arc aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc aluminum

well its time to hopefully get some handlines welded before it dumps snow. i realize handlines are thin by the time they need repaired. i dont have a tig so i oxy/acetylene them. but, I just bought a tb302, and i believe i can arc weld a few of the lines in better shape. i have done this before with an old miller i had. i am open for some suggestions on rod and amp settings. and any tips. thanks.
    DAY WELDING LLc

1992 dodge cummins welding truck
    trailblazer 302
    2004 cummins welding truck.
    old SA 200
    Victor torch set
    Lots of crazy ideas!!

Day, a little more info, what are hand lines and how do they relate to Aluminum???, Best Regards,Paul
    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

hahah. sorry paul, i forget not everyone is a farmer on the forum. lol. handlines are a 4"od aluminum pipe, 40' long. they hook together and transport water down the field. each one has a sprinkler bird in the middle of it to irrigate the crop with. they get old and get holes in them, or they get ran over, need cut and welded back together. Just like anything, water runs through it enough it wears thin. Tig and oxy/acetylene are what most guys i know weld them with. a lot of the wire feed guns are a pain to do them with. i have better luck with a 3/32 arc rod than doing wire feed on the thin stuff. But, i am jsut interested on aluminum welding advice in general involving arc . i know there is a call for it around my area, but until i can afford a spool gun or better yet, a tig for my machine, i am limited to arc and oxy/acetylene. i appriciate anything you can tell me.
      DAY WELDING LLc

trailblazer 302
      old SA 200
      Victor torch set
      Lots of crazy ideas!!

Comment

SMAW aluminum is difficult at best. With a lot of practice you can do it, but "thin" is going to make it that much more difficult. How thick are you calling something "thin"?

Comment

lol. thin is probably around 0.020. some of the parts are a 3/8 thick coupler, and attaching to about an 1/8 inch thick pipe. the coupler to pipe are what im most interested in advice on. im not real sure on heat settings or welding motions. i assume a circular motion would be the best.
          DAY WELDING LLc

trailblazer 302
          old SA 200
          Victor torch set
          Lots of crazy ideas!!

Comment

Working...
          X