon and C-25. This all for my personal hobby use. I may be called guilty of overkill. Best part total out of pocket for all this equipment cost me beween $260 to $280, yes no mistype on money out of pocket. Job site copper paid for my welders plus my company had me welding aluminum poles on weekends at home. The welders more than paid for themselves. I love my Millers these are keepers, I could not afford these new welder price. www.cyberweld.com seems the best price for welders.
                              When shopping for the 251 MM with the other items posted above for it one Miller store was dead set at $3,462 before taxes, 28 miles away another Miller store out the door after taxes $2,506. For what I wanted on a loaded 250 Synchro it was cheaper to get the 350 Synchro.
                              And yes the extra power is nice vs a underpowered Tig welder.
                              Buy a more amperage welder than you think you will ever need, you will grow into it or do a job sometime that needs that extra amperage. Tig aluminum and watch the heat go away real fast. Shop around fot the best price.
                              Last edited by Carl W.; 11-05-2008, 12:41 AM.

Comment

wile i will be the first to say i would love to have an all blue shop. my plasma and MIG are blue when it came to TIG i had to go inverter and the TA-185 was the best i could afford, i don't regret my choice.
                                i think you need to consider duty cycles. the 1/4" aluminum i don't think the div-165 will be up to that task, but the rest of your needs will be coverd. just a question of the duty cycle being a problem or not ??

there is not much of the duty cycle listed for the div-165 just 150amps at 20%, i suspect that would put 165 amps at 10% but don't have the facts on that. but this is what i could find.
                                div-165.............................150amps @ 20%

the Dyn-200......................200amps @ 20%
                                .......................................150amps @ 60%
                                ........................................140amps @ 40%
                                ........................................100amps @ 100%

TA-185.............................185amps @ 30%
                                .......................................160amps @ 40%
                                .......................................130amps @ 60%
                                .......................................100amps @ 100%

as i said be for the Dyn200 contractors kit can be put together for much less than it is to buy as a kit. it takes a little time but can save you a bunch and get you a flow meeter instead of a flow gage. many prefer the meeter to the gage. it is nice to look over and see the lil ball floating at a glance. i got a flow meeter and like it better myself. a weld craft torch setup is an excellent option and can be found on e-bay at a much better price then you will find in any of the on-line stores. the SCS foot control is a big savings and a great controller. i have one and they come as standard equipment on the TA welders and the red ones i think some one said.its wide, low and very comfortable as well as invertible to get the cord on aether side as needed just by flipping it over. at first i didn't see the point to caring where the cord came out, after using one for a wile ( this is my first TIG) i found it a useful option.

you just need to decide on how much you can put into a TIG. its a big decision that will effect you for many years to come. yes its a lot of $$ today, but you will have it for years. spending a little more now for some thing you will have longer than the car in the drive way doesn't seem like so bad an idea. do you want to just get by for that time or be happy every time you turn on your TIG. its a long term purchase and should be looked at as such. my MIG and plasma have outlived the riding mower i spent more $$ on and the MIG helped increase the life of the mower. just the same i am shopping for another mower and still very happy with my MIG & plasma cutter. wile every thing else seems to be reaching its fall apart date, my MIG, TIG, and plasma cutter are still running as good as new. true you can upgrade later, and if thats what you need to do then do it. it will be a few $100 more that way as your sale will be a little less than purchase price and the one you want will have gone up in price but it can be done. and it may be the best choice for you now.
                                wile you joke about giving us your CC# so we can just get you what you need. it really is your $$ and there for you have to decide. get what you will need in the long run now, or get what you can and upgrade later.. i think you can get by with the div165, but the Dyn200 is a better fit for your needs.
                                you should also keep in mind the div165 comes ready to weld with a finger control not foot. many find learning with a finger control much harder as its more for your hands to try to do without moving around. you can get a foot control for it for a few more $'s and you may want to consider it when you chose what you get.

all this probably just made the choice harder rather than easier. but the more info you have up front, the better chance you have of making the best choice for you. so i hope it helps a little.

i don't know if its a typo in the listing page or just some thing i don't understand for the 140amps to be less duty than the 150amps, maybe it got switched when the page was set up ?? maybe some one with a Dyn and a its book can help ??

P.S. and you thought you had a long post. LOL
                                thanks for the help
                                ......or..........
                                hope i helped
                                sigpic
                                JAMES

Comment

Working...
                                X