Mild Steel filler metal storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mild Steel filler metal storage

Well I headed out to my storage shed, and went to grab a couple mildsteel filler rods, and noticed they started to rust. Will this affect my welds, and is it necessary to wipe off the rust or can I weld as normal with no ill effects. I now keep mild steel filler metal in the house where the temp is controlled with little humidity, but I was wondering if some of you had this same problem.
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

I'm assuming you're talking about cut lengths for GTAW or O/A, right? Either way, rust is bad as you have no flux to clean the oxides out of the weld pool....
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Cruz, get a 'Rodguard' tube for your Tig [36"] and 14 or 18 inch for Stick rods, I have had uncoated steel tig rods outside for 7 years with no rust, your LWS will have them, hope this helps, Paul
      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Thanks allot, and I will go out and get a rod guard for all my rods, both tig and stick. I seen those containers in the LWS, but it didnt look like it would of kept my tig and stick rods dry, but I pondered the idea of throwing in a little device that takes the moisture out of the air, like damp rid, but if the containers will do the trick then I will go and pick them up tomorrow. Thanks Paul!

Comment

Throwing in a desiccant pack wouldn't be a bad idea in the tig electrodes.... as fat as your stick electrodes... if they're xx18 they really should be kept inside and heated... (if you've got a forced hot air furnace, sticking them inside the inspection door of the furnace is pretty much the perfect place to keep them with the exception of a rod oven) if they're 6013/6011... a desiccant pack in a rodguard would do just fine..
          Bobcat 225NT
          Cutmaster 52
          Caterpillar TH63
          '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by usmcruz View Post
            Thanks allot, and I will go out and get a rod guard for all my rods, both tig and stick. I seen those containers in the LWS, but it didnt look like it would of kept my tig and stick rods dry, but I pondered the idea of throwing in a little device that takes the moisture out of the air, like damp rid, but if the containers will do the trick then I will go and pick them up tomorrow. Thanks Paul!
            I like my LWS but they wanted 24 bux each so I shopped on-line

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...let/Categories

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ad.php?t=14252
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

bretsk2500, Im gonna just go ahead and drop the coin on a medium sized rod oven, capable of 100 pounds of electrodes, and get a smaller portable unit for the truck. From what I experienced, the heated 7018's work so much better right out of an oven. I just been dragging my feet on it, because good rod ovens aint cheap, but Id rather not sacrifice the quality of a weld when doing a job, just because I didnt want to spend the coin. Id rather not do a job, and lose the money, than to do a job, and it look crappy from porosity due to moisture in my 7018 rods. Now with that said, what kind of oven would you recommend?

Im definately getting those containers tomorrow though.

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post

IOC rocks, I bought my TB302 from them. Excellent customer service.

You know when you think you have everything you need tools wise, you always come across something else that you need. I think this is what causes that big hole in my wallet that makes my paychecks disappear!. Those brackets you made using that brake, came out really nice. Now I need to go get a brake, thanks man.

Comment

bretsk2500, Im gonna just go ahead and drop the coin on a medium sized rod oven, capable of 100 pounds of electrodes, and get a smaller portable unit for the truck. From what I experienced, the heated 7018's work so much better right out of an oven. I just been dragging my feet on it, because good rod ovens aint cheap, but Id rather not sacrifice the quality of a weld when doing a job, just because I didnt want to spend the coin. Id rather not do a job, and lose the money, than to do a job, and it look crappy from porosity due to moisture in my 7018 rods. Now with that said, what kind of oven would you recommend?

Im definately getting those containers tomorrow though.
                  I don't have a rod oven, but I'm trying like **** to get my employers to buy me a Keen KT10 portable oven for my job trailer... What I'm doing now is just buying the smallest amount I can in factory sealed containers and while I'm welding, set the metal can on an old burnt welding glove over the muffler area of my bobcat... not very elegant, but it works.
                  Bobcat 225NT
                  Cutmaster 52
                  Caterpillar TH63
                  '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Originally posted by bretsk2500 View Post
                    while I'm welding, set the metal can on an old burnt welding glove over the muffler area of my bobcat... not very elegant, but it works.

Nice!, I hear you can make some muffler lunches that way too by wrapping the food around the muffler using tin foil. It probably gives it that nice sooty aroma.

Comment

Nice!, I hear you can make some muffler lunches that way too by wrapping the food around the muffler using tin foil. It probably gives it that nice sooty aroma.
                      Don't knock it until ya' try it. I do it every night at work and my brakeman tells me I eat better than 95% of the people at home. One of my favorites is asparagus with black beans, but chicken burritos, chicken chili and brussel sprouts also get top ranking. On the cold serve side of the menu is a great tuna, green bean, baby potato, olive oil and baby tomato salad with Italian herbs...learned to make it watching that Italian gal with the great chest on the Food Network.

As far as the rod ovens go...mine weighs a ton, takes up too much room and is sitting empty right now.
                      Last edited by WyoRoy; 10-30-2008, 03:27 PM.
                      Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                      Miller DialArc 250
                      Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                      Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                      Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                      Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                      South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                      Logan 7" shaper
                      Ellis 3000 band saw
                      Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                      Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                      3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                      Lots of dust bunnies
                      Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoRoy View Post
                        learned to make it watching that Italian gal with the great chest on the Food Network.

I watch her too, but I end up missing the cooking side of it, because of her great rack of ribs, chicken ******, and nice rump roasts that is usually cooking as well.

Comment

Cheap yet very nice and effective.

1 1/2" SCHD 40 PVC and a couple of end caps make very effective yet cheap GTAW filler storage containers. Glue one end cap and leave the other dry so ti is easy to remove. If you want something a bit slicker, then use female adapters and a threaded plug on each end. A black Sharpie is a great labeler if you have several containers to keep on hand. As already mentioned a packet of silica gel is great addition to most dry storage containers.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK View Post
                            1 1/2" SCHD 40 PVC and a couple of end caps make very effective yet cheap GTAW filler storage containers. Glue one end cap and leave the other dry so ti is easy to remove. If you want something a bit slicker, then use female adapters and a threaded plug on each end. A black Sharpie is a great labeler if you have several containers to keep on hand. As already mentioned a packet of silica gel is great addition to most dry storage containers.
                            That's an awesome Idea, I'm going to have to sneak down to the hardware store and get some supplies for that. If the wife catches me on the way to the hardware store she'll want me to renovate something, and we can't have that!!!
                            at home:
                            2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                            2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                            2008 Suitcase 12RC
                            Spoolmatic 30A
                            WC-24
                            2009 Dynasty 200DX
                            2000 XMT 304
                            2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                            Sold:MM130XP
                            Sold:MM 251
                            Sold:CST 280

at work:
                            Invision 350MP
                            Dynasty 350
                            Millermatic 350P
                            Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK View Post
                              I've made my own for years, out of inch & a quarter or, inch & a half PVC. I use two end caps, glue both on, & use a male & female adapter about ten inches from the end, sure makes it easier to get the rods out.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Frank865; 10-31-2008, 08:15 AM. Reason: add picture
                              Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                              My own shop since 1981
                              Cya Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X