No room for a hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No room for a hood

Ive got some welding to do under my semi trailer where I only have about 3 inches vertical clearance. If I wear the hood I cant see the weld area. I did some tacking using only sunglasses and holding the gun to hide the arc. The welds didnt turn out so good. What can I use for shade in this kind of close quarters?
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

That's easy. Go find a leather hood. It will be lots smaller than a regular one and will "give" to squeeze into tight areas. The ones I have seen use a 2x4 , regular sized lens.

http://www.weilerwelding.com/shopsit.../Weldhelm.html

http://www.thegangbox.com/c-29-leath...ding-hood.aspx

http://www.nextag.com/HUNTSMAN-800-S...86/prices-html
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Not knowing your situation, I'll just spout off ideas as they come:

Any way to raise the trailer? Jacking it, driving it onto blocks, etc...
      Can you dig a hole underneath to give yourself more room?
      Can you remove the lens from your hood and insert it behind a hole in a piece of steel, plywood, or leather?

Comment

Pancake hood

Like Mac said make or buy a pancake hood.
        Good luck
        L*S

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ke+hood&page=3

See post #30

Comment

Again not knowing what you are doing or how. I picked this up at the LWS garage sale event a number of years ago. I haven't used it yet and haven't hooked it on to the MIG unit as it would get damaged laying around.
          So I am not endorsing it etc.

Will the wonders of the internet never cease They got a web site http://www.accustrike.com/mig.htm
          glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

The floor of the trailer is supported by I beams. The I beams sit on the slider rails. The slider rails have cracked away from the I beams. So if you can picture this there is the slider rail then the I beam then a wood floor. It wouldnt matter if the trailer was jack up on its side or upside down, Id still only have a couple inches to work with. Its so close that I really cant even position the gun at the proper angle. So you understand, Im welding between the wood floor(top) and the slider rail(bottom). I have to reach under the trailer and keep my head out beside the outside frame rail to even get a glimpse of what Im doing. Each weld would be less than 2 inches long, but thats on each side of the I beam on both sides of the trailer and probably 20 crossmembers. As it is now Im only tacking the outside edge.

The close proximity is one of the reasons I bought the Thunderbolt. I thought I could bend the electrode to get the right angle. Too late I found out about something called "inrush" and couldnt use my generator. So now Ive got two welders. I suppose it wont be too long before I go out and get a Max 150 since now Ive learned the difference between transformers and inverters.

I hope Ive explained that well enough that its not mud.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
            Old cutting torch on LPG

Comment

nfinch86-CANADIAN WELDOR :

Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
              The floor of the trailer is supported by I beams. The I beams sit on the slider rails. The slider rails have cracked away from the I beams. So if you can picture this there is the slider rail then the I beam then a wood floor. It wouldnt matter if the trailer was jack up on its side or upside down, Id still only have a couple inches to work with. Its so close that I really cant even position the gun at the proper angle. So you understand, Im welding between the wood floor(top) and the slider rail(bottom). I have to reach under the trailer and keep my head out beside the outside frame rail to even get a glimpse of what Im doing. Each weld would be less than 2 inches long, but thats on each side of the I beam on both sides of the trailer and probably 20 crossmembers. As it is now Im only tacking the outside edge.

The close proximity is one of the reasons I bought the Thunderbolt. I thought I could bend the electrode to get the right angle. Too late I found out about something called "inrush" and couldnt use my generator. So now Ive got two welders. I suppose it wont be too long before I go out and get a Max 150 since now Ive learned the difference between transformers and inverters.

I hope Ive explained that well enough that its not mud.
              HI; WHAT IS INRUSH !!.... Norm :
              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

PT:
                That's a cool gadget. I wonder if the lenses are replaceable. It looks like they're pretty close to the weld. I understand that you're just passing on info and don't know any more about it than I do.
                RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                sigpic

Comment

Looking over the instruction sheet, the clear lens in front of the shaded one is. They have another version of it with a magnetic base. It is shown on the website in my other post.
                  glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

If the floor is getting old too, I would re-deck the trailer and go in from the top while the floor is out.

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                      WHAT IS, IN RUSH :
                      it's the question to the Jeopardy!(tm) answer: "Geddy Lee is famous because he was."

Comment

Originally posted by Leons2003 View Post
                        Like Mac said make or buy a pancake hood.
                        Good luck
                        L*S

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ke+hood&page=3

See post #30

Pancakes don't fit into tighter places than a bucket hood, it's the opposite, they won't go into places a bucket will.

JTMcC.
                        Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

My understanding of in rush is the amount of juice it takes to energize the transformer.

Miller 180 w/Autoset
                          Old cutting torch on LPG

Comment

Originally posted by PUMPKINHEAD View Post
                            it's the question to the Jeopardy!(tm) answer: "Geddy Lee is famous because he was."
                            Okay, that was clever!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyingpig View Post
                              Ive got some welding to do under my semi trailer where I only have about 3 inches vertical clearance. If I wear the hood I cant see the weld area. I did some tacking using only sunglasses and holding the gun to hide the arc. The welds didnt turn out so good. What can I use for shade in this kind of close quarters?
                              You might try a standard set of 2"x4" cutting goggles with piece of cardboard or gasket paper fitted to them as a face shield. Used that a number of times in tight spots tig welding boiler tubes.

Comment

Working...
                              X